Jump to content

Economic Development - Expansions and Relocations


Recommended Posts

https://www.bisnow.com/atlanta/news/office/paint-giant-sherwin-williams-eyeing-atlanta-for-hq-relocation-101291

An ATL POV looking at the potential relocation of Sherwin Williams.

“I think the early favorites here, based on everything I heard, is Atlanta, Dallas and Charlotte,” The Boyd Co. principal John Boyd said. Boyd is a noted site selection consultant for private companies, although he is not working directly with Sherwin Williams in its hunt. "The common denominator to those three markets is excellent air service," Boyd said. "And also the presence of a top university that is highly regarded in chemical sciences." Officials with Sherwin Williams announced in September that the company was on the hunt for a potential new headquarters and R&D facility, with a move occurring in 2023 at the earliest. The search includes multiple potential sites in Cleveland, Northeast Ohio and several other unidentified states. Currently, the company's headquarters is housed in a 1930s era office building in Downtown Cleveland called Landmark Office Towers at 101 West Prospect Ave. It occupies other downtown buildings for other functions. The company already has its Southeast division office in Atlanta, with 48K SF at 2800 Century Parkway in Atlanta, according to CoStar.
 

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Now we can be the big BANANA again! Dole Foods moving corporate HQ from California to uptown!  ""Dole Food Co. is growing its business in the Charlotte region.  The agricultural company, the worl

I predicted this about wherever Amazon HQ2 split in 3 along with Nashville landed.  From a subscriber article in the Business Journal today Conway referenced the Amazon HQ2 search, which occ

Posted Images

19 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

word in the Cleveland media is that Ohio and the city are ponying up big bucks to have them to stay in town and specific sites in Cleveland were discussed.  

One wonders if that wasn’t the plan all along. Tell em’ your leaving, see what the deal is in the proposed cities your looking at and then see if you can’t get your home city to beat the deal. Win win for SW. 

Seems like I remember not to long ago Ray W. , with the Hornets, doing this to CLT, with the whole arena debacle. 

To be fair, we probably have also done the same when looking at a new firm. Put yourself out there, get a hit, and then use the offer as leverage at the firm you wanted to stay at all along, but just wanted some more bucks. 

A2 

Edited by A2.
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, A2. said:

One wonders if that wasn’t the plan all along. Tell em your leaving, see what hits in the proposed cities your looking at and see if you can’t get your home city to beat the deal. Win win for SW. 

Seems like I remember not to long ago Ray W. , with the Hornets doing this to CLT just a while back. 

some companies do this and it might have indeed been the plan as they publicly announced they were looking at their options.  Most companies again don't do that.

https://www.clevescene.com/scene-and-heard/archives/2019/10/15/report-sherwin-williams-will-build-massive-new-headquarters-in-downtown-cleveland-four-sites-under-consideration

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, TheOneRJ said:

What Charlotte lacks in higher education is what the Triangle lacks in air service. 

I’d rather have them go to Charlotte over the Triangle as the QC is the state’s main city, and I’d like to see it grow further.  However, with respect to your point, Charlotte Douglas is hardly JFK or Heathrow or for that matter Hartsfield or DFW.

RDU basically serves the same purposes. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, DownEast said:

Huh? CLT has nonstop service to like 10 cities in NC and SC alone. RDU flies to, guess where, Charlotte, only. the only purpose they share is putting people on airplanes. CLT has only 100 fewer departures than DFW. maybe 150...Don't get me wrong. RDU punches well above it's weight but its no CLT.

When you look at the board in JFK or Heathrow, you see every foreign carrier in the world at destinations all over the world.   Between JFK and Newark, there are around 30 flights per day to London.

Douglas is more like RDU than it is Iike a global gateway.

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, kickazzz2000 said:

I didn’t see London or New York listed as potential cities for Sherwin Williams relocation.  There’s a reason Charlotte, Atlanta,  and Dallas come up so frequently for large domestic company relocations.  What Mr. Boyd is saying is not groundbreaking and has been said before by others.

Now that I’ve moved the goalposts back to their original spot, CLT is a whole heck of a lot closer to DFW and ATL in terms of needed destinations served NONSTOP, and on a more business friendly (I.e. frequent) timeline than RDU is.  Sorry. 
 

 

Correct, Mr. kickazzz

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, kickazzz2000 said:

I didn’t see London or New York listed as potential cities for Sherwin Williams relocation.  There’s a reason Charlotte, Atlanta,  and Dallas come up so frequently for large domestic company relocations.  What Mr. Boyd is saying is not groundbreaking and has been said before by others.

Now that I’ve moved the goalposts back to their original spot, CLT is a whole heck of a lot closer to DFW and ATL in terms of needed destinations served NONSTOP, and on a more business friendly (I.e. frequent) timeline than RDU is.  Sorry. 
 

 

Obviously, corporations that pay people moderate salaries don’t relocate to hyper-expensive global cities.  They go to cities like Charlotte, Atlanta, Dallas, Raleigh, and Nashville where a $125,000 salary goes relatively far.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I could see United Rentals moving a lot more people to Charlotte from Connecticut.   Staff attorneys, etc. making $200k per year would be way better off in the QC than in Fairfield County.  Stamford has mediocre schools, and, therefore, anyone who is upper middle class who lives there sends their kids to private school, which is expensive.    Other people live in the surrounding towns, which have great schools, but are very expensive (i.e., you're not living in Greenwich or New Canaan on $200k per year).

That being said, I can't see the whole company moving here because if you're CEO-level rich, Fairfield County (e.g., Greenwich, New Canaan, Darien, Westport, etc.) is much nicer than anywhere in Charlotte.  In any event, this is good news, and, hopefully, UR will transfer more jobs to the QC.

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting I see this in the Atlanta Business Chronicle just this morning

""Microsoft Corp. is looking at Atlanta for a major expansion, the third West Coast technology company reportedly scouting areas of the city for significant growth. The Redmond, Wash. software giant has made inquiries for more than 300,000 square feet, enough room for well over 1,000 jobs, and enough space to anchor any of the multiple towers rising in Midtown, where its search has initially focused, according to multiple real estate sources.  While early in its process, one option already linked to its interest is Atlantic Yards, two new buildings that global real estate company Hines and partner Invesco Real Estate are developing in Midtown’s Atlantic Station.""

Hmm could be related and could Microsoft be interested in anchoring a new building in southend maybe like the Portman or 2nd tower Spectrum's project or the Beacon's LoSo building.  

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

Interesting I see this in the Atlanta Business Chronicle just this morning

""Microsoft Corp. is looking at Atlanta for a major expansion, the third West Coast technology company reportedly scouting areas of the city for significant growth. The Redmond, Wash. software giant has made inquiries for more than 300,000 square feet, enough room for well over 1,000 jobs, and enough space to anchor any of the multiple towers rising in Midtown, where its search has initially focused, according to multiple real estate sources.  While early in its process, one option already linked to its interest is Atlantic Yards, two new buildings that global real estate company Hines and partner Invesco Real Estate are developing in Midtown’s Atlantic Station.""

Hmm could be related and could Microsoft be interested in anchoring a new building in southend maybe like the Portman or 2nd tower Spectrum's project or the Beacon's LoSo building.  

If Microsoft is adding 1000 people I would strongly doubt they would chase expensive space instead of expanding their existing campus in Charlotte

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.