Economic Development - Expansions and Relocations

J-Rob

4 hours ago, tarhoosier said:

Four houses would send maybe six children to public school. The commercial/industrial investment of 1 million$ would send zero students to school. In fiscal year 2019 46% of county budget was education. Page 70 of this document:

https://docs.cabarruscounty.us/WebLink/1/edoc/1827850/Fiscal-Year-2019-Budget.pdf

Since public education is supposedly a long term investment and not a contributor to the tax base, as a county tax payer of Cabarrus with NO direct interest in the county schools, I am beginning to question the 46% of my property taxes in this endeavor....and that is not considering my state taxes on this subject!:tw_flushed:

2 hours ago, rancenc said:

Since public education is supposedly a long term investment and not a contributor to the tax base, as a county tax payer of Cabarrus with NO direct interest in the county schools, I am beginning to question the 46% of my property taxes in this endeavor....and that is not considering my state taxes on this subject!:tw_flushed:

Your view is reasonable, but 46% sure beats a poorly educated populace. Plus, local schools are a significant factor in companies considering the area for relocation (not to mention people moving from other states). Those relocations are driving the local economy. Taxes spent on schools here are considerably less than taxes spent on schools in "blue states". I never went to a public school before college and neither did my children. The value of my house is still tied to the quality of the school district I'm in so I still benefit from a reasonable investment in schools. FWIW, you could make the same argument about transit, stadiums, museums, parks, etc. I certainly hate paying for wars but I never get a choice on those...

• Like 2

that is why all the surrounding counties are very aggressive in attracting new industry warehouses etc to help balance their property tax revenue streams.

That is why projects like this massive industrial expansion in Mooresville is important to the town and county.

https://wraltechwire.com/2022/02/17/mooresville-supplement-manufacturer-bestco-expanding-will-invest-177m-create-nearly-400-jobs/

• Like 3

Bestco used to be one of my customers before I went full time Dad.

They seemed like a great company that had a cool history. I always loved going down the menthol cough drop line, always opened up the sinuses. 

I knew this expansion was coming but wasn't aware it was that large. They did merge with another "nutraceutical" company not to long back that I believe was also their biggest competitor at the time. They were based out of California so it was definitely cheaper for them to move any and all operations this direction.

• Like 2

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/article258500098.html

Pharmaceutical company plans $177 million expansion, nearly 400 new jobs near Charlotte BY HANNAH LANG UPDATED FEBRUARY 17, 2022 4:33 PM

image.thumb.png.aaa7cff8c22d45cd1f0085a906257826.png

BestCo LLC, a manufacturer of over-the-counter pharmaceutical, vitamin, and supplement products, will significantly expand its facilities in Iredell County. JEFF SINER [email protected]

Read more at: https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/article258500098.html#storylink=cpy

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, theronhobbs said:

@KJHburg I wish I could make next week's meetup! BestCo, Sherwin Williams, Eli Lilly, and Project Rabbit are all our projects. I'm the last month and a half alone, over 3M SF of warehouses has passed through the office, not counting any of these EDC projects. E-commerce boom.

when is Project Rabbit going to hop into Rowan County?  that is a big one. 

• Like 2

Bob Morgan (yes, that Bob Morgan) is pretty unhappy about some proposed new laws in SC that will increase state government regulation of SC businesses.  Weird flex for SC republicans, could be good news for the Old North State…

Bob Morgan, president and CEO of the state Chamber of Commerce, said the measure still sends the wrong message to both existing employers and those looking to relocate here. 

“South Carolina has a long and proud tradition of allowing private-sector employers to run their businesses without excessive government interference, which has been a strong competitive advantage for the state’s job creators,” he said. “Imposing a major tax increase on employers that are attempting to make decisions that they believe is in the best interest of their businesses would run directly counter to that principle.” 

https://www.postandcourier.com/politics/sc-senators-advance-attention-getter-to-deter-covid-vaccine-mandates/article_5048db5a-9003-11ec-9649-e3e85ff636f0.html

Edited by kermit

This is one that had been speculated a little, right, or is this one more of a surprise?  There is always so much going on I can't keep track anymore.  A nice problem to have actually. 

Also, and not to veer this thread off course, a question for those on here that have their finger firmly on the development pulse.  What are the chances the Catholic Diocese might feel compelled to entertain any potential suitors on their lot next door in the near future?  I mean, they have to be getting a call here and there right? 

• Like 2

More on how economic incentives work from Cabarrus County but this is true in most of the state.

""How economic investments work
Over the investment period, the company pays the full tax amount, based on the ad valorem value of their property. During each year of the investment period, the Tax Administration office verifies all terms are met and then grants back the designated percentage of the increase in real and personal property taxes that were paid. The County benefits from an increase in real and personal property tax during this time. If terms are not met or once the investment period ends, the County benefits from 100% of the increase in real and personal property tax values at the site.  As an added benefit, industrial sites generate tax value without utilizing costly resources, like public safety and schools, which are needed to service residential properties.""

so if companies don't meet their job or investment targets they don't get rebates. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Not NC related (yet), but the NYT had an interesting story yesterday on the planned Rivian electric truck plant east of Atlanta (near Social Circle). Based on the story it appears the right has decided to vilify Rivian, electric cars and economic development in general, so they are trying to NIMBY the factory out of Walton County (and Georgia all together). So, perhaps an opening for NC here?

