Economic Development - Expansions and Relocations

J-Rob

1 hour ago, joenc said:

Not only is Cook a Duke Alum, The #2 at Apple (Jeff Williams) is a NC State and Duke grad, worked at IBM before Apple, not certain but possibly in the RTP area.

I am definitely not a Tim Cook fan, He did his undergrad at Auburn,  so essentially he is associated with the devil as far as I’m concerned. Roll Tide! 

(I went to Bama, so it’s my job to hate all things Auburn. Including tech tycoons like Tim. Ha! That said if he wants to unload Apples piggy bank in N.C, I would not be mad. Rant over, carry on! :tw_kiss:)

A2

F0106B88-B728-4AD0-92ED-6E9842C9AA33.jpeg

Edited by A2.

36 minutes ago, A2. said:

I am definitely not a Tim Cook fan, He did his undergrad at Auburn,  so essentially he is associated with the devil as far as I’m concerned. Roll Tide! 

(I went to Bama, so it’s my job to hate all things Auburn. Including tech tycoons like Tim. Ha! That said if he wants to unload Apples piggy bank in N.C, I would not be mad. Rant over, carry on! :tw_kiss:)

A2

F0106B88-B728-4AD0-92ED-6E9842C9AA33.jpeg

rawl todd

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Matthew.Brendan said:

Yes because the leaders of the most profitable company in the world make their business decisions based on where they went to school. 

:rolleyes:

Most people would be shocked if they knew the real rationale behind a significant number of corporate relocation choices. For reference, several Charlotte office locations have been selected because of the CEO's office having nicer views, the C Suite being guaranteed membership into various country clubs etc.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, southslider said:

Likely matters more to Apple's CEO that NC prohibits her cities from having LGBT protections than any college allegiances.

I think Apple needs to concentrate on dealing with complaints from the 50% of the human population!

https://fortune.com/2016/09/15/apple-employees-sexist-environment/

• Thanks 1

I have no idea where to put this. I would be willing to bet on a decent amount of money that this won't change anything, but I still think its cool to make note of.

https://www.bizjournals.com/sacramento/news/2019/08/27/vsp-makes-another-vision-company-acquisition.html

Rancho Cordova-based VSP said Tuesday that it's acquired Community Eye Care, a vision benefits and management company headquartered in Charlotte. The acquisition was made by VSP Global's not-for-profit vision insurance subsidiary VSP Vision Care, according to a news release.

Community Eye Care currently has about 252,000 members in its network and is the largest vision insurance plan in North Carolina. Most of those members are located in the southeastern region of the country, which VSP is expanding into, according to the news release.

Community Eye Care has 39 employees and its network spans about 4,000 doctors, according to VSP spokeswoman Maryam Brown. Community Eye Care will continue to operate independently while the two organizations consider potential integration and expansion opportunities, Brown said.

https://www.bakeryandsnacks.com/Article/2019/08/28/Ramping-up-its-snacking-powerhouse-vision-Hershey-s-second-protein-bar-producer-acquisition-within-a-week?utm_source=copyright&utm_medium=OnSite&utm_campaign=copyright

Because this WONDERFUL website won't let me copy and paste, I'll just give a synopsis.

Hershey's has announced that it will acquire Charlotte based One Brands for $397 million as a part of its plan to ramp up its products in the health and wellness snack sector.

• Like 4

from a subscriber article from Business Journal

""A fiber bandwidth company has signed a deal in Ballantyne Corporate Park as part of a headquarters relocation to Charlotte.  Segra, the rebranded name of the merged Spirit Communications and Lumos Networks Corp., has signed on to lease about 30,000 square feet at the Woodward Building, at 11215 North Community House Road,""   they were previously based in Columbia

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2019/09/04/telecom-company-signs-lease-to-bring-hq-to.html

• Like 3

6 hours ago, lancer22 said:

All I'm saying is that we are far from done this year when it comes to large corporate relocation announcements

Not knowing anything, I'm not inclined to believe  there would be more than 2 large corporate relocations within the next 6 months.  Just based on. There's only so many large HQs and only so many who would go to CLT. In any event, I hope they're banks. I like CLT being bank town.

Edited by AirNostrumMAD
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

One of them had a closed door incentives meeting yesterday

The County Commissioners made about 5 references last night about having to go into another closed session after their meeting concluded (around 10:15pm)