Economic Development - Expansions and Relocations

J-Rob

So not sure what this means for Sherwin Williams expansion plans, but they've added some job postings for the IT department on their website and the positions are based in Raleigh. The job description says,

"Thrive in an exciting new space filled with natural light in the heart of Midtown Raleigh. Located in an urban-style campus, the park features a fitness center, an on-site eatery, a central courtyard, green spaces, and trails."

Could just be a regional IT office, but they currently don't have a corporate office in Raleigh, hence "new space". It is the only IT postings outside of Cleveland or Minneapolis for SW.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CLT2014 said:

So not sure what this means for Sherwin Williams expansion plans, but they've added some job postings for the IT department on their website and the positions are based in Raleigh. The job description says,

"Thrive in an exciting new space filled with natural light in the heart of Midtown Raleigh. Located in an urban-style campus, the park features a fitness center, an on-site eatery, a central courtyard, green spaces, and trails."

Could just be a regional IT office, but they currently don't have a corporate office in Raleigh, hence "new space". It is the only IT postings outside of Cleveland or Minneapolis for SW.

Whoa that is interesting news.  sounds like North Hills at Midtown but most of that space is filled however Kane has room for one more office tower.  And another HUGE project was announced nearby on St Albans Lane which could be that.    Very interesting indeed.  

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

Whoa that is interesting news.  sounds like North Hills at Midtown but most of that space is filled however Kane has room for one more office tower.  And another HUGE project was announced nearby on St Albans Lane which could be that.    Very interesting indeed.  

I believe this is just a regional office.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, lancer22 said:

I believe this is just a regional office.

sounds like North Hills at Midtown Kane's project.  some times companies test the waters in locations with job openings to see the local market.     I still wonder if  Sherwin Williams was the 1 Million sq ft tenant Spectrum Properties CEO spoke of.  

• Like 2

19 hours ago, CLT704 said:

So any announcements this year? December has been very quiet and time is running out for any announcement to be made. Vanguard? Wells? 

Definitely has been more quiet this year over previous years but that’s becuase we had more big wins earlier on and also I believe that others will be announced but probably after the first of the year.  For example - Several big cities are hoping to get Sherwin Williams but nothing announced as of yet.

For Charlotte - The MLS announcement tomorrow is big.  Other than that I wouldnt hold my breath for anything else between now and New Year’s Day.

• Like 3

On 8/22/2019 at 3:27 PM, lancer22 said:

Bout 1.5 months

This was in response to a prior post deleted by @lancer22  because he was told to take it down.  (Someone had asked that same day when we should expect to hear whatever announcement that was deleted).  Did this happen?  Or is this still coming?  Or maybe now not coming?  I followed up about a month or so ago and never got a response.  Just curious.  This one stuck in my head. 

Edited by turbocraig
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, RiverwoodCLT said:

Cleveland airport comes in at 44 busiest airport in USA and Charlotte at 12 in 2018.

that is one of the major reasons that Sherwin Williams is looking to leave and despite lots of money Ohio may throw at it and long history I do think there is a good chance they will move and that puts Charlotte high on the list.

In other econ development news Charlotte Regional Business Alliance will have a big reception in Paris when the Hornets play there and Honeywell and BofA taking the lead. 

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2019/12/23/charlotte-corporate-giants-join-hornets-business.html

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KJHburg said:

that is one of the major reasons that Sherwin Williams is looking to leave and despite lots of money Ohio may throw at it and long history I do think there is a good chance they will move and that puts Charlotte high on the list.

In other econ development news Charlotte Regional Business Alliance will have a big reception in Paris when the Hornets play there and Honeywell and BofA taking the lead. 

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2019/12/23/charlotte-corporate-giants-join-hornets-business.html

Charlotte and Raleigh are the top spots IMO, because they're closer to Cleveland than Atl is and offer a better quality of life.   If the jobs have a heavy science component, I could see them coming to the Triangle.  If it's largely general business (marketing, HR, law, accounting, etc.), I can see them going to Charlotte.  It will be a win for NC in either case, and I hope that they build a new downtown tower in either city.  A new tower Uptown or in South End would be ideal.

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 2

47 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Charlotte and Raleigh are the top spots IMO, because they're closer to Cleveland than Atl is and offer a better quality of life.   If the jobs have a heavy science component, I could see them coming to the Triangle.  If it's largely general business (marketing, HR, law, accounting, etc.), I can see them going to Charlotte.  It will be a win for NC in either case, and I hope that they build a new downtown tower in either city.  A new tower Uptown or in South End would be ideal.

I would say in the Sherwin Williams HQ race IF they move out of NE Ohio is between Charlotte,  Dallas, Atlanta as Raleigh Durham while it has many many strengths does not have flights out of RDU as the others do. I do agree Charlotte could be the pick due to location closer to Cleveland and y'all make think I am crazy the Ohio experiences with the Carolinas and our beaches.  From OBX to Hilton Head Ohioan flood the zone in the summer! (and I am sure this includes many top people with SW too)   It would make Charlotte as easier sell.  

Valspar a SW subsidiary has research ops already in NC not their only facility but they are here including a plant in Charlotte in the University Research Park.

North Carolina

Valspar
Research Lab
2137 Brevard Road
High Point, North Carolina 27261-1703
Phone: +1 336-889-2157

Valspar
Manufacturing
5000 Womack Road
Sanford, North Carolina 27330
Phone: +1 919-777-2004

Valspar Coatings