Economic Development - Expansions and Relocations

J-Rob

5 hours ago, rancenc said:

400 new jobs in a county the size of Lincoln County about 97,000 in population is equivalent to a 4400 job announcement in Charlotte Mecklenburg county based on our population.

a little more from the Biz Journal today:

""The expansion calls for developing a new building of around 325,000 square feet in Lincolnton, where Bosch has long operated a manufacturing facility. The new building will include space for manufacturing, logistics and warehouse operations. The investment would take place by the end of 2027, the committee said.

The expansion also calls for the retention of 551 jobs, state documents show.

“Bosch does not have suitable land to build a building of this size at its current Lincoln County location,” a state executive summary sheet for the Bosch project states. “Therefore, property would need to be acquired. … This new building site could become the centerpiece for establishing a manufacturing campus supporting the future growth of Bosch’s power tool accessories in North America.”"

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2023/06/01/robert-bosch-tool-corp-lincolnton-expansion.html

great win for the region! 

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, U_R_ said:

Does anyone know why the Fortune 500 and 1000 is now behind an annoying paywall? Either way, looks like NC had a good showing as usual. 

It is a business and they need to pay their reporters, analysts, and try to make a profit as print subscriptions continue to decline. The ad revenue from display advertising on the site does not offset the decline in subscriptions. 

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, Rufus said:

Charlotte has 9 companies on the F500, with Albemarle being a surprise entry at #493. 

The Triangle has 2 with IQVIA and Advanced Auto Parts. Triad gets one with Labcorp (which will be splitting into two companies next year). And Hickory gets one with CommScope. 

Overall F1000 Numbers are as follows: 

CLT - 16

Triangle - 7

Triad - 5

Hickory - 1

Asheville - 1

How many F500 and F1000 in South Carolina?  I dont think they had a F500 company HQed there last year.  And their biggest company is in Fort Mill I think Domtar. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

How many F500 and F1000 in South Carolina?  I dont think they had a F500 company HQed there last year.  And their biggest company is in Fort Mill I think Domtar. 

1 hour ago, Rufus said:

Charlotte has 9 companies on the F500, with Albemarle being a surprise entry at #493. 

The Triangle has 2 with IQVIA and Advanced Auto Parts. Triad gets one with Labcorp (which will be splitting into two companies next year). And Hickory gets one with CommScope. 

Overall F1000 Numbers are as follows: 

CLT - 16

Triangle - 7

Triad - 5

Hickory - 1

Asheville - 1

In conversation, I've been adding Ally to the F500 HQ list given its corporate center is here:).  Officially, it discloses HQ locations for Ally Bank (Utah), and a separate HQ location for Ally Financial (Detroit), but Charlotte is in its own category, singularly branded as "Corporate Center."  That was good enough for me to claim for Charlotte. 

Edited by RANYC
  • Like 4
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, atlrvr said:

CommScope, since Hickory is a generous definition on Charlotte metro, but since Catawba County helps funds Charlotte Alliance, they make their list.  

So, would be 10 F500 per their metro method.

and adding Ally, we get 11🙂

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 6/5/2023 at 11:48 AM, Rufus said:

The Triangle has 2 with IQVIA and Advanced Auto Parts. Triad gets one with Labcorp (which will be splitting into two companies next year)….

In cultural terms Labcorp is much more of a Triangle company (HQ is listed as Burlington which is technically part of Greensboro MSA). But, most of the folks working at the HQ live in Durham or Chapel Hill, many have partners at UNC or Duke med. I’ll bet fewer than 25% of Labcorp HQ employees live in Burlington or Greensboro.

While Labcorp is not the driver of the change, I would not be surprised to see Alamance get added to the Durham-CH metro in the next definition as super high housing costs in Orange and (in some of) Durham counties displace folks.

Edited by kermit
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Here is the list the Biz Journal did of the Carolinas Fortune 500 companies based in the Carolinas.  6 Fortune 250 companies in Charlotte metro total of 9  Fortune 500 HQs in the metro not counting Commscope up in Hickory.  SONOCO down in Hartsville actually has an office in Charlotte in case people fly in to visit their HQ by the airport.  It is Sonoco Trident Graphics one of their divisions based here.    9 Fortune 500 HQs is great for this city and there are more F1000 companies based in the metro too.  

