Economic Development - Expansions and Relocations

J-Rob

12 hours ago, J-Rob said:

What are the chances you create a burner account to bring the insider news back? May I suggest @ricky_davis_fan_22 or @RDF2?

I have 100% been considering it.

Also, there are a couple of big things coming. There's enough corroborating chatter out there to confirm it. I don't know why they are taking their sweet ass time doing anything, but maybe with economic, and corona virus related fears, it might be a little bit longer. The media cycle seems laser focused on that. 

Edited by Guest

54 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Also, there are a couple of big things coming. There's enough corroborating chatter out there to confirm it. I don't know why they are taking their sweet ass time doing anything, but maybe with economic, and corona virus related fears, it might be a little bit longer. The media cycle seems laser focused on that. 

A) By big things, are we talking WSJ and CNBC-covered events? 

B) International spotlight on Charlotte?

C) Skyline-changing events?

4) Nothing transformational, but rather continued job growth and healthy local economy stories? 

9 minutes ago, RANYC said:

A) By big things, are we talking WSJ and CNBC-covered events? 

B) International spotlight on Charlotte?

C) Skyline-changing events?

4) Nothing transformational, but rather continued job growth and healthy local economy stories? 

I would say C, and 4. 

4 minutes ago, Niner National said:

So something explosive then.  

Depends on your perspective. I think it'll be transformative, some will complain that somehow its not transformative enough I'm sure.

North Carolina-based SD Holdings (Charlotte Biz Journals said they were headquartered in Charlotte), which operates 73 Sonic Drive-Ins in North Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia and Alabama, has filed for Chapter 11 protection, Restaurant Business reports. The franchisee, which also runs 14 MOD Pizza locations and three Fuzzy Taco Shop restaurants, has accumulated $22.3 million in secured debt. 

Sonic Corp, which is owned by Inspire Brands, plans to acquire the 73 restaurants from SD Holdings. 

https://www.restaurantdive.com/news/sonic-to-buy-73-units-from-bankrupt-franchisee/572055/

This news is around 3 weeks old...but I just saw it now :tw_sweat_smile:

Edited by Ric0_0

Apparently Elon Musk is now shopping around (Amazon HQ2 style) for new production sites for the Tesla pickup and the Model Y.

https://www.motortrend.com/news/tesla-cybertruck-factory-search-model-y-plant/

There is no indication that his is looking around here, but I am sure the local ED folks will jump on the bandwagon. I can't help but think that since Elon is making the call that legal weed would be a significant advantage.

7 minutes ago, kermit said:

There is no indication that his is looking around here

I mean it would be awesome to get it, but Musk himself stated that they are looking Central USA, we are most definitely not Central in any way I think of.

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1237531699681980416

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Scribe said:

I mean it would be awesome to get it, but Musk himself stated that they are looking Central USA, we are most definitely not Central in any way I think of.

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1237531699681980416

"Scouting locations for Cybertruck Gigafactory. Will be central USA" and that Tesla is planning "Model Y production for east coast too."

your probably correct, but its very vague journalism.

Edited by kermit

2 hours ago, kermit said:

its very vague journalism.

Well, it is possible that there is some truth to this rumor, I do not normally associate Nashville with Central USA but according to this article (with a source) Nashville is on the list https://www.axios.com/tesla-weighs-nashville-for-new-vehicle-factory-7fcdb7be-5ccb-4008-9793-3e98b767d58d.html

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

If the premise of a surge of corporate relocations involves escaping density and avoiding things like shared transportation infrastructure, what does that mean for development patterns in Charlotte and in other places over the next 20 years?  Sprawl?  Road widening?  

Obviously, NYC represents an extreme level of densification.  Fast-growing and fast-evolving places like Charlotte, however, have planning initiatives under-way to encourage density, verticality, and shared transit infrastructure.  Does that all change looking beyond COVID-19?

5 minutes ago, RANYC said:

If the premise of a surge of corporate relocations involves escaping density and avoiding things like shared transportation infrastructure, what does that mean for development patterns in Charlotte and in other places over the next 20 years?  Sprawl?  Road widening?  

Obviously, NYC represents an extreme level of densification.  Fast-growing and fast-evolving places like Charlotte, however, have planning initiatives under-way to encourage density, verticality, and shared transit infrastructure.  Does that all change looking beyond COVID-19?

Densification isn't the problem, crowding is.