Jump to content
J-Rob

Economic Development - Expansions and Relocations

Recommended Posts

That new building in Miami is impressive, but I still firmly believe that Charlotte will have several billionaires in the foreseeable future.  Charlotte is a TOTALLY different city from when I first saw it around 1991.  At that time, I would have never guessed that it would become what it is today.

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

That new building in Miami is impressive, but I still firmly believe that Charlotte will have several billionaires in the foreseeable future.  Charlotte is a TOTALLY different city from when I first saw it around 1991.  At that time, I would have never guessed that it would become what it is today.

Charlotte will not have multiple billionaire's living within the city anytime soon.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/8/2021 at 8:44 AM, CLT2014 said:

We are so so far from making this list that this doesn't make sense. Currently North Carolina as a whole only ranks #27 in this country for number of billionaires (just 3). Missouri, Oklahoma, Montana, Indiana, Arkansas, Wyoming, Arizona, et. all have more. We are probably more likely to get hit by an asteroid in the next 20 years than have 50 - 100 billionaires move to North Carolina. 

4 now. 

1) Goodnight, SAS, Cary, NC

2) Sweeney, Epic Games, Cary, NC

3) Sall, SAS, Cary, NC

4) Dennis Gillings, IQVIA, Durham, NC

 

Having local billionaires hasn't much done much of anything for the Triangle. A new wing of the Art Museum...and?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, norm21499 said:

Charlotte will not have multiple billionaire's living within the city anytime soon.

I agree, and not only do I fail to see a clear link between billionaire primary residences and a sustainable and INCLUSIVE Charlotte economy, but I also reject the trickle-down theories that such a desire seems to imply.  Unlocking billionaire capital reserves and resources and making them available to finance ideas and innovation across a vast and diverse demography of budding, local entrepreneurs (including high-quality local education,  high-quality research, and high-quality infrastructure) is a much more worthy objective.  Billionaires invest in innovation and productivity in many places far and away from their primary residences, so I feel a local billionaire primary residence COUNT has very little to do with the title of this thread - ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT IN CHARLOTTE.

Edited by RANYC
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, RANYC said:

I agree, and not only do I fail to see a clear link between billionaire primary residences and a sustainable and INCLUSIVE Charlotte economy, but I also reject the trickle-down theories that such a desire seems to imply.  Unlocking billionaire capital reserves and resources and making them available to finance ideas and innovation across a vast and diverse demography of budding, local entrepreneurs (including high-quality local education,  high-quality research, and high-quality infrastructure) is a much more worthy objective.  Billionaires invest in innovation and productivity in many places far and away from their primary residences, so I feel a local billionaire primary residence COUNT has very little to do with the title of this thread - ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT IN CHARLOTTE.

I will admit that I am fiscally liberal enough that I don't think billionaires should exist at all and that their value to society is limited to schlocky entertainment value. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

While not being his permanent resident.  Michael Jordan (worth $1.6 billion) has 2 homes in Charlotte and does a ton for both Charlotte and the Carolina's as a whole.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/11/2021 at 7:20 PM, RANYC said:

I agree, and not only do I fail to see a clear link between billionaire primary residences and a sustainable and INCLUSIVE Charlotte economy, but I also reject the trickle-down theories that such a desire seems to imply.  Unlocking billionaire capital reserves and resources and making them available to finance ideas and innovation across a vast and diverse demography of budding, local entrepreneurs (including high-quality local education,  high-quality research, and high-quality infrastructure) is a much more worthy objective. ...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Billionaires add a lot to local communities.  They fund new parks, monuments, cultural buildings, etc.  NY and London have benefited immensely from their Uber-rich residents.  

Economic relocations to NC may bring should pretty wealthy people to the state.
 

 

 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.