Economic Development - Expansions and Relocations

J-Rob

7 hours ago, j-man said:

Do yall really believe they would have interest or even want to include a new headquarter building along with a development that caters to BofA that much or even be associated with LU since it is mostly already planned out? This is the perfect opportunity to extend some development on the north side of uptown which could spark more buzz and eventually have a more balanced skyline lol. I think the land next to the new apartment tower Market 42 would be ideal. I'm claiming a new top 5 tallest tower. 

As much as we don't like to admit it, the only thing North Tryon really has going for it is the Tryon address. All of the momentum in Uptown is moving south (Stonewall, Romare-Bearden, ballpark, LU, Ally Center, proximity to South End etc). 

Also, I think people give way too much credence to going into a development that contains another bank. To me what is important is if you are going into the same BUILDING. A new tower at LU would be similar distance wise between LU, LU2, Ally, DEC etc.

5 hours ago, southernnorthcarolina said:

I'll bet you're right.  The merger could be great news for the owners of BB&T Center, or it could be a disaster.

Good points about BB&T Center:  terrific location as the hub of Overstreet Mall; ample parking with excellent vehicular access and egress via tunnels under College Street.

Defects:  1970s aesthetic;  poor ground floor presence; three huge, difficult to lease floors which extend over the parking deck -- 60,000 SF each.

The three big floors were built for Southern Bell (later BellSouth), the dominant tenant until they built their own building.  Though it was not widely known, BofA took most of the space BellSouth vacated, including at least two of the big floors (maybe all three -- not sure), for its "back office" space.  I'm guessing that BofA will move out, into Legacy or elsewhere, but BB&T Center might offer them a deep discount on the big floors, in recognition of the fact that there aren't many potential tenants who need that kind of space.

Methinks disaster

2 minutes ago, norm21499 said:

I was thinking, The SunTrust/BB&T merger was kept tight lipped because they didn't want the news leaking out on this website LOL!

Bank mergers are done in secret with fake names meeting at odd locations outside of normal offices and both of these banks know how to keep it under wraps.  The Winston Salem mayor knew it at 6.30 am according to the W-S Journal. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, J-Rob said:

What about Spectrum? I thought the general consensus was that HW would go there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would say everyone is pitching Honeywell from LH, Spectrum, Portman and others we don't even know about.  Since Lendingtree is back out there now who knows but I seem to think they will land in SouthEnd somewhere.  Spectrum is the current landlord for Honeywell but every developer worth his or her salt is pitching Honeywell.  

• Like 4

2 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Bank mergers are done in secret with fake names meeting at odd locations outside of normal offices and both of these banks know how to keep it under wraps.  The Winston Salem mayor knew it at 6.30 am according to the W-S Journal. 

Yep. Looking at the advisors on the deal, there were certainly several meetings in NYC. Easy for bank execs to fly to NYC without raising any suspicion. 

Goldman Sachs books some conference rooms under made up names. That’s how this stuff happens. 

• Like 3

15 hours ago, J-Rob said:

What about Spectrum? I thought the general consensus was that HW would go there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The general consensus is, nobody knows, seemed like the best fit, but every company imaginable have brought exciting proposals across their table.  So we are all playing the waiting game.

I said this a long time ago Amazon would be better splitting this into many pieces and look for each city's strengths like Fintech here in Charlotte. 

I do think this is very funny and @QCxpat mentioned this possibility to me a few days ago that they might pull out of NYC.    Remains to be see if they pull out altogether but maybe they should break the NYC piece up into more pieces.  

Here is an article about their reconsideration of NYC 

https://www.bizjournals.com/washington/news/2019/02/08/amazon-reconsidering-its-new-york-city-hq2-site.html?ana=e_ae_set1&s=article_du&ed=2019-02-08&u=oAaDx%2B74FoP4qOJ%2By4AU6dhJPpc&t=1549659356&j=86562291

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 2

"A vale of humility between two mountains of conceit."

Supposedly said by Vance about North Carolina. The two mountains of conceit are Virginia and South Carolina. This is also attributed to Alexander Hamilton, but probably predates both Hamilton and Vance.

From the wikipedia page of Zebulon Vance, Civil War Governor of N. C.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

Buried in this article about Lowes moving their corporate jets from Statesville to CLT airport is this.  

""A spokeswoman for the company said a large number of Lowe’s senior leaders reside in Charlotte or closer to the Charlotte airport than to Statesville, and that most of the company's corporate activities such as board meetings and annual shareholder meetings take place in Charlotte.""
https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2019/02/28/lowes-to-build-hangar-at-clt-relocating-aviation.html?iana=hpmvp_clt_news_headline

the new CEO lives in Quail Hollow which is in deep in south Charlotte.  I think there might be some execs working out of a Lowes tech center office in the future which should be located somewhere uptown or close by.  Keep a watch on this.  Lowes is going through a lot of changes right now.  And there are already rumors out there about a Charlotte office. 

You should have put this in the Southend thread cuz I think its just a matter of time ;-)