Economic Development - Expansions and Relocations

J-Rob

Mainland and Hong King Chinese investors are looking to 2nd tier US cities for investments and this article in the South China Morning Post mentions Charlotte.   Remember the Chinese were the financial partners of the then total spec 615 South College Regions building that is now been sold to another investor. 

https://amp.scmp.com/property/article/3001588/yield-king-real-estate-investors-ditch-new-york-la-second-tier-us-cities

Heard on the beach from a guy I met who worked with Toyota North America from Kentucky.  He works with Toyota NA corporate and stayed behind to work in KY and did not move to Dallas.  He said all the northern Kentucky people were rooting for Charlotte to get the 4000 person office but he said corporate thought our residential real estate market could not absorb that many people at once.  They consolidating their SoCal offices in Torrance CA and their northern KY offices into a huge office campus in Plano.  I still think DFW's flight to Japan played apart too but it was interesting hearing he and many others in the KY office wanted to come to Charlotte.   He said some of his coworkers who did move found the prices much higher and of course the property taxes are out of sight in Texas (due to no income tax) 

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
On 7/3/2019 at 6:00 PM, KJHburg said:

This sounds like a major expansion in the works for an aerospace materials manufacturer in Monroe.  Union County has the largest aerospace cluster in the state and provides many parts for both Airbus and Boeing.  

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2019/07/03/metals-processor-planning-large-new-facility-in.html

Honda Aircraft is based in Greensboro too, which adds to NC's allure as an aviation hub.   

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

Honda Aircraft is based in Greensboro too, which adds to NC's allure as an aviation hub.   

they have several large employers at PTI airport including Honda Aircraft and HAECO a Hong Kong based aviation maintenance company.  That is another aviation hub in the state for sure. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, A2. said:

Keep an eye on this one fellow UP peeps. Not to be a harbinger of bad things I pray. And, trust you me, I certainly don’t want to contribute negative vibes, but this is a very interesting article that could have a domino effect on the rest of the sector and the global economy.

While Deutsche Banks restructuring doesn’t necessarily mean bad things to come, the ONE KEY is their unbelievable amount of derivatives that they hold. Counter party risks are HIGH with this one.  

So bottom line:

Deutsche Banks success is in EVERYONES interest, as the Trillions of derivatives are truly weapons of mass financial destruction. My personal take is that this will be patched (if even from behind the scene, think IMF and Global Central Banks). However, with their prominent position in the Financial world, a misstep  could result in a bad domino effect, that has the potential to create a global tsunami of chaos. 

(Think Lehman....)

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-07-07/deutsche-bank-you-know-it-no-more-db-exits-global-equities-84-billion-overhaul

A2.

They have been hemorrhaging money over the last 10 years, after a merger fell through in May, this was imminent. All Euro banks have done this on a smaller scale because Wall street is much better in the global equities business. The clients will and already have gone elsewhere for the most part. This would be much worse if their lending side collapsed.

Biggest econ development projects in NC so far this year and bold ones are in the Charlotte region and or our primary tv market LOL. 

Here’s a look at the job wins announced by the North Carolina Department of Commerce through June 30:

Lowe’s: 1,600 jobs, Mecklenburg County
Chewy: 1,200 jobs, Rowan County
Greenheck Group, 400 jobs, Cleveland County

CleanAire, 305 jobs, Wilson County
Aetna, 300 jobs, Guilford County
Pacon Manufacturing Corporation, 299 jobs, Brunswick County
Parexel International Corporation, 264 jobs, Durham County
SynergyLabs, 237 jobs, Burke County
Design Foundry, 202 jobs, Catawba County

Cellectis, 200 jobs, Wake County
AveXis, 200 jobs, Durham County
Broad River Retail/Ashley HomeStore, 161 jobs, Johnston County
BestCo LLC, 141 jobs, Iredell County
VBC Manufacturing, 130 jobs, Richmond County
Pella Corporation, 124 jobs, Rockingham County
KriGen Pharmaceuticals, 100 jobs, Harnett County
AmeriQual Aseptic, 76 jobs, Montgomery County
ENG Mobile Systems, 60 jobs, Cumberland County
Loba-Wakol, LLC, 24 jobs, Anson County
Superior Plastics Extrusion Company, 13 jobs, Richmond County

from this subscriber Triangle Business Journal article also

""Chris Chung, CEO of the Economic Development Partnership of North Carolina, says there’s a healthy pipeline of companies considering North Carolina for “close to a couple hundred active projects at this particular time.” Statewide, several of those are business recruitment efforts, he says. And some prospects are actively eyeing the Triangle.   The biggest barrier he sees across the board? A tight market for move-in-ready real estate.   “We still do see about 75 percent of our business recruitment clients who come in the door saying, ‘we would like to come into an existing space if one exists,” he says. If a space isn’t available, “it really is hard to get past that first discussion.”""

