Economic Development - Expansions and Relocations

J-Rob

Cary would probably be the best landing spot.  But putting the ACC HQ minutes away from two of the biggest power players in college sports and down the street from Wake might be too much for some.  Do your thing Charlotte Regional Business Alliance.  

Edited by CriticalT

1 hour ago, Desert Power said:

SEC Network is based here too. Charlotte is a good neutral ground for colleges.  Also, don't forget about NASCAR. Even though they are in a bit of a downturn, so many drivers/garages are northeast of the city.

Don't forget even though the Basketball Tourney is gone, the CIAA has their HQ here as well. ACC would make 2.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Charlotte makes more sense than any town (Cary) or city (Raleigh) along the Tobacco Road. Greensboro is seen as fairly neutral territory to folks living in the piedmont... But that's because their focus is on Wake, Duke, UNC, and State. So for those 4 schools, GSO is neutral. But for ACC schools outside of tobacco road, I can see how even a Greensboro location could be viewed as favoring/bias to those 4 schools and the legacies of each.

Charlotte would make the most sense for the conference geographically, but I wouldn't rule out NYC given the conference's aspirations. Agreed that Atlanta feels like SEC country despite GT's presence there. And DC has always felt like Big East country to me, despite the ACC's focus on having the tourney there. Also, DC proper has never felt like a great sports town to me. If the ACC decides to move their HQ, my bets are on Charlotte. It makes the most sense.

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, rancenc said:

500 jobs averaging $87K  that is great news!   More breakdown on jobs here in this Biz Journal article

Mortgage lender Intercontinental Capital Group to add 500 jobs in local expansion - Charlotte Business Journal (bizjournals.com)

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, KJHburg said:

500 jobs averaging $87K  that is great news!   More breakdown on jobs here in this Biz Journal article

Mortgage lender Intercontinental Capital Group to add 500 jobs in local expansion - Charlotte Business Journal (bizjournals.com)

Any thoughts on whether these jobs will stay in the Southpark area, or move uptown or to Southend? 

Just now, Blue_Devil said:

Any thoughts on whether these jobs will stay in the Southpark area, or move uptown or to Southend? 

They will need more space for sure.  I would bet Southpark or a suburban cheaper option.  Mortgage companies are notoriously cheap when it comes to their office space most look for inexpensive options so I would say suburbs maybe Southpark. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KJHburg said:

They will need more space for sure.  I would bet Southpark or a suburban cheaper option.  Mortgage companies are notoriously cheap when it comes to their office space most look for inexpensive options so I would say suburbs maybe Southpark. 

Depends on the roles.  Origination and underwriting and corporate jobs usually require more (and nicer) space than processing and servicing jobs.

Better Mortgage put a bunch of jobs in South End at the Railyard, and had projected growth to a 1,000 employees in a relatively short amount of time.  These guys are in Montford Park, right?  Aren't offices under renovation now?  Space to absorb this growth in that area already, perhaps?

2 hours ago, KJHburg said:

if this Long Island based mortgage company wanted new space in in the Park Rd submarket how about this the Levine Properties Akridge redevelopment  of the old Parsons office on Hedgemore.

4701 Hedgemore Drive Akridge Invested - Commercial Real Estate Services

all newly renovated.  

Might need more space than that.  What's the rule - 300 sq feet per headcount?  Already have 179 and adding 500...so likely to need 200,000 sq feet.

1 minute ago, RANYC said:

Might need more space than that.  What's the rule - 300 sq feet per headcount?  Already have 179 and adding 500...so likely to need 200,000 sq feet.

I thought about that but with work for home for some employees all these per square per employee ratios maybe out the window.  Then the brand new Ballantyne office tower would be perfect. Could get naming rights on that one.  

New Office Space for Lease & Rent in Charlotte (projectballantyne.com)

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

from Charlotte Regional Partnership twitter
Charlotte Regional Business Alliance
@clt_alliance

#CLT's automotive industry is flourishing. More than 63,000 people work in the region's sector & nearly 16,500 work in high-value manufacturing. In the past 2 years alone, 20 automotive-related companies have announced plans to expand in the region, adding nearly 1,300 new jobs!

• Like 1