Economic Development - Expansions and Relocations

J-Rob

2 hours ago, nuthinberger said:

How long after a closed door session should we expect an announcement (days, weeks, months)?

Could be any of the above.  sometimes even after it is voted on the new company will line up leases and or still negotiating with the state on incentives.   

the biggest announcement in the last few years Allstate and their 2250 jobs was top secret until it was announced.   Now they lease 1/2 of Railyard and additional space up in the University area.  

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Trickbot said:

/s When Goldman Sachs, Wells Fargo,  and Chase announce they're moving here within the next few months y'all are gonna lose your minds. This will all be due to companies leaving coastal cities as to not worry about sea level rise

Charlotte is the new Manhattan you heard it here first

• Sad 1

This article is potentially good news and/or bad news for Charlotte ( as BankTown, USA) depending on the way you look at it, but I look at this as good news because of the "companies are being implored to do things now..." comment.   Please note: This IS NOT a political post.  I am posting about the potential local economic ramifications from the coming presidential election. 

Specifically, I am curious if the possibility of a far left democratic president might push for banking mergers and relocations before Q2 2020.   A few have alluded to a coming announcement in mid-October, and I can't wait to see what it is because I think the political uncertainty might drive Charlotte expansion in the short-term.   Might Regions merge with a similar size firm and locate their HQ in CLT?  Might Ally announce an HQ relocation and expansion to grab incentive dollars before the regulatory environment sways?  Just some possibilities.  I am sure there are other possibilities, and I can't wait to find out.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/09/10/jim-cramer-wall-street-saying-elizabeth-warren-must-be-stopped.html

CNBC2.png.14dbdeeb1f65059b6f2dd8b5f0d166a5.png

Edited by J-Rob
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

NC is ranked as the 5th best state to do business in the USA bested only by southern rivals (Georgia is #1)  but NC as noted in the article in perpetually on the top of the list in the top 5 or so. 

https://www.areadevelopment.com/Top-States-for-Doing-Business/Q3-2019/overall-results-georgia-ranked-top-state-by-site-selection-c.shtml

and remember the 4th Quarter is coming usually a good time for NC and Charlotte region.  

Georiga's ports (Savannah and Brunswick) and ATL airport really are big drivers to that state for sure. 

NC has been in the top  10 for 10 years!

https://www.areadevelopment.com/Top-States-for-Doing-Business/Q3-2019/commentary-les-cranmer-art-wegfahrt-savills.shtml

I think that NC should scrap the personal income tax.  That's a big lure for Texas, for example, and would get NC and advantage over Atl for corporate relocations.

6 hours ago, King of the Queen City said:

B79FAA4B-20B1-4542-B41A-5494CD9BEA07.gif.bfdc6ea5b66a6adcd9f72f172fe920a9.gif

Made this GIF a while back. Was looking for the right opportunity to use it, haha.

JP Morgan is about to start a $4b 1,400' new HQ tower on Park Ave.  Personally, I think that's crazy.  They could build the same thing in the QC for $500-$750m.  They should move here now and maximize the shareholder's value.

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 3

21 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

JP Morgan is about to start a $4b 1,400' new HQ tower on Park Ave.  Personally, I think that's crazy.  They could build the same thing in the QC for $500-$750m.  They should move here now and maximize the shareholder's value.

On a side note, this is one of the coolest construction projects in the world. They literally have to disassemble the current building because they can't demolish it.

• Like 4

20 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Georiga's ports (Savannah and Brunswick) and ATL airport really are big drivers to that state for sure. 

I'm not so sure about the airport, I would say it's impact has been decreased by a bit, but no one in the ATL is complaining about it (unless you have AA status). The GPA is a MUCH bigger economic driver in the state though. 

http://gaports.com/about

As one of the state’s largest public employers, the GPA directly employs almost 1,100 trained logistics professionals. The GPA, however, is responsible for generating far more employment throughout the state. GPA operations, together with private sector, port-related operations, account for more than 369,000 jobs statewide, $84.1 billion dollars in revenue, and income exceeding $20.4 billion annually.

Don't y'all have a port in Wilmington. Savannah, Charleston, and Wilmington used to be pretty close with each other, what happened to Wilmington. Charleston and Savannah are both top 10 (I'm pretty sure), but I'm not sure where Wilmington is. Did they not just expand it?

• Like 1

Allen Tate Companies has expanded its Charlotte-Ballantyne office to two locations.

The main office, which is home to more than 120 Realtors and employees, has relocated to the Cullman Park Building, at 14120 Ballantyne Corporate Place, suite 520.

A second Ballantyne location – the Welcome Center – faces Johnston Road at the entrance to the Ballantyne Corporate Park, at 15640 Don Lochman Lane, suite 170. The Welcome Center, which is staffed seven days a week, offers easy access for clients, as well as agents who need to hold meetings or drop off paperwork.

https://thecharlotteweekly.com/news/2019/09/business-roundup-new-digs-for-allen-tate-office-seasonal-jobs-available/

I look forward to a busy and good rest of 2019 for NC, GA, and the entire southeast. Let the games begin...

image.png.a49f6932b9db6e306836f70f80af8fee.png

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Ric0_0 said:

Don't y'all have a port in Wilmington. Savannah, Charleston, and Wilmington used to be pretty close with each other, what happened to Wilmington. Charleston and Savannah are both top 10 (I'm pretty sure), but I'm not sure where Wilmington is. Did they not just expand it?

While the state deserves a large portion of the blame for what has happened to the port of Wilmington (like failing to build the new Southport terminal), its not all their fault. Only having a single railroad into Wilmington is a huge problem (shippers can't negotiate inland freight rates and the single line makes it vulnerable to shutdown). Unfortunately there is an even bigger problem, container ports benefit from increasing returns to scale -- as container ports get bigger they get more efficient -- Wilmington lost that battle 20+ years ago, they will never develop the critical mass necessary to become competitive with Charleston, Savannah or Norfolk.

Based on the data QCexpat posted (assuming its compatible with the USAC data) Wilmington's traffic was nearly halved since 2016.

It will never be a major port again.

Ports 2018.jpg

Edited by kermit
  • Like 2