On March 1, Perdue held a rally in Rutledge, about 50 miles east of Atlanta near the site of the planned factory. He was introduced by leaders of the opposition group and focused his remarks on why the Rivian factory was a bad fit for the community, and how, he said, Kemp had sold out to special interests.

Speaking to a couple hundred local residents in a leafy park, Perdue invoked George Soros, the prominent Democratic donor whose hedge fund owns $2 billion in Rivian stock and who is a frequent target of conservatives.

“We can grow the economy without selling out and giving our tax dollars to people like George Soros,” Perdue said to cheers. “We can invest in rural Georgia without kicking our communities to the curb.”

But in Rutledge, antipathy for the Rivian factory has gone beyond simple not-in-my-backyard localism, at times veering into the conspiratorial.

Bruce LeVell, a Georgia businessman and an adviser to former President Donald Trump, who introduced Perdue at the rally, cast the project as an effort by Democrats to sway the vote in an overwhelmingly Republican county.

“We found out that Soros has a tremendous amount of money backing this project,” LeVell said in an interview with One America News, the far-right television network. “We don’t need George Soros involved in anything dealing with Georgia.”

https://news.yahoo.com/electric-truck-factory-became-lightning-175915725.html

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, kermit said:

Not NC related (yet), but the NYT had an interesting story yesterday on the planned Rivian electric truck plant east of Atlanta (near Social Circle). Based on the story it appears the right has decided to vilify Rivian, electric cars and economic development in general, so they are trying to NIMBY the factory out of Walton County (and Georgia all together). So, perhaps an opening for NC here?

They looked here once, hopefully again. 

1 hour ago, kermit said:

Purdue is trying to run to the right of Kemp. At the risk of getting political, the far right is VERY anti EV. Its an easy cheap political fight for Purdue at the expense of the local job market. The economy is obviously in a strong place when one tries to win political points by disparaging local job projects.

1 hour ago, kermit said:

It's not just the right who oppose this and it's not just about opposing "green jobs":

Opponents cite a range of concerns. Some fear the factory will contaminate the groundwater. Others disapprove of the lucrative public incentives being offered to Rivian. Many worry the huge facility will change the area’s bucolic character, increasing light pollution, snarling traffic and spurring more development.

Some Democrats oppose the factory, too. Jeanne Dufort, a local real estate broker, attended the rally for Perdue wearing a T-shirt declaring her support for Stacey Abrams, the Democrat who is running for governor.

“We’re not red or blue,” said Dufort, who has lived in the area for 21 years and said she was concerned that the factory would irrevocably transform the area’s small-town feel. “We have carefully defined what we want this community to be, and this is not it.”

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JBS said:

It's not just the right who oppose this and it's not just about opposing "green jobs":

Opponents cite a range of concerns. Some fear the factory will contaminate the groundwater. Others disapprove of the lucrative public incentives being offered to Rivian. Many worry the huge facility will change the area’s bucolic character, increasing light pollution, snarling traffic and spurring more development.

Some Democrats oppose the factory, too. Jeanne Dufort, a local real estate broker, attended the rally for Perdue wearing a T-shirt declaring her support for Stacey Abrams, the Democrat who is running for governor.

“We’re not red or blue,” said Dufort, who has lived in the area for 21 years and said she was concerned that the factory would irrevocably transform the area’s small-town feel. “We have carefully defined what we want this community to be, and this is not it.”

Nimbyism at it's finest, it seems. A lot of those concerns are the same concerns brought for any project people don't want. Traffic, light pollution, changing the neighborhood character.  It's a shame.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, norm21499 said:

Nimbyism at it's finest, it seems. A lot of those concerns are the same concerns brought for any project people don't want. Traffic, light pollution, changing the neighborhood character.  It's a shame.

11 minutes ago, JBS said:

It was actually left of center progressives lead by the illustrious US Representative from New York, Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez that scuttled Amazon's massive development in NYC several years ago!

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

On 3/15/2022 at 3:46 PM, JBS said:

Its not, but the significant change is, up until now, the pro-business right would tamp down and/or ignore these sorts of NIMBY concerns for projects of this size. This time Perdue has decided he can get more political mileage from being anti-business.

While the partisan portions of this are interesting (I genuinely miss pro-business republicans), I am more interested to watch how/if NC changes its economic development footing in this political environment. I hope we would still jump on these jobs if the option presents itself. 

Edited by kermit
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, kermit said:

Its not, but the significant change is, up until now, the pro-business right would tamp down and/or ignore these sorts of NIMBY concerns for projects of this size. This time Perdue has decided he can get more mileage from being anti-business.

While the partisan portions of this are interesting (I genuinely miss pro-business republicans), I am more interested to watch how/if NC changes its economic development footing in this political environment. I hope we would still jump on these jobs if the option presents itself. 

As long as it's not in my back yard...