Economic Development - Expansions and Relocations

J-Rob

My anecdotal experience with searching flights recently is that the $ spread between American direct options and American/Other indirect options has widened substantially. Several searches recently yielded direct flights that were $200 or more than the indirect options. I don't remember ever being so baffled or frustrated shopping for air fares.

55 minutes ago, tozmervo said:

My anecdotal experience with searching flights recently is that the $ spread between American direct options and American/Other indirect options has widened substantially. Several searches recently yielded direct flights that were $200 or more than the indirect options. I don't remember ever being so baffled or frustrated shopping for air fares.

Charlotte is a captive market. I thought I remember seeing somewhere like Cincinnati (when it was a DL hub) and Charlotte having among the highest local airfares in the country. 

FYI, if you haven't tried Skiplagged, that's what I use for flights to Charlotte. It's perfect for Charlotte. 

56 minutes ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

Charlotte is a captive market. I thought I remember seeing somewhere like Cincinnati (when it was a DL hub) and Charlotte having among the highest local airfares in the country. 

FYI, if you haven't tried Skiplagged, that's what I use for flights to Charlotte. It's perfect for Charlotte. 

A word of warning on using Skiplagged. The way that site gets cheaper fares is against the airlines' terms of service and the airlines do put some effort into identifying it. If they catch you they could charge you a fare difference or cancel/suspend your loyalty account. Here's a memo AA put out to travel agents early last year saying they were on the look out for it. It's probably safe to use for occasional travel as it seems like the airline isn't really taking action much at all against it unless you're doing it A LOT. But the same was true about credit card sign up bonus exploits until it wasn't and they started shutting down people's accounts.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

from the articles about Centene's decision to cancel their office project this from Mr Chung of the Economic Development Partnership of NC said this and this is very interesting :

"""Christopher Chung, head of the Economic Development Partnership of North Carolina, the public-private entity that recruits businesses in tandem with the state commerce department, told CBJ on Aug. 19 that this type of reckoning will be with us for at least the next couple of years as companies and their workers figure out what they want, what’s possible, and what’s most efficient. He pointed to a decision last month by Advance Auto Parts (NYSE: AAP) to exit their incentives agreement in Raleigh tied to a headquarters agreement negotiated in 2018. The company’s reasons mirrored Centene’s: Remote work reduced the need for office space and, in many cases, the need for new hires or existing employees to be in the headquarters city.

Chung told CBJ that, prior to Covid, his group’s recruiting broke down like this: 70% of prospects were industrial, including manufacturing, food processing, distribution and data centers, while 30% were office-based projects such as Centene, Advance Auto Parts, Apple Inc. (NASDAQ: AAPL) and Honeywell International Inc. (NASDAQ: HON). Now, the ratio is 95% industrial and 5% office.    “Will it come back?” Chung asked. “That’s the question.”

And that shift means an overwhelming majority of prospects are looking for suburban, exurban and rural sites — not cities. Chung acknowledged the change as well as lingering uncertainty, noting that commercial real estate investors and developers as well as urban downtown leaders are grappling with such questions in a constant, visceral way. From commercial real estate to transit investments, the societal shifts under way will carry significant influence, he added."""

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2022/08/22/north-carolina-centene-post-covid-recruiting-edpnc.html

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, KJHburg said:

this appears to be going to happen to the Siler City megasite in eastern Chatham County.  SE of Greensboro W of Durham.

1800 jobs in a semiconductor plant.

https://wraltechwire.com/2022/09/01/wolfspeed-picks-chatham-county-for-new-semiconductor-plant-1800-jobs/

https://edpnc.com/megasites/chatham-siler-city/  and yes Chatham County has the other megasite which is now the Vinfast factory site in the eastern part of the county and this site is not too far from the Randloph county megasite of Toyota Battery. 

The Charlotte region needs multiple megasite options or these will continue to bypass this area.   We need to start working on this yesterday. 

Yes, the Charlotte region needs megasites. But where? Eastern Union? Anson? Stanly? Rowan and Davidson?  Northern Iredell or Davie?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Blue_Devil said:

No, and I am going to be honest, that Krispy Kreme in the HQ is an embarrassment and arguably the worst quality KK in the whole state.  

Seriously. Last time I was there flies were all over the donuts. I now go to the Cotswold store for my Krispy Kreme fix. You would think they would try a little harder.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

I don't really know where to put this, so I will put it here. I found this article fascinating. It talks about athletes getting involved in the VC world.  I think most of us know that is happening. The more interesting news to me is that the Green Bay Packers partnered with Microsoft to start an incubator and draw start ups to the frozen tundra.

This seems like it would be right in Tepper's wheelhouse. We already have some Fintech incubators, but it would be cool if the Panthers (and maybe Hornets too) could partner with some of their corporate sponsors (like Honeywell or Atrium/Novant, or maybe Lowe's) to create a new incubator in Charlotte focused on diversifying industries in the area. 

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/inno/stories/inno-insights/2022/09/14/sports-startup-venture-capital.html?cx_testId=40&cx_testVariant=cx_23&cx_artPos=1#cxrecs_s

Does anyone on this board have Tepper's number?

Edited by J-Rob
  • Like 4

On 9/15/2022 at 11:47 AM, J-Rob said:

I don't really know where to put this, so I will put it here. I found this article fascinating. It talks about athletes getting involved in the VC world.  I think most of us know that is happening. The more interesting news to me is that the Green Bay Packers partnered with Microsoft to start an incubator and draw start ups to the frozen tundra.

This seems like it would be right in Tepper's wheelhouse. We already have some Fintech incubators, but it would be cool if the Panthers (and maybe Hornets too) could partner with some of their corporate sponsors (like Honeywell or Atrium/Novant, or maybe Lowe's) to create a new incubator in Charlotte focused on diversifying industries in the area. 

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/inno/stories/inno-insights/2022/09/14/sports-startup-venture-capital.html?cx_testId=40&cx_testVariant=cx_23&cx_artPos=1#cxrecs_s

Does anyone on this board have Tepper's number?

I've had Tepper's number since the day he bought the team. He's a db.