Economic Development - Expansions and Relocations

J-Rob

16 hours ago, KJHburg said:

from Charlotte Regional Partnership twitter
Charlotte Regional Business Alliance
@clt_alliance

#CLT's automotive industry is flourishing. More than 63,000 people work in the region's sector & nearly 16,500 work in high-value manufacturing. In the past 2 years alone, 20 automotive-related companies have announced plans to expand in the region, adding nearly 1,300 new jobs!

Doubly impressive numbers considering we are the only state (or one of the only) in the Southeast without a major auto manufacturing facility.  Maybe these numbers will change those dynamics eventually.  

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

From the Biz Journal about growth of warehouse space (and thus jobs) in the region.

"""In fact, real estate sources say Amazon is actively looking for another 1.5 million square feet in the local market — expected to be across at least two facilities. When asked, an Amazon spokeswoman said Monday the company is constantly exploring new locations but has a policy of not commenting on its future roadmap, including specific operations plans in North Carolina.""

""As of late last week, Avison Young was tracking 6.5 million square feet of industrial deals in the local market, said Chris Skibinski, managing director of the firm's Charlotte office. A couple of those deals are 1 million-plus square feet apiece.""

Amazon hunting for more real estate in Charlotte amid hot industrial market - Charlotte Business Journal (bizjournals.com)

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, joenc said:

#42 on the 2020 list

Pretty huge coup

does this mean they come back for additional incentives and this deal helps us to put pressure on the General Assembly to approve the referendum on transportation mobility plan?  Do city leaders then weave this huge HQ win into a broader narrative regarding the importance of major transit investments to keep up Charlotte’s momentum?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, steve_o said:

Think I remember seeing something about Dole quietly moving its HQ to Charlotte.  Yesterday they merged with Total Produce to form the world's largest fresh produce company with its US base in Charlotte:

https://charlotte.axios.com/248296/worlds-largest-fresh-produce-company-grows-charlotte-hq/

When on earth did Agenda get bought up? I totally missed that. I initially thought I was reading that article on some generic bot-driven news agglomerator site

Yes they opened an office in Charlotte a few years back to be close to their Research operations in Kannapolis now the Americas HQ (used to be based in Westlake Village CA outside of LA)

Dole and Total Produce agree to merge | Produce News (theproducenews.com)

Total Produce to Combine with Dole Food Company and Become Publicly Listed in the U.S. | Dole.com

• Like 1

This is cool to see for Dole, I've been consulting on a project for them the last two years.  The HQ is very admin based.  Whereas a lot of day to day is run out of, say, Monterey for their Dole Fresh Vegetables division.  This may be more like a Krispy Kreme HQ then a full office and relo like the Chiquita comparison, but good news nonetheless.

Edited by SouthEndCLT811
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, SouthEndCLT811 said:

This is cool to see for Dole, I've been consulting on a project for them the last two years.  The HQ is very admin based.  Whereas a lot of day to day is run out of, say, Monterey for their Dole Fresh Vegetables division.  This may be more like a Krispy Kreme HQ then a full office and relo like the Chiquita comparison, but good news nonetheless.

I am glad that Dole is here, even if it isn't a true HQ.  It's a much better situation than we had with Chiquita who fished around for money and then didn't even stay.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
Just now, CLT2014 said:

Is this a full relocation of all the jobs in Louisville or a shuffle in name only? 

Not sure, just saw it posted on Instagram.  If they're taking the whole building then seems like they'd definitely be bringing some jobs over from Louisville.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, nicholas said:

Not sure, just saw it posted on Instagram.  If they're taking the whole building then seems like they'd definitely be bringing some jobs over from Louisville.

CBJ said its just a move of their executive staff from current offices on Monroe rd at Wendover -- so not technically a new HQ. Its a bit of a local downsize since they are getting rid of their local laboratory space. They are leasing 32,500 square feet on Morhead st. which was downsized from 160,000 sq ft on Monroe rd.

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2021/03/11/clariant-corp-charlotte-relocation.html

Edited by kermit
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, kermit said:

CBJ said its just a move of their executive staff from current offices on Monroe rd at Wendover -- so not technically a new HQ. Its a bit of a local downsize since they are getting rid of their local laboratory space. They are leasing 32,500 square feet on Morhead st. which was downsized from 160,000 sq ft on Monroe rd.

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2021/03/11/clariant-corp-charlotte-relocation.html

I thought their US HQ was in Louisville?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, nicholas said:

I thought their US HQ was in Louisville?

Not sure. I am not trying to be argumentative, I was just parroting what I read in CBJ earlier in the week. Some excerpts:

A Swiss company that's kept its North American headquarters on Monroe Road in Charlotte since 1995 is making a big move later this year.

Clariant's current local headquarters, at the intersection of Monroe and North Wendover roads, is a 1950s-era building and slightly more than 160,000 square feet. Through sales of various business lines over the years, the company today has a smaller local headcount than it used to, about 130 in Charlotte, said Gene Mueller, North American president of Clariant.

Clariant also has a large presence in Houston, Texas, and Louisville, Kentucky, so consolidation in either of those cities was also on the table.

Edited by kermit