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, RaleighHeelsfan said:

Ok...so why can't they just build spec? Why does there always need to be a tenant always in place? Lets slap a supertall down and watch everybody lineup...just sayin...(yes, I play sim city)

Many of these prospects new shell buildings either warehouse or industrial facilities and those are a lot less built on spec but they do some around the Charlotte area.  In terms of office users I would say most markets in the state the major metro areas have space immediately available for tenants or at least temporarily until they can build what they want.  

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, RaleighHeelsfan said:

Ok...so why can't they just build spec? Why does there always need to be a tenant always in place? Lets slap a supertall down and watch everybody lineup...just sayin...(yes, I play sim city)

Sadly, it is darn near impossible to get a bank to stroke you a check without pre-leasing. Spec office was all the rage in the 1980s and to a lesser extent in the mid 2000s and banks got burned by these loans. 

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry to be late. But the cycle is over...... the shovel in the ground gets built. Proposals are  done for. Market will crash in the next year. Good day kind UP folks ........ that said, the QC is positioned well. Skyline rises, stocks fall, and don’t borrow to pay for a waaaaaaaay overpriced property. A2 over and out.

Bonds, Bitcoin and Bullion 

Edited by A2.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, A2. said:

Sorry to be late. But the cycle is over...... the shovel in the ground gets built. Proposals are  done for. Market will crash in the next year. Good day kind UP folks ........ that said, the QC is positioned well. Skyline rises, stocks fall, and don’t borrow to pay for a waaaaaaaay overpriced property. A2 over and out.

*takes bong hit*

I kid, I kid. Think we still have  lot of runway left.

Edited by lancer22
typo
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, A2. said:

Yea dow went down 1000 points today. Markets are unfortunately catching on.  Charlotte got theirs built early, which is good with low vacancy still. 

33 minutes ago, mpretori said:

Yea dow went down 1000 points today. Markets are unfortunately catching on.  Charlotte got theirs built early, which is good with low vacancy still. 

Indeed. And remember just because a recession might be looming (and I believe will be here soon) doesn’t mean Charlotte will stop growing. It is just that it might not be an all out blitz of construction beyond 2020 like we’ve seen the last few years. I’m still watching net flows into the Sunbelt cities, and Charlotte is near the top. So net migration from the North and rust belt still bodes well longer term. That said, we all have to be impressed and thankful with what the QC has delivered over this last cycle. I’m truly shocked each time I come to town at how much has changed and where the city has come. We are on the cusp of being in the Big Leagues, and in another decade or so, will look back at amazement at what has been done. Much like ATL in the 80’s and early 90’s (but thought out and planned better in my opinion).

Ps—-this is not a rub on ATL, just saying that the early days of their development tended to be sprawl and less concentrated near the core. Charlotte has had the fortunes of seeing what not to do when developers come calling. Still not European or even as dense as we would like, but much better than what would have been had this happened thirty years ago. 

Edited by A2.
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, A2. said:

Indeed. And remember just because a recession might be looming (and I believe will be here soon) doesn’t mean Charlotte will stop growing. It is just that it might not be an all out blitz of construction beyond 2020 like we’ve seen the last few years. I’m still watching net flows into the Sunbelt cities, and Charlotte is near the top. So net migration from the North and rust belt still bodes well longer term. That said, we all have to be impressed and thankful with what the QC has delivered over this last cycle. I’m truly shocked each time I come to town at how much has changed and where the city has come. We are on the cusp of being in the Big Leagues, and in another decade or so, will look back at amazement at what has been done. Much like ATL in the 80’s and early 90’s (but thought out and planned better in my opinion).

I was in Atlanta recently and it was horrible. Charlotte was a much more top tier city compared to Atlanta. :tw_smile:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1