Economic Development - Expansions and Relocations

J-Rob

1 hour ago, QCxpat said:

Today's Charlotte Ledger - News In Brief - New corporate HQ 

"Glatfelter, a publicly traded supplier of engineered materials with $928M in annual revenue, is moving its headquarters to Charlotte from York, Pa., in mid-2020, the company said last week:  “Charlotte provides enhanced access to a larger pool of critical resources and talent for future growth, and the Carolinas are a leading hub for the broader nonwovens industry. Additionally, being near a premier airport like Charlotte Douglas International allows for easier and more efficient business travel.” It is unclear where Glatfelter is moving and how many headquarters employees it has. The company had about 2,600 workers worldwide in December 2018, according to securities filings. It has plants in Arkansas, Canada, the United Kingdom, Germany, France and the Philippines."

Link: https://charlotteledger.substack.com/

Hopefully, they'll need enough space to start LU4.

• Like 1

Just now, SydneyCarton said:

Hopefully, they'll need enough space to start LU4.

Me too but I’m not so sure.  Even though I support every HQ that would choose to relocate to the QC I researched their current HQ in York, PA and it’s about 70,000sf in a low rise campus style site.  I attached picture from google earth.  Not sure if they’d be enough to anchor a new Tower at LU.  I’d be surprised though if they don’t pick a Midtown, Uptown or Southend location though since those areas are on the rise and exciting.

6B088540-35CD-4FEE-B347-AB79DB9EB798.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KJHburg said:

Chapel Hill wins it.   Charlotte Ledger is reporting they will be moving to the Capitol Towers in southpark area.   with 50-60 corporate jobs! 

UPDATE: Glatfelter will move its corporate HQ into the Capitol Towers building in SouthPark beginning this summer, company spokeswoman tell me. Eventually 50-60 positions, starting with senior executive team + key managers.

That was a good guess by me!

• Like 4

Charlotte was one of three cities (along with Brooklyn and Austin) considered for the US HQ for Curve, a British IT start-up.  While it didn’t win, it’s pretty impressive that it’s on the radar for this type of IT presence.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2020/01/14/how-charlotte-earned-its-spot-as-finalist-for-u-k.amp.html

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, atlrvr said:

Do they have any idea where permanent offices will be?

no they took over space that Allstate had in Wework at Regions and it was a full floor so they do have room to grow there but no word on future office.  Someone did mention how expensive their space was in NYC as he said they are in the 1 WTC aka Freedom Tower.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, KJHburg said:

no they took over space that Allstate had in Wework at Regions and it was a full floor so they do have room to grow there but no word on future office.  Someone did mention how expensive their space was in NYC as he said they are in the 1 WTC aka Freedom Tower.  

The WTC is pretty reasonably priced for new space in NY.  It leases today for $80-100/sf, which is a bargain compared to new space in Midtown.  No one wants a further 15 minute subway ride after riding the train for an hour into Grand Central or Penn.

Moody’s top execs won’t leave NY, but hopefully, a lot more lower level lawyers, accountants, marketing, HR, etc will come to Charlotte.

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 3

I can say from my sources that the major credit rating companies (Fitch, Moody's, and S&P) are consolidating their offices. I have one friend at Fitch who is moving from the Financial District up to the Hearst Tower in Hells Kitchen to be closer to their owner, and I work in the S&P Building downtown, and they have been consolidating their offices here too. So, it's either consolidate in NYC, or find cheaper space outside of the city. 

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
50 minutes ago, J-Rob said:

Does anyone else come to UP nearly daily expecting to finally see an expansion or relocation announced?  I know we have been spoiled.  I totally get Honeywell and Truist in the same year was unprecedented, to a certain extent, for a Charlotte sized market.  But... We had so many rumors flying around back around Oct/Nov I thought for sure something BIG was in pipeline.

Getting Honeywell and Truist in the same year is unprecedented for ANY market.

• Like 4

56 minutes ago, J-Rob said:

Does anyone else come to UP nearly daily expecting to finally see an expansion or relocation announced?  I know we have been spoiled.  I totally get Honeywell and Truist in the same year was unprecedented, to a certain extent, for a Charlotte sized market.  But... We had so many rumors flying around back around Oct/Nov I thought for sure something BIG was in pipeline.

Patience grasshopper 

21 hours ago, J-Rob said:

That’s because certain users here claim to be in the know with future relocations but can only provide “soon” otherwise they’ll “get in trouble” when in reality all they have is early access to building permits for tenants they pull out of a very generalized hat  :rolleyes:

Edited by TheOneRJ

10 minutes ago, TheOneRJ said:

That’s because certain users here claim to be in the know with future relocations but can only provide “soon” otherwise they’ll “get in trouble” when in reality all they have is early access to building permits for tenants they pull out of a very generalized hat  :rolleyes:

Those users have been right a lot of times though. Even citing the tenants over the past many years.  I thought the Bank of America rumors were bull for legacy union. But it was true.

if you want a website where it’s posters who check the local Business Journal daily and copy and paste local articles, there’s other sites. This one is good for in depth information and much earlier than otherwise reported in the media. I read local media daily so I don’t really need a website that just copy’s and paste the CBJ

Edited by AirNostrumMAD
  • Like 4

28 minutes ago, TheOneRJ said:

I think that may be true for new construction/development, but normally rumors or "leaked" information about expansions and relocation comes from employees. 

When companies start to offer certain teams relocation packages or hiring doubles for particular city, workers at the company and in the industry in general start to take notice and talk. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TheOneRJ said:

Actually it almost never comes from building permits, people just aren't that blatant anymore. Bank of America to legacy came from brokers talking too loudly. Almost all of it comes from that, people not keeping secrets.

And also tips. Theres so many things that could be posted on here, that haven't. I get so many tips. 

Edited by Guest