Economic Development - Expansions and Relocations

J-Rob

On 4/8/2021 at 8:44 AM, CLT2014 said:

We are so so far from making this list that this doesn't make sense. Currently North Carolina as a whole only ranks #27 in this country for number of billionaires (just 3). Missouri, Oklahoma, Montana, Indiana, Arkansas, Wyoming, Arizona, et. all have more. We are probably more likely to get hit by an asteroid in the next 20 years than have 50 - 100 billionaires move to North Carolina. 

4 now. 

1) Goodnight, SAS, Cary, NC

2) Sweeney, Epic Games, Cary, NC

3) Sall, SAS, Cary, NC

4) Dennis Gillings, IQVIA, Durham, NC

Having local billionaires hasn't much done much of anything for the Triangle. A new wing of the Art Museum...and?

9 hours ago, norm21499 said:

Charlotte will not have multiple billionaire's living within the city anytime soon.

I agree, and not only do I fail to see a clear link between billionaire primary residences and a sustainable and INCLUSIVE Charlotte economy, but I also reject the trickle-down theories that such a desire seems to imply.  Unlocking billionaire capital reserves and resources and making them available to finance ideas and innovation across a vast and diverse demography of budding, local entrepreneurs (including high-quality local education,  high-quality research, and high-quality infrastructure) is a much more worthy objective.  Billionaires invest in innovation and productivity in many places far and away from their primary residences, so I feel a local billionaire primary residence COUNT has very little to do with the title of this thread - ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT IN CHARLOTTE.

Edited by RANYC
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

22 hours ago, RANYC said:

I agree, and not only do I fail to see a clear link between billionaire primary residences and a sustainable and INCLUSIVE Charlotte economy, but I also reject the trickle-down theories that such a desire seems to imply.  Unlocking billionaire capital reserves and resources and making them available to finance ideas and innovation across a vast and diverse demography of budding, local entrepreneurs (including high-quality local education,  high-quality research, and high-quality infrastructure) is a much more worthy objective.  Billionaires invest in innovation and productivity in many places far and away from their primary residences, so I feel a local billionaire primary residence COUNT has very little to do with the title of this thread - ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT IN CHARLOTTE.

I will admit that I am fiscally liberal enough that I don't think billionaires should exist at all and that their value to society is limited to schlocky entertainment value. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 4/11/2021 at 7:20 PM, RANYC said:

I agree, and not only do I fail to see a clear link between billionaire primary residences and a sustainable and INCLUSIVE Charlotte economy, but I also reject the trickle-down theories that such a desire seems to imply.  Unlocking billionaire capital reserves and resources and making them available to finance ideas and innovation across a vast and diverse demography of budding, local entrepreneurs (including high-quality local education,  high-quality research, and high-quality infrastructure) is a much more worthy objective. ...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CarolinaDaydreamin said:

The April 2021 CBRE COVID-19 Impact on Resident Migration report was just released and Charlotte had the second highest growth of top 25 metros. VERY impressive numbers. Only Austin had higher growth.

image.png.1a35809320dd347a1b5818e23ce26e69.png1715054483_ScreenShot2021-04-20at10_32_29AM.png.7ff58bbe2ede736310f27aa2f531333a.png

So if I am reading that right our net move ins increased 50%+ ? Damn

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, atlrvr said:

Our metro population has been consistently bigger than Austin  (MSA and CSA).

Ah ok.  Got it.  These figures are still a bit puzzling, however, because the last updated figures I'd seen had us at around 2.6 or 2.7 million, and that number was fairly consistent across data providers.  I know we're growing, but something else must be getting included for us to make that big a leap.