Economic Development - Expansions and Relocations

J-Rob

2 hours ago, CarolinaDaydreamin said:

How do you figure? It moves over 110m+ people per year and is growing about 3% per year

Hmm... I'm not sure how to explain it. The airport is extremely important to ATL and it is probably one of the reasons why we have Delta and other companies. It also employs thousands upon thoursands of people. This impact is constantly expanding and growing.

However, the ATL airport used to be one of the "Big" ticket items for companies to relocate to Atlanta since there were flights to almost anywhere in the US. Now several cities across the southeast and the US (Raleigh, Nashville, Charlotte, Denver, etc.) have airports that have grown massively. Now there are multiple cities with good to great airconnections (Charlotte is one of them). Being able to fly to almost anywhere is still valued, but its value has decreased because of so many other cities also having great airports. I hope what I said made some sense. 

2 minutes ago, Ric0_0 said:

Hmm... I'm not sure how to explain it. The airport is extremely important to ATL and it is probably one of the reasons why we have Delta and other companies. It also employs thousands upon thoursands of people. This impact is constantly expanding and growing.

However, the ATL airport used to be one of the "Big" ticket items for companies to relocate to Atlanta since there were flights to almost anywhere in the US. Now several cities across the southeast and the US (Raleigh, Nashville, Charlotte, Denver, etc.) have airports that have grown massively. Now there are multiple cities with good to great airconnections (Charlotte is one of them). Being able to fly to almost anywhere is still valued, but its value has decreased because of so many other cities also having great airports. I hope what I said made some sense. 

They have added many flights to asia (adding a third flight to Korea, second to Japan, Shanghai) and africa. That's a pretty big difference than the other southern cities (even charlotte) and a corporate differentiator. 

18 hours ago, kermit said:

While the state deserves a large portion of the blame for what has happened to the port of Wilmington (like failing to build the new Southport terminal), its not all their fault. Only having a single railroad into Wilmington is a huge problem (shippers can't negotiate inland freight rates and the single line makes it vulnerable to shutdown). Unfortunately there is an even bigger problem, container ports benefit from increasing returns to scale -- as container ports get bigger they get more efficient -- Wilmington lost that battle 20+ years ago, they will never develop the critical mass necessary to become competitive with Charleston, Savannah or Norfolk.

Based on the data QCexpat posted (assuming its compatible with the USAC data) Wilmington's traffic was nearly halved since 2016.

It will never be a major port again.

I don't think the hope is for Wilmington to match Savannah, or Charleston and Hampton Roads. But there is a significant upswing happening at the port, that I think will at least get it to be more competitive. Ports were never NC's thing, mainly because there were so few that could be navigable to begin with. And the Southport terminal was a great idea that was poorly executed, hence why it died. It could've been a great asset, but the outreach wasn't there, and it was a pipe dream overall. I think Wilmington can definitely begin to compete with Jax to be a secondary southern port, especially with the infrastructure improvements being made currently. 

• Like 4

19 hours ago, QCxpat said:

Here's a list of the 25 largest container ports in North America.  Savannah is 3rd with 7.8% North American market share.  Charleston is 10th with 4.5% market share.  Wilmington is 25th with 0.7% market share 

Rank
North American port Location Coast 2018 North
American market
2017 2018 Year over year
% change
1 Los Angeles California West 9.3% 1,634,101 1,589,527 -2.7%
2 New York-New Jersey NY-NJ East 8.4% 1,372,454 1,426,013 3.9%
3 Savannah Georgia East 7.8% 1,305,426 1,338,100 2.5%
4 Long Beach California West 7.4% 1,241,853 1,257,127 1.2%
5 Vancouver, British Columbia Canada West 6.6% 1,101,645 1,119,590 1.6%
6 Houston Texas Gulf 6.1% 948,371 1,034,105 9.0%
7 Northwest Seaport Alliance* Washington West 5.3% 910,717 901,362 -1.0%
8 Virginia ports Virginia East 5.2% 959,209 883,579 -7.9%
9 Manzanillo Mexico West 4.8% 773,876 822,916 6.3%
10 Montreal, Quebec Canada East 4.6% 793,738 794,995 0.2%
11 Charleston South Carolina East 4.5% 781,505 771,387 -1.3%
12 Oakland California West 4.4% 797,099 748,211 -6.1%
13 Jacksonville Florida East 3.1% 500,113 528,178 5.6%
14 Port Everglades Florida East 2.6% 434,612 443,569 2.1%
15 Veracruz Mexico Gulf 2.1% 344,732 358,950 4.1%
16 Miami Florida East 2.0% 350,347 346,531 -1.1%
17 Altamira Mexico Gulf 2.0% 340,489 344,514 1.2%
18 New Orleans Louisiana Gulf 1.6% 297,499 276,881 -6.9%
19 Halifax, Nova Scotia** Canada East 1.6% 279,640 266,750 -4.6%
20 Lazaro Cardenas Mexico West 1.5% 209,541 238,935 14.0%
21 Baltimore Maryland East 1.3% 234,912 216,383 -7.9%
22 Prince Rupert, British Columbia Canada West 1.3% 165,943 207,111 24.8%
23 Palm Beach Florida East 0.8% 135,295 136,619 1.0%
24 Mobile Alabama Gulf 0.7% 133,166 125,705 -5.6%
25 Wilmington, NC North Carolina East 0.7% 103,531 113,550 9.7%

Link:  https://www.joc.com/port-news/north-america-port-rankings-mexican-ports-grow-fastest_20190506.html

I was in Prince Rupert this summer and it is an interesting place. It is the westernmost full service port in the Americas. Full service=deep water, ice free, all cargo options, and road and rail connection to the rest of the continent. The location makes it hundreds of miles closer to China and Korea than points further south. One truly needs to consult a globe to see this relationship. A new gas pipeline just connected there for export of Canadian products and a L-o-o-o-o-ng time discussion of an oil pipeline may conclude with enough parties being lubricated (so to speak). A young man looking to make his bones might consider Prince Rupert.

