Economic Development - Expansions and Relocations

J-Rob

On 9/14/2019 at 2:42 PM, kermit said:
On 9/14/2019 at 2:31 PM, CLT2014 said:

The R&D portion of the new headquarters campus would be the most likely reason they go somewhat suburban. The needs of an R&D campus that needs to handle chemical and resin deliveries, solvents, freight elevators, ventilation, et. would require a custom built building in Uptown. They could separate the R&D campus from the administrative functions of the company, but there are certainly synergies from having R&D leadership / teams co-located with the business units. 

I could see them in an area like near Camp North End where they could build a 4-5 story R&D building next to a 12 story tower for admin. 

Sounds like a job for Gold District / Charlotte Pipe area.

Plenty of land in the Levine Expanse in 1st Ward for something like this too, but it would be a game-changer in the areas you guys listed.

Edited by Desert Power
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, J-Rob said:

Moving to CLT largely because of partnership with Ally.  They really need to make CLT the official Ally HQ.

Biggest reason the HQ probably won't be moving anytime soon.... Ally's Auto and Auto Insurance business are all largely located in Detroit and drive 86% of the revenue of Ally Financial. Leadership is smart and not looking to alienate the employees that drive the vast majority of the firm's earnings.  Charlotte has been a nice hub to grab talent for the deposits bank to lower the cost of funding, but Ally is still largely an auto lender and those teams are in Detroit. 

Edited by CLT2014
  • Like 3

38 minutes ago, CLT2014 said:

Biggest reason the HQ probably won't be moving anytime soon.... Ally's Auto and Auto Insurance business are all largely located in Detroit and drive 86% of the revenue of Ally Financial. Leadership is smart and not looking to alienate the employees that drive the vast majority of the firm's earnings.  Charlotte has been a nice hub to grab talent for the deposits bank to lower the cost of funding, but Ally is still largely an auto lender and those teams are in Detroit. 

With the partnership with better.com, they are obviously trying to drive mortgage revenue, which based on the size of mortgages compared to car loans, could catch up pretty quickly. 

38 minutes ago, QClifer said:

There is no talk of Ally moving here from the top. Not happening

I know you mentioned this before too.  I totally believe you.  I still think it should happen whether it does or not.  Last time I checked they were posting jobs in CLT, not Detroit.

Edited by J-Rob
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, CharlotteWkndBuzz said:

I'm trying to get my bearings straight...The pedestrian bridge appears to be parallel with the light rail bridge, which makes me wonder does the Westin need this when there is going to be the Rail  Trail extension? 

Its all the same bridge, this bridge is for the Rail Trail Extension

1 hour ago, jordan704 said:

I have a friend that works in that building and claims they are not moving. As I stated before they said they didn't have room in the new building. Source isn't a low level position either. 

So you are saying Ally Bank is keeping a lot of if not all of their space in south Church St building.?  I do know they have people at WeWork in the First Citizens Bank and in Southpark and Ballantyne as well. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, jordan704 said:

I have a friend that works in that building and claims they are not moving. As I stated before they said they didn't have room in the new building. Source isn't a low level position either. 

For what it's worth they are currently trying to backfill the current Ally space with another tenant. Methinks your friend is wrong.

• Like 2