Economic Development - Expansions and Relocations

J-Rob

KJ, That was a great article. It is truly amazing to see that kind of selflessness and humanitarianism. Forget about red tape, forget about approval.....just get down there and do the job. KJ, you are a swell guy! Now get out to to CLT and take some new construction pics!

• Like 3

I love SF and think that it’s one of the five best US cities.  However, this is why individuals want to leave.  An easier life awaits in NC.  ($579k in NC vs. $3.2m in CA presents an easy choice IMO.)

https://www.redfin.com/CA/Cupertino/10387-Somerset-Ct-95014/home/790621

7037FAA7-5384-4444-9AC3-B675FB287B5A.jpeg

1F036B29-F981-411E-AA41-2A36DCB0A6F0.jpeg

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I love SF and think that it’s one of the five best US cities.  However, this is why individuals want to leave.  An easier life awaits in NC.

https://www.redfin.com/CA/Cupertino/10387-Somerset-Ct-95014/home/790621

7037FAA7-5384-4444-9AC3-B675FB287B5A.jpeg

That's not San Francisco and it's not even in the same Metropolitan area. When you live in an area as dense as the Bay area, I mean. That's the prices you get for a yuge front yard and very American Suburban home. And isn't Cupertino an elite-ish and geographically small area anyway? Let it be 5x more expensive for all I care. 

Less of this (Cupertino):

aerial-photo-of-apple-new-campus-under-construction-in-cupetino-picture-id691548572?k=20&m=691548572&s=612x612&w=0&h=mbxtZG7fLeeEYcIIrODe4dl0cOqtVQMosceShQdRElc=

More of this (San Francisco)

San-Francisco-iStock-1403851216.jpg

GettyImages-1331176817.jpg

• Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

28 minutes ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

That's not San Francisco and it's not even in the same Metropolitan area. When you live in an area as dense as the Bay area, I mean. That's the prices you get for a yuge front yard and very American Suburban home. And isn't Cupertino an elite-ish and geographically small area anyway? Let it be 5x more expensive for all I care. 

Less of this (Cupertino):

aerial-photo-of-apple-new-campus-under-construction-in-cupetino-picture-id691548572?k=20&m=691548572&s=612x612&w=0&h=mbxtZG7fLeeEYcIIrODe4dl0cOqtVQMosceShQdRElc=

More of this (San Francisco)

San-Francisco-iStock-1403851216.jpg

GettyImages-1331176817.jpg

Cupertino is 45 miles from SF.  In huge cities like NY and Lon, towns 45 miles away are suburbs with many commuters taking the train into the city each day.  I regard Cupertino as part of the SF metro.  In fact, Mountain View and Palo Alto, which are just as expensive, are even closer to SF and are clearly part of the Bay Area metro.

In any event, with the advent of remote work, you can have a much easier life in Charlotte or the Triangle than in Ca.  There are many Bay Area transplants in the Triangle.

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 1

To add on to this train wreck, errrrr, minor derailment, GSD was technically in Redwood City which is part of the San Francisco MSA, but geographically closer to Cupertino  .  In fact their HQ is about 1.5 miles from the MSA borderline :silly:

But yes, I'm sure the reasons KJ mentioned were all major factors.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, stiluvclt said:

KJ, That was a great article. It is truly amazing to see that kind of selflessness and humanitarianism. Forget about red tape, forget about approval.....just get down there and do the job. KJ, you are a swell guy! Now get out to to CLT and take some new construction pics!

believe it or not just yesterday I found out my friend's husband works for that organization E4E.   

• Like 3

The Charlotte Regional Business Alliance emailed out an interesting blog post today. It talks about their recruiting strategy for Q4.  Some of it is expected, yet reassuring to see, like trying to leverage Eli Lilly and the Pearl Innovation District at the new Med School.  Other pieces were much more interesting and shark-like.  They are targeting companies in Chicago trying to escape high crime and high taxation.

I thought it was an interesting read.

https://charlotteregion.com/blog/2022/10/06/clt-alliance-blog/rebranded-select-clt-team-accelerates-into-q4-with-flurry-of-recruitment-activity/

Edited by J-Rob
  • Like 2

The data is interesting, but I was alluding to the CRBA's reasoning rather than trying to make a political statement. I am sure there is more to be uncovered here, but I guess perception matters at the end of the day. 

quote.PNG.ef24feabb1a12bf349398bb85ace2399.PNG

https://charlotteregion.com/blog/2022/10/06/clt-alliance-blog/rebranded-select-clt-team-accelerates-into-q4-with-flurry-of-recruitment-activity/

• Like 1

If existing Charlotte businesses thrived and flourished and they could successfully recruit and fill their talent pipelines, and if those same businesses successfully pivoted as the marketplace shifted or successfully spun off new businesses to service new needs,  and if the per capita prosperity of people here outpaced inflation and whatever metric is needed to live well and feel good, I think I’d be fine not chasing companies in other cities by playing up negative attributes of those other places.  Again, what are we chasing here?  Who steps onto a plane and goes: “damn I wish there were more people in here.”

