Economic Development - Expansions and Relocations

J-Rob

A new corporate headquarters will be established in Charlotte, NC, including an Innovation and Technology Center to drive digital transformation. In the current home markets for both companies, the combined company will maintain the Community Banking Center in Winston-Salem, NC and the Wholesale Banking Center in Atlanta, GA.

Banking jobs awesome yes, but I like the fact of the tech jobs even more.

Suntrust has relatively new space in South Park  100ksqft+- I think and BBT has well BBT Tower Uptown.   I wonder what they do how they consolidate/expand.  Will be winners and loosers in that.  If I was owners of aging/old BBT tower I'd be nervous, even with the around the edges renovations they have announced.

Edited by navigator319
  • Like 3

Charlotte back to #2 and not by a thread banking center in the USA with this merger.  I am betting there will be a new office and since uptown is always been the banking center look for something.  BB&T reduced their space in BB&T Center uptown a few years ago and SunTrust in Sharon Square in southpark has no place to expand.  

View from the Triad Business Journal

https://www.bizjournals.com/triad/news/2019/02/07/bb-t-merging-with-suntrust-establishing-hq-in.html?ana=e_me_set1&s=newsletter&ed=2019-02-07&u=oAaDx%2B74FoP4qOJ%2By4AU6dhJPpc&t=1549545478&j=86519721

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 3

21 minutes ago, lancer22 said:

Also this has LU3 written all over it

Speak of ugly and it will appear...

Would be interesting to see if the newly named master developers who win the 7th & Tryon Development lands them and ups the corporate office from 15 stories. 

• Like 1

Why saying Legacy 3 could be the Legacy 4 tower???  I think they will anchor their own building but it wont be new tallest.  BB&T can't speak for Suntrust but BB&T is very committed to the cities it serves with large numbers of employees in downtown Winston, in a large customer service center right near Piedmont Triad Airport (old Amex campus) and they still committed to downtown Wilson where the bank was founded with a new office building to replace 2 older ones that are in need of renovation.  

There are already big companies looking at Legacy 3 hint think bees so this could be one larger tower or a possible Legacy 4 tower.   Very exciting.  Kelly King is a fantastic CEO 

Interesting factoid on SunTrust:   they had the original formula for Coca Cola in their vault for many many decades until it was moved from their vault to World of CocaCola where it is under wraps there.  

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, Urbs42 said:

Any guesses as to how many new jobs this would mean for CLT, and would it really require a large tower?

The reporting seems to indicate the banks will keep substantial operations and employees in Atlanta and Winston.  

I think and this is a guess it would be the corporate staff 300-500 but with this technology center not sure how big that could be could be the same size.  I do think they will keep alot of back office work back in Winston, their customer center in Greensboro by the airport and Atlanta .  This is called a merger of equals but there is always   one partner more equal than the other.

As for Legacy BofA has no ownership there just a major tenant and if this new bank wanted to go there I am sure they would in their own tower.   However a site of N Tryon  would be good too just depends on how much space they would need.  

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 2

They could always dust off those plans to build a tower on top of the spiral part of their parking deck...Not sure how tall of a tower it could support.  Think they build new though somewhere else to make a statement. 

*My choice would be the last 'vacant' lot next to The Ascent near Romare.  I think this is such a prime spot, as it is the last spot to build adjacent to the park, and how fitting, it's right next to BB&T ballpark.  

Edited by CharlotteWkndBuzz

The real estate part of this deal for Charlotte will come quite later in the year as they get closer to regulatory approval.   Lets all discuss this is the new BB&T thread as we will be talking about a long time after today since those decisions on real estate will come later. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, navigator319 said:

If I was owners of aging/old BBT tower I'd be nervous, even with the around the edges renovations they have announced.

I'll bet you're right.  The merger could be great news for the owners of BB&T Center, or it could be a disaster.

Good points about BB&T Center:  terrific location as the hub of Overstreet Mall; ample parking with excellent vehicular access and egress via tunnels under College Street.

Defects:  1970s aesthetic;  poor ground floor presence; three huge, difficult to lease floors which extend over the parking deck -- 60,000 SF each.

The three big floors were built for Southern Bell (later BellSouth), the dominant tenant until they built their own building.  Though it was not widely known, BofA took most of the space BellSouth vacated, including at least two of the big floors (maybe all three -- not sure), for its "back office" space.  I'm guessing that BofA will move out, into Legacy or elsewhere, but BB&T Center might offer them a deep discount on the big floors, in recognition of the fact that there aren't many potential tenants who need that kind of space.

37 minutes ago, southernnorthcarolina said:

The three big floors were built for Southern Bell (later BellSouth), the dominant tenant until they built their own building.  Though it was not widely known, BofA took most of the space BellSouth vacated, including at least two of the big floors (maybe all three -- not sure), for its "back office" space.  I'm guessing that BofA will move out, into Legacy or elsewhere, but BB&T Center might offer them a deep discount on the big floors, in recognition of the fact that there aren't many potential tenants who need that kind of space.

This is true, but BofA vacated their space (the big floors) in this building 5 years ago now.

9 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

Most of those huge floors are now occupied.   I have an existing building for new bank would be Charlotte Plaza

Doesn't Grant Thorton have rights to their name on top or could that easily be dropped for signing on a bigger tenant? 

Ramping up the digital teams in Charlotte is going to be where most of the big job growth is in the future in the banking industry and at SunTrust/BB&T. I'd expect at least a couple hundred jobs for digital product managers, digital risk, web developers, artificial intelligence, architecture,  etc... in addition to finance, HR, supply chain, etc... and other corporate functions moving here over time. Charlotte is definitely getting the high growth function of the combined company in addition to the executive leadership. 

Edited by CLT2014

4 hours ago, Urbs42 said:

Any guesses as to how many new jobs this would mean for CLT, and would it really require a large tower?

The reporting seems to indicate the banks will keep substantial operations and employees in Atlanta and Winston.  

I'll guess 4,000 new jobs within 5 years.

• Like 4