Economic Development - Expansions and Relocations

J-Rob

From Business NC

https://businessnc.com/st-louis-health-insurer-centene-reportedly-plans-massive-charlotte-expansion/

and I agree with @kermit insurance companies are cheap I mean always looking for less expensive office options.  I know I work for 2 in my former careers and they are drawn to suburbs usually.   Having Allstate's tech center in the Railyard was an exception but I think they did that to attract new employees.  

• Like 1

One more thing about Centene their current Charlotte office is at 10101 David Taylor Drive in the University Research Park and there is plenty of vacant land nearby.  There is a 80 acre tract across the street and Electrolux has a good bit of vacant land as well.   anyway there is plenty of land in URP for a 1 M sq campus of some sort.  

• Like 1

The tech component here is really encouraging. Between these jobs, Lowes, BoA's IT work here and Duke (not sure how much IT work Wells does here). Charlotte is becoming a pretty decent corporate IT town. This will pay big dividends in the future.

(and don't forget about Microsoft and ESRI, I am sure there are others).

Edited by kermit
  • Like 2

another story about it.

https://www.wraltechwire.com/2020/07/01/health-insurance-giant-centene-to-invest-1b-for-hq2-in-charlotte-bringing-6000-jobs/

This is fantastic news just not for Charlotte but our region as their employees will settle in Cabarrus Rowan, Iredell, Lincoln Gaston and Meck counties and probably even Union.  Great for the region! 

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, CLT2014 said:

Did they mention where the specific 80 acres are that they purchased?

22 minutes ago, Madison Parkitect said:

For those of us who couldn't watch the announcement, did they say where in University City it's going to be? I can't find a spot on the map that looks like the screenshot above.

Based solely on the overhead picture, which shows a creek bisecting the property which flows into another creek at the bottom of the property, it looks like it would be south of Governor Hunt Road, north of Mallard Creek Greenway. East of Mallard Creek Road.