Edited by RANYC
  • Like 1

The FBI data for 2021 isn't accurate for Chicago due to a new reporting system in place that Chicago PD isn't up to date on.... hence the big 2020 to 2021 drop. Violent crime was actually up slightly from 2020 to 2021 in Chicago. Chicago Police also only has jurisdication in Chicago city limits (2.7 million people) and does NOT have county jurisdiction in Cook. Independent towns have their own police.  

City of Chicago:
Murder: 797 (+3%)
Criminal Secual Assault: 2,069 (+27%)
Robbery: 7,935 (+1%)
Aggravated Battery: 6,449 (-2%)
Total violent: 17,250
Violent crime rate per 100,000 people = 628
(17,250/2,746,388) X 100,000

Non-violent:
Burglary: 6,704 (-23%)
Theft: 12,986 (+21%)
Car Theft: 10,651 (+7%)
Total Crime: 47,591 (+3%)
https://home.chicagopolice.org/wp-content/uploads/CompStat-Public-2021-Year-End.pdf

Homicides are the biggest one where their is a big gap between Charlotte and Chicago:

With 797 homicides in 2021 the muder rate in Chicago (2.7 million people) was 29 per 100,000 citizens
With 96 homicides in 2021 the murder rate in Charlotte (873k people) was 10.9 per 100,000 citizens

Charlotte would need to bump to about 255 homicides per year to match Chicago's murder rate.

Edited by CLT2014
  • Thanks 3
  • Sad 1

14 minutes ago, CLT2014 said:

The FBI data for 2021 isn't accurate for Chicago due to a new reporting system in place that Chicago PD isn't up to date on.... hence the big 2020 to 2021 drop. Violent crime was actually up slightly from 2020 to 2021 in Chicago. Chicago Police also only has jurisdication in Chicago city limits (2.7 million people) and does NOT have county jurisdiction in Cook. Independent towns have their own police.  

City of Chicago:
Murder: 797 (+3%)
Criminal Secual Assault: 2,069 (+27%)
Robbery: 7,935 (+1%)
Aggravated Battery: 6,449 (-2%)
Total violent: 17,250
Violent crime rate per 100,000 people = 628
(17,250/2,746,388) X 100,000

Non-violent:
Burglary: 6,704 (-23%)
Theft: 12,986 (+21%)
Car Theft: 10,651 (+7%)
Total Crime: 47,591 (+3%)
https://home.chicagopolice.org/wp-content/uploads/CompStat-Public-2021-Year-End.pdf

Homicides are the biggest one where their is a big gap between Charlotte and Chicago:

With 797 homicides in 2021 the muder rate in Chicago (2.7 million people) was 29 per 100,000 citizens
With 96 homicides in 2021 the murder rate in Charlotte (873k people) was 10.9 per 100,000 citizens

I would imagine it’s still biased towards Charlotte when comparing Charlotte to Chicago because you have such a vast area of suburbs in Charlotte whereas Chicago is vastly more urban in the city limits. If we were to shrink Charlotte to it’s inner core, I would imagine the crime rate would rise when you start to cut out a vast major of land and areas such as Ballantyne, etc. 

Thats just generalizations and assumptions on my part but. 

01A3F99C-FD8E-4375-8088-6209DA148F3A.thumb.png.eb3ec4957a367cefcd9d54e95191d8ac.png

34 minutes ago, RANYC said:

If existing Charlotte businesses thrived and flourished and they could successfully recruit and fill their talent pipelines, and if those same businesses successfully pivoted as the marketplace shifted or successfully spun off new businesses to service new needs,  and if the per capita prosperity of people here outpaced inflation and whatever metric is needed to live well and feel good, I think I’d be fine not chasing companies in other cities by playing up negative attributes of those other places.  Again, what are we chasing here?  Who steps onto a plane and goes: “damn I wish there were more people in here.”

Very well stated.

3 hours ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

I would imagine it’s still biased towards Charlotte when comparing Charlotte to Chicago because you have such a vast area of suburbs in Charlotte whereas Chicago is vastly more urban in the city limits. If we were to shrink Charlotte to it’s inner core, I would imagine the crime rate would rise when you start to cut out a vast major of land and areas such as Ballantyne, etc.

