Economic Development - Expansions and Relocations

J-Rob

9 minutes ago, Reverie39 said:

Steele Creek seems like a seriously big industrial park. But I don’t really have a reference. Wonder if it’s considered a major park by people in the know.

the Westinghouse Blvd corridor is indeed the largest concentration of industrial and warehousing properties in the region and perhaps in the entire state of NC.  Anchor by the Siemens plant on one end and the Frito Lay plant closer to 77 this is indeed Charlotte's industrial and warehouse "downtown" for sure. 

Thousands of jobs are in this area.  According to JLL report 2Q22 the area has 42,000,000 sq ft of manufacturing and warehouse space.  Breakdown 3.5 M sq ft of industrial and almost 39 M sq ft of warehouse space. By far the largest such concentration in the region.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SouthEndCLT811 said:

Have to prevent the NC GOP from gaining super majority in the state senate in November or we'll likely end up in a similar position to Indiana on the issue.

Has there been any impact to Texas economic growth? I haven't heard about any companies in Texas making a stand in the national news. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, norm21499 said:

Has there been any impact to Texas economic growth? I haven't heard about any companies in Texas making a stand in the national news. 

When NC and Ga passed their questionable laws a few years ago, many companies took a disingenuous stand and “punished” the states.  Texas, by contrast, is going absolutely over the top on every issue, and yet, companies are relocating there in droves.  Clearly, the bottom line rules.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I wonder where in the state this plant will be.  Greensboro seems to be the aviation manufacturing hub, but Concord might be possible too.  Also, “Concord” would be an appropriate place to build supersonic jets.

“…. Boom will build the jet at a new manufacturing plant in North Carolina and expects to roll out the first model in 2025, with the first flight in 2026.”

https://www.maxim.com/travel/this-new-supersonic-jet-can-fly-from-nyc-to-london-in-just-3-5-hours/amp/

Also, I wonder if any of these will fly from Charlotte.

Edited by SydneycartonII
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, SydneycartonII said:

I wonder where in the state this plant will be.  Greensboro seems to be the aviation manufacturing hub, but Concord might be possible too.  Also, “Concord” would be an appropriate place to build supersonic jets.

“…. Boom will build the jet at a new manufacturing plant in North Carolina and expects to roll out the first model in 2025, with the first flight in 2026.”

https://www.maxim.com/travel/this-new-supersonic-jet-can-fly-from-nyc-to-london-in-just-3-5-hours/amp/

Also, I wonder if any of these will fly from Charlotte.

Isn't there some air park in eastern NC the state pumped a lot of money in to with hopes to lure an aircraft manufacturer? 

As for service, I don't think Charlotte will see the supersonic jet with scheduled flights. It'll probably be between major markets focusing on local premium traffic. The aircraft is probably premium heavy in addition to why take a super sonic jet if you have to make a connection right afterwards. 

Edited by AirNostrumMAD
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

Isn't there some air park in eastern NC the state pumped a lot of money in to with hopes to lure an aircraft manufacturer? 

As for service, I don't think Charlotte will see the supersonic jet with scheduled flights. It'll probably be between major markets focusing on local premium traffic. If the jet ever actually becomes reality.

Charlotte has become a major market.  Isn’t it among the ten busiest in the US?

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

If American ever offers a small fleet of 20 supersonic jets, it will be focused on point to point service for a few niche routes with very affluent residents between major cities where people can pay $8,000 for a seat like NYC - London, LAX - Tokyo, Miami - London, et... If people can afford an $8,000 supersonic seat... they don't want to be connecting with the cruise ship crowd going from Buffalo to Tampa via Charlotte.

Don't forget that it can only fly supersonic over the ocean. And it only seats 70-ish people. So it would be no more than a mind-bogglingly expensive regional jet on any domestic routes. 

3 hours ago, CLT2014 said:

Charlotte is a massive connecting hub for domestic flights, with some international service largely focused on connecting leisure travelers going to the Caribbean or tourist destinations in Europe like Rome and Dublin. Domestic leisure is a profitable group of customers when you connect them through the cheapest hub you have and maximize the profit for selling 180 $400 fares on a Airbus A321. You don't want to connect those customers through airports with high costs or the profit margin on a $400 fare quickly gets eaten away because connecting customers rarely pay a "premium" and just search for the lowest cost ticket with schedule that works for them.

If American ever offers a small fleet of 20 supersonic jets, it will be focused on point to point service for a few niche routes with very affluent residents between major cities where people can pay $8,000 for a seat like NYC - London, LAX - Tokyo, Miami - London, et... If people can afford an $8,000 supersonic seat... they don't want to be connecting with the cruise ship crowd going from Buffalo to Tampa via Charlotte.

But since all rich people are leaving NY, SF, and LA and moving to Charlotte, maybe that demand will exist in the future.

• Haha 4
  • Confused 3

So help me understand why American opts to route London bound, CLT originating award passengers through Phillly ? 
If it costs so much more to go through Philly, why would American  not want to cut their losses and just fly CLT award passengers directly to London ..? 

It depends. Because I picked random dates in February and the nonstops are the first two and cheapest options for mileage award redemption. Airline revenue management is quite sophisticated. For certain dates they can likely fill a cheaper connecting fare seat over PHL with the award ticket and sell a more expensive nonstop cash fare from CLT.
  • Like 1