No. 32: Bank of America, Charlotte — $115.05 billion in revenue, up 22.6% from the previous year; up four spots

No. 39: Lowe's, Mooresville — $97.06 billion in revenue, up 0.8% from the previous year; down four spots

No. 102: Nucor, Charlotte — $41.51 billion in revenue, up 13.8% from the previous year; down four spots

No. 115: Honeywell International (NASDAQ: HON), Charlotte — $35.46 billion in revenue, up 3.1% from the previous year; down 10 spots

No. 141: Duke Energy (NYSE: DUK), Charlotte — $28.78 billion in revenue, up 16.6% from the previous year; up four spots

No. 157: Truist Financial (NYSE: TFC), Charlotte — $25.36 billion in revenue, up 9.9% from the previous year; down two spots

No. 278: Laboratory Corp. of America (NYSE: LH), Burlington — $14.88 billion in revenue, down 7.7% from the previous year; down 48 spots

No. 286: IQVIA Holdings (NYSE: IQV), Durham — $14.41 billion in revenue, up 3.9% from the previous year; down 17 spots

No. 299: Sonic Automotive (NYSE: SAH), Charlotte — $14 billion in revenue, up 12.9% from the previous year; up one spot

No. 368: Advance Auto Parts (NYSE: AAP), Raleigh — $11.15 billion in revenue, up 1.4% from the previous year; down 31 spots

No. 415: CommScope Holding (NASDAQ: COMM), Hickory — $9.23 billion in revenue, up 7.5% from the previous year; down 10 spots

No. 448: Brighthouse Financial (NASDAQ: BHF), Charlotte — $8.47 billion in revenue, up 18.6% from the previous year; up 20 spots

No. 493: Albemarle, Charlotte — $7.32 billion in revenue, up 120% from the previous year; unranked in 2022

No. 498: Sonoco Products, Hartville (South Carolina) — $7.25 billion in revenue, up 29.7% from the previous year; unranked in 2022

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2023/06/05/fortune-500-companies-bank-of-america-albemarle.html

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Here is the Charlotte region's Fortune 500 and 1000 HQed companies.

https://charlotteregion.com/eco-dev/fortune-500-and-1000-companies-in-charlotte/

In its Annual Report, Ally Financial names its Charlotte, NC location as its singular "corporate center."   It does, however, still name a Detroit address as its "Principal Executive Office" on its Schedule 10K/10Q filing with the SEC.  My understanding is the CEO is a Clemson grad and is in Charlotte.  By what standard does a company define its "principal executive offices," well it appears to be a somewhat nebulous SEC reporting requirement made a bit more nebulous with some publicly-traded companies identifying as "remote-first."  At any rate, if certain critical communications need to be hand-delivered to a company's principal executive offices, then the filing declaration matters for at least that receiving activity. 

Yes, I'm looking to grow Charlotte's footprint in the Fortune 500 list by technicality. 

Edited by RANYC
  • Like 2

Looks like Bay Area gained 2 Fortune 500’s from 2022 to 2023 to bring it to a total of 38. Good lord. LA lost 2 bringing it to 12. 

Chicago lost 4 (for a total of 31), Seattle + 2 (12), Houston +1 (24), Dallas + 1 (23), NY - 3 (47), DC + 2 (19), Minneapolis -1 (14).

Atlanta (17) & Boston (15) remained the same. 

Haven’t seen the rest yet other than Charlotte. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RANYC said:

In its Annual Report, Ally Financial names its Charlotte, NC location as its singular "corporate center."   It does, however, still name a Detroit address as its "Principal Executive Office" on its Schedule 10K/10Q filing with the SEC.  My understanding is the CEO is a Clemson grad and is in Charlotte.  By what standard does a company define its "principal executive offices," well it appears to be a somewhat nebulous SEC reporting requirement made a bit more nebulous with some publicly-traded companies identifying as "remote-first."  At any rate, if certain critical communications need to be hand-delivered to a company's principal executive offices, then the filing declaration matters for at least that receiving activity. 

Yes, I'm looking to grow Charlotte's footprint in the Fortune 500 list by technicality. 

I wonder if there is an optics issue of openly calling Charlotte the HQ over Detroit...like, what if Ally got incentives or something to have it call Detroit home. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Rufus said:

I wonder if there is an optics issue of openly calling Charlotte the HQ over Detroit...like, what if Ally got incentives or something to have it call Detroit home. 

Interesting point.  Quite possibly.  If someone gave me the option to have our current Wells Fargo operating footprint or the Wells HQ, or our current positioning as the corporate center for Ally versus what it has established in Detroit, in both cases I'd take what we've currently got and with the payroll we've got.  These lists/rankings offer a fairly limited value and are certainly no reflection on a city's momentum, but the bragging rights game can be amusing in some circles.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...