[Prince Rupert  of The Rhine was the first governor of the Hudson's Bay Company]

• Like 2

More on Sherwin Williams that is interesting.  They bought Valspar based in Minneapolis in 2017 and moved much of the headquarters staff to Cleveland no wonder they are busting at their seams there.  Lowes is a huge Valspar retailer as well. 

https://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/news/2018/11/12/sherwin-williams-minneapolis-like-a-second.html

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

More on Sherwin Williams that is interesting.  They bought Valspar based in Minneapolis in 2017 and moved much of the headquarters staff to Cleveland no wonder they are busting at their seams there.  Valspar a huge Lowes customer as well. 

https://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/news/2018/11/12/sherwin-williams-minneapolis-like-a-second.html

That would be awesome.  Hopefully, they build a new tower in Uptown or South End.

• Like 3

the more I think about Sherwin Williams the more a move here makes sense.  Having just swallowed up Valspar there are a bunch of people they are trying to consolidate.  Lets face it Cleveland is harder to attract people to than a Charlotte with its lake effect snows and stagnant population growth.  Plus CLT airport is much larger and has more European flights.  and you may think this is funny or has nothing to do with anything but I think it could, Ohio people love NC and SC and our beaches.   This will be interesting to watch and expect tight lips from Charlotte Business Alliance, NCEDP, the NC Commerce Dept. etc.  But the CEO is signaling to all they are moving somewhere.  

Look at the CEO's own video posted on this Cleveland news site.

https://www.cleveland19.com/2019/09/12/sherwin-williams-considering-plan-move-global-headquarters-cleveland/

Obviously they want a more modern building so do they go to the Cleveland suburbs or move out of town?  As this would be a huge relocation it qualifies for big incentives from NC like they way they tweaked the incentives for Honeywell (and potentially an Apple big office)   Valspar is based in Minneapolis which that area while growing much faster than Cleveland is not growing as fast as Charlotte and still weather concerns.   Even our airport is busier than MSP.  

Reminds me of how Sealed Air had bought these companies and had their corporate staff scattered in several states before relocating to Charlotte.  

Mysterious company needing up to 1 M sq ft that one fits the bill.   Now the waiting game.   This would be YUGE for Charlotte.  Plus as I mentioned both SW and Valspar paints are sold in Lowes, probably their biggest single retail customer.  Plus there are lots of people in this area that know how to run a retail chain like the Sherwin Williams store being the HQ of 2 grocery stores, a department store Belks and formerly home of Family Dollar.  

To sweeten this deal I will deliver 50 yes 50 dozen Krispy Kreme doughnuts around town at the various SW retail outlets if this comes this way! 

• Like 4

Economic diversification will help the city when the next recession hits.    More precisely, it should help the city rebound more easily following the next recession.

Also, if they land Uptown they would take sizable sq footage, which will lead to more towers directly or indirectly.  I would love for a company like this to build multiple mid rise (or small high rise) building in First Ward or Brooklyn Village.  This type of relocation could really help increase Uptown's density.

I would be disappointed if they ended up in a suburban office park.  I am concerned that is what will happen.

• Like 3

The R&D portion of the new headquarters campus would be the most likely reason they go somewhat suburban. The needs of an R&D campus that needs to handle chemical and resin deliveries, solvents, freight elevators, ventilation, et. would require a custom built building in Uptown. They could separate the R&D campus from the administrative functions of the company, but there are certainly synergies from having R&D leadership / teams co-located with the business units. 

I could see them in an area like near Camp North End where they could build a 4-5 story R&D building next to a 12 story tower for admin. 

• Like 4

From Monday's 09/16/2019 The Charlotte Business Ledger - Convention Center starts Construction

"The Charlotte Convention Center has started its $110M renovation and expansion, according to the Charlotte Regional Visitors Authority.   The initial construction phase might not be visible from the outside, as it “requires reinforcement to Exhibit Halls A and B and to the roofline structure along Stonewall Street,” according to an email to the Ledger from CRVA spokeswoman Karen Brand.   “While it won’t be visible from the exterior of the building, this important interior structural work will be underway.”  She says the building will remain open and the CRVA will continue working to attract business during construction.  The CRVA said in 2017 that construction would add a pedestrian bridge to the Westin and add meeting rooms and “soft spaces where attendees can network between sessions.” It will add about 50,000 s.f. to the existing meeting level.   Work is expected to be finished in 2021."

https%3A%2F%2Fbucketeer-e05bbc84-baa3-437e-9518-adb32be77984.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fpublic%2Fimages%2F3a9fd013-94ed-42f1-9449-502bc89b99e5_5000x3650.jpeg  
The view from Stonewall Street: Work has started on the Convention Center’s $110M renovation and expansion. (Rendering courtesy of Charlotte Regional Visitors Authority.)
  • Like 3