Economic Development - Expansions and Relocations

J-Rob

I wonder if this was the big announcement @theronhobbsreferenced a few weeks back.  It’s not 6x the size of the Kroger distribution center though as he had suggested, so perhaps there is another game changer industrial manufacturer waiting in the wings

45 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

Megasites bring mega deals we need more large scale business and industrial parks in this region!   

Agreed. The Triad and the Triangle have been assembling large-scale industrial sites for a while now and they are starting to bear enormous fruit in strategically important manufacturing sectors.  It’s long past time for the Charlotte Region to dive into the industrial mega project game.  These industrial companies tend to pay solid middle-class wages and they lead to a significant amount of spinoff business- two important considerations for economic mobility of the region’s citizens.  Not everything has to be a white-collar F500 hq job.

• Like 4

Just now, cltbwimob said:

Agreed. The Triad and the Triangle have been assembling large-scale industrial sites for a while now and they are starting to bear enormous fruit in strategically important manufacturing sectors.  It’s long past time for the Charlotte Region to dive into the industrial mega project game.  These industrial companies tend to pay solid middle-class wages and they lead to a significant amount of spinoff business- two important considerations for economic mobility of the region’s citizens.  Not everything has to be a white-collar F500 hq job.

Exactly these are great jobs and I know a park called Larkin in Iredell County will have large industrial sites.  How about some around the airport not for distribution but for industrial like this plant?  CLT owns lots of surplus acreage.   Cabarrus now even now needs to start planning another big industrial park.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, KJHburg said:

a $1 Billion Eli Lilly pharma plant approx. 600 jobs over a campus like setting.  

https://www.cabarrusedc.com/lilly-bringing-1-billion-investment-to-cabarrus/

Megasites bring mega deals we need more large scale business and industrial parks in this region!   This is great news as most of these jobs like went to the Triangle or eastern NC Greenville Rocky Mount or Wilson or Sanford.   This is game changing for this region with the upcoming medical school! 

There it is!! Proud to be a part of this project. Renderings will be released soon.

4 hours ago, cltbwimob said:

I wonder if this was the big announcement @theronhobbsreferenced a few weeks back.  It’s not 6x the size of the Kroger distribution center though as he had suggested, so perhaps there is another game changer industrial manufacturer waiting in the wings

Sizes fluctuate. Haven't checked them in awhile. But over 800k SF is still over 4x larger than Kroger at 200k. Pharmaceutical manufacturing is different than a fulfillment/distribution center.

The-Grounds-at-Concord-Development-EDC2-1583x2048.thumb.png.07355ba896443f9f7bb3e22b18dd7c20.png

There's a reason why North Carolina had the nation's top business climate in 2021, according to Site Selection magazine, and the void of Philip Morris is proving to be fruitful for Cabarrus County and the Charlotte metro area. https://siteselection.com/press/releases/211101.html

SITE SELECTORS' TOP LOCATION CRITERIA FOR 2021

• 1. Workforce skills
  • 2. Transportation infrastructure
  • T3. Workforce development
  • T3. Ease of permitting and regulatory procedures
  • 5. Utilities (cost, reliability)
  • 6. Right-to-work state
  • T7. Higher education resources
  • T7. State and local tax scheme
  • T9. Economic development strategy
  • T9. Land/building prices and supply
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, theronhobbs said:

There it is!! Proud to be a part of this project. Renderings will be released soon.

Sizes fluctuate. Haven't checked them in awhile. But over 800k SF is still over 4x larger than Kroger at 200k. Pharmaceutical manufacturing is different than a fulfillment/distribution center.

The-Grounds-at-Concord-Development-EDC2-1583x2048.thumb.png.07355ba896443f9f7bb3e22b18dd7c20.png

Aww man, I was hoping that there was still another big announcement waiting in the wings. Oh well, it’s still great that we actually got a big name manufacturer in a strategically important advanced industry.  

In the past year, I’ve seen so many major manufacturers go to the Triad and Triangle…I was getting pretty sick of seeing little more than spec warehouses and distribution centers for our industrial market while they notched major manufacturer after major manufacturer in advanced industries.  Glad this wasn’t just another distribution center.

• Like 3

^ Actually a lot of pharmaceutical manufacturing in NC is done outside of Wake and Durham counties.  Much of the R & D is there for sure  and there is some pharma plants there but the biggest ones are in Sanford,  Greenville, Rocky Mount, Wilson and Clayton (eastern NC) 

https://businessnc.com/eli-lilly-makes-a-huge-bet-on-north-carolina/   Obviously the Triangle's strengths in pharma helped but this is a statewide industry.   I do think with the new Med school we will get spinoffs in the future.    This is a great win for this region and the state as a whole. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

^ Actually a lot of pharmaceutical manufacturing in NC is done outside of Wake and Durham counties.  Much of the R & D is there for sure  and there is some pharma plants there but the biggest ones are in Sanford,  Greenville, Rocky Mount, Wilson and Clayton (eastern NC) 

https://businessnc.com/eli-lilly-makes-a-huge-bet-on-north-carolina/   Obviously the Triangle's strengths in pharma helped but this is a statewide industry.   I do think with the new Med school we will get spinoffs in the future.    This is a great win for this region and the state as a whole. 

Interesting.  I didn’t know about Sanford, etc.  Frankly, I didn’t even know that the Triangle is a pharma powerhouse until I moved to Chapel Hill, but it is, indeed, a massive industry here.

Anyway, the Lily plant is good for the QC.

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Interesting.  I didn’t know about Sanford, etc.  Frankly, I didn’t even know that the Triangle is a pharma powerhouse until I moved to Chapel Hill, but it is, indeed, a massive industry here.

Anyway, the Lily plant is good for the QC.

Pfizer has a huge plant in Sanford.  I knew after Covid started and supply problems started NC would be the beneficiary of new pharma plants as the traditional areas California Massachusetts and Maryland are very expensive places to operate in as well as New Jersey. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Pfizer has a huge plant in Sanford.  I knew after Covid started and supply problems started NC would be the beneficiary of new pharma plants as the traditional areas California Massachusetts and Maryland are very expensive places to operate in as well as New Jersey. 

Any connection with Dole Foods (antibiotics, etc) ?

• 3 weeks later...

Four houses would send maybe six children to public school. The commercial/industrial investment of 1 million$ would send zero students to school. In fiscal year 2019 46% of county budget was education. Page 70 of this document:

https://docs.cabarruscounty.us/WebLink/1/edoc/1827850/Fiscal-Year-2019-Budget.pdf

• Like 2