Economic Development - Expansions and Relocations

J-Rob

I understand all the points above, but something that’s rarely talked about is the wildlife that’s displaced or wiped out altogether with 1000 acre clear cutting.  I get there’s a benefit to mega sites from an economic standpoint, I just hate it for the wildlife that doesn’t have a say in what we take from them.  

• Like 3

5 hours ago, turbocraig said:

I understand all the points above, but something that’s rarely talked about is the wildlife that’s displaced or wiped out altogether with 1000 acre clear cutting.  I get there’s a benefit to mega sites from an economic standpoint, I just hate it for the wildlife that doesn’t have a say in what we take from them.  

Especially when we have 'mega sites' already in places like Freedom Dr. or Wilkerson Blvd. 

• Like 3

The best decision I ever did was build our warehouse at Statesville Av and 85 about 30 years ago. I assembled about 6 different parcels that included and old defunct auto parts store, a bankrupt carpet company, and some things that had been dumped. It was all zoned I-1.  It came to about 8.5 acres total, and I probably could've added more if I wanted.  Directly across the street was a salvage yard. Hundreds of acres in there. And, this is but one tiny corner in Mecklenburg. 
At the time, I considered Lincoln and Cabarrus Cos, but, because I try to practice what I preach, we built where it now stands. We sold it last week. 
Before that, we refurbished what is now "Cedar Hill" building owned by Beacon. 
I sincerely believe that we did the right thing morally, environmentally, and economically by building where we did.
Bulldozing hundreds and thousands of beautiful forests for some kind of ego-driven growth-for-the-sake of getting you town on the map is not really thinking ahead.  Especially when we're trying to save the planet. 

I’m glad to hear your thoughts and this experience from you and I’m glad you saw it as the best choice! More people should be considering the best choice in the long term not the short term.
  • Like 3

30 minutes ago, SydneycartonII said:

BoA should invest these earnings in a 1,000’+ new HQ in Uptown.

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/07/18/bank-of-america-bac-2q-2022-earnings-.html

They have too many new buildings to do that… though they do need to get new space for their tech. 

if/when Goldman comes here I’ll be interested to see what they build.

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, Blue_Devil said:

if/when Goldman comes here I’ll be interested to see what they build.

How realistic is this?  A former frequent poster who was big in the local real estate market (he no longer posts here as far as I know) was talking about them building something here back before the 08 Recession.  What’s their deal?  Do they have a lot of employees here?  Have they said they’d like to build a tower or expand ops here?  I honestly don’t know.  Every time I hear their name, I feel like it’s vaporware.  But I honestly have no idea.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, turbocraig said:

How realistic is this?  A former frequent poster who was big in the local real estate market (he no longer posts here as far as I know) was talking about them building something here back before the 08 Recession.  What’s their deal?  Do they have a lot of employees here?  Have they said they’d like to build a tower or expand ops here?  I honestly don’t know.  Every time I hear their name, I feel like it’s vaporware.  But I honestly have no idea.  

More realistic now that they are full in on building a retail bank. They have been poaching some local talent here (much like SVB two years ago before their big move) in compliance and control spaces. 

2 hours ago, KJHburg said:

UK signs a trade deal with NC.  Story from the Times of London with a good plug for the Queen City.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/7504f6bc-0859-11ed-a986-fc91b4ad48f0?shareToken=719be028bbb68b0b8bfa70a114ee1dd9&utm_source=substack&utm_medium=email

They also failed to point out that the state was once part of Great Britain's empire....one of those pesky colonies!:tw_grin:

Edited by rancenc
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1