:offtopic:One of my theories about all of the current hand-wringing about crime is that, as center city areas have gentrified, crime and poverty have been displaced to suburban areas. So while overall crime rates have pretty clearly declined, neighborhoods which historically felt 'exempted' from crime are now feeling it. I will admit I have not looked closely at any intra-urban crime data and this feeling of mine is largely based on anecdote and proxy data. I do remember that University City was one of the highest crime neighborhoods in Charlotte for several years about a decade ago. 

[now that I have said this, I will admit that I am guilty of making judgements about crime data without looking at the data -- exactly the kind of thing I have been calling out in this discussion...]

Edited by kermit
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

24 minutes ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

Thats just generalizations and assumptions on my part but. 

01A3F99C-FD8E-4375-8088-6209DA148F3A.thumb.png.eb3ec4957a367cefcd9d54e95191d8ac.png

Very well stated.

You can kind of slice and dice any city that way. New York includes Staten Island but it doesn't include Newark. Los Angeles has Pacific Palisades and Brentwood but it doesn't have Compton in city limits. I'm not sure what is really "urban core" in Charlotte either since it is all largely suburban outside of a few census tracts very close to Uptown. Plaza Midwood for example would be a suburban neighborhood in Chicago area based on the prevalance of single family bungalows. West Charlotte, East Charlotte, and North Charlotte are largely single family homes with garden style apartments. 

Really crime in any city comes down to how many good vs bad areas happen to be in the city limits. Charlotte just happens to have a larger percentage of its census tracts in "good areas" versus Chicago.

Edited by CLT2014

36 minutes ago, CLT2014 said:

You can kind of slice and dice any city that way. New York includes Staten Island but it doesn't include Newark. Los Angeles has Pacific Palisades and Brentwood but it doesn't have Compton in city limits. I'm not sure what is really "urban core" in Charlotte either since it is all largely suburban outside of a few census tracts very close to Uptown. Plaza Midwood for example would be a suburban neighborhood in Chicago area based on the prevalance of single family bungalows. West Charlotte, East Charlotte, and North Charlotte are largely single family homes with garden style apartments. 

Really crime in any city comes down to how many good vs bad areas happen to be in the city limits. Charlotte just happens to have a larger percentage of its census tracts in "good areas" versus Chicago.

In a recent discussion, a friend theorized that heterogeneous density brings many more clashes of wills, more conflicts, thus more crime until gentrification does its job reducing the heterogeneity, then you see a smoothing of the spike.

Edited by RANYC

5 hours ago, RANYC said:

In a recent discussion, a friend theorized that heterogeneous density brings many more clashes of wills, more conflicts, thus more crime until gentrification does its job reducing the heterogeneity, then you see a smoothing of the spike.

Sorry for the off topic contribution. Fully realizing that this is the internet and opinions are like a**holes around here, but this statement feels like it’s rooted in racism.  It’s reads that the more white people that move in an area, the less crime there is. Maybe that was not the intent, but this type of statement puts the crime rate narrative squarely on people of color instead of on the city for allowing developers to put $800k homes next to a row of duplexes disrupting economic opportunity for poor disproportionately POC people. 

I would encourage your friend to spend more time in more diverse circles. Heterogeneous mixtures are precisely how we learn to get along. And if nothing else, nature proves that life prefers diversity. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

11 hours ago, BJKM said:

Sorry for the off topic contribution. Fully realizing that this is the internet and opinions are like a**holes around here, but this statement feels like it’s rooted in racism.  It’s reads that the more white people that move in an area, the less crime there is. Maybe that was not the intent, but this type of statement puts the crime rate narrative squarely on people of color instead of on the city for allowing developers to put $800k homes next to a row of duplexes disrupting economic opportunity for poor disproportionately POC people. 

I would encourage your friend to spend more time in more diverse circles. Heterogeneous mixtures are precisely how we learn to get along. And if nothing else, nature proves that life prefers diversity. 

The relationship between urban density, the design of that density, and crime have been repeatedly studied for many years, with mixed results.  Heterogeneity is not just racial, but can also be mixed-income/mixed-means, can be employment status, can be religious, can be mixed-national origin.  My friend doesn't need to spend more time in new or diverse circles.  He's the kind of person to celebrate intellectual freedom, to ask questions, and to then go to Google Scholar to look for answers in the quality and due process of data-driven, inferential research.

To put back on topic...economic development efforts here may want to consider focusing on optimizing local conditions, rather than exploiting the struggles of faraway places.

Edited by RANYC
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1