Economic Development - Expansions and Relocations

J-Rob

Couldn't they build a campus though? 4 or 5 buildings all less than 5 floors tall?  Regardless, the airport continues to be a fantastic economic development catalyst.  For the record, I would prefer corporate office be Uptown with R&D facilities elsewhere, perhaps by the airport.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, J-Rob said:

Couldn't they build a campus though? 4 or 5 buildings all less than 5 floors tall?  Regardless, the airport continues to be a fantastic economic development catalyst.  For the record, I would prefer corporate office be Uptown with R&D facilities elsewhere, perhaps by the airport.

since we are talking about that land right on Wilkinson I guess it is could be as tall Amazon warehouse which is basically like a 3 story building.  IF Sherwin Williams is interested in Charlotte I think they would lean uptown center city but with a suburban R&D as is the setup in Cleveland.  

anyway I am glad this vacant land is being developed the airport has bought it up for the last 30-40 years and only now is it getting a new life.  Whatever Project Nighthawk is I hope it lands here by the CLT airport.  

• Like 3

I wonder where exactly this will be in relation to the Amazon building.  It seems like the area to the south of the facility between Wilkinson and the RR tracks could be used to build a large ramp for aircraft.  Maybe (hopefully) Amazon is looking at building an air cargo hub here.  They did just add an additional flight at Charlotte.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, cltbwimob said:

I wonder where exactly this will be in relation to the Amazon building.  It seems like the area to the south of the facility between Wilkinson and the RR tracks could be used to build a large ramp for aircraft.  Maybe (hopefully) Amazon is looking at building an air cargo hub here.  They did just add an additional flight at Charlotte.

There is a whole area of airport owned land all north of Wilkinson south of I-85 and east of I-485 and west of Little Rock Rd.   Used to be a neighborhood, mobile home park, some businesses etc. 

• Like 1

In the rumor mill news about Sherwin Williams Charlotte gets a mention from the Dallas Morning News along with the Big D and the ATL and of course metro Cleveland can not be counted out.  and don't worry there are other companies looking.  

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/real-estate/2019/09/17/sherwin-williams-is-hunting-a-new-headquarters-so-of-course-dallas-gets-a-mention/

okay can someone put a Paint bucket on top of this tower in lieu of the Krispy Kreme logo? this building on 3rd St is still looking for an anchor tenant. 

KKtower.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

7 hours ago, rancenc said:

Dallas has some advantages over Charlotte (e.g., much better  museums, two nice zoos, more upscale shopping, milder winters, etc.).

However,  Charlotte is a much better place to live in my opinion.   Traffic is  better in Charlotte, and it’s closer to nice beaches and mountains.    Charlotte also is much greener than Dallas, which, in many respects, is a dust bowl.   Lastly,  while Texas has no state income taxes, the local property taxes are VERY high.

I think that Charlotte trumps Dallas or Atlanta every time.  I quite like Atlanta, but I wouldn’t want to drive from Roswell or Alpharetta to the Perimeter each day, let alone to downtown.  That commute would make Waxhaw to Uptown via Providence Road seem like a walk in the park.

Hopefully, Sherwin Williams will agree and will build a new HQ in Uptown, thereby adding another jewel to the Queen’s crown.

Charlotte’s relative proximity to Cleveland versus Dallas or Atlanta is also a big selling point, since S-W employees will want to drive back to Ohio sometimes to see family that remain in the Buckeye State.   Charlotte is 200 miles closer than Atlanta, and road trips from Dallas aren’t viable.

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

Your last point is actually very valid as Honeywell execs were quoting as saying they did not want to move too far west or even further south so their employees who still have ties to NJ could go back easily.  Dittos for a Cleveland based company as they are at the beginning of I-77 and believe me they love the beaches of both Carolinas.  Location and distance vis a vi the existing offices is important for employee retention in a major corporate move.  Ohio is still in the cat bird seat with this but Cleveland's airport is very weak compared to ours in terms of service.   That is why that article mentioned 3 hub cities Dallas Ft Worth, ATL and CLT. 

Cleveland is actually a very nice city.  It has really great museums and cultural offerings, gorgeous old buildings, and a stunning lake front location.  In many respects, it's like a mini-Chicago (without the  great new towers).

Also, unlike NY or NJ, it's very affordable.  However, people seem to be fleeing Ohio, and the winters there are beyond miserable.  Let's keep our fingers crossed for the QC.

35 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

1. I'd put the odds of Sherwin Williams leaving Cleveland very low.

2. Even if they did, I'd say they'd be a suburban located  company

That would stink, but I assume that Cleveland will give SW an insane incentives package.

Edited by SydneyCarton

17 hours ago, cltbwimob said:

That would be so sweet if Amazon built a cargo hub there, but there would have to be substantial taxiway configuration if they are trying to relocate away from current cargo terminals.

7 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

I'm sure that's all this is, they have 1.5 centuries of history in Cleveland.

They also have a sizable presence in Minneapolis where they recently bought Valspar and made their former HQ the SW R&D center. Don't see that moving if the HQ is in play.

1 minute ago, CLT> said:

They also have a sizable presence in Minneapolis where they recently bought Valspar and made their former HQ the SW R&D center. Don't see that moving if the HQ is in play.

that to me is one of the reasons they need a new HQ site whether in Ohio or elsewhere maybe in airline hub city like Charlotte that is easy to attract people to live. Valspar is huge too so to meld the cultures a new neutral site might be needed. 

• Like 3