Sign in to follow this  
MagicPotato

Why is the Bells Bend/Northwest Nashville area so empty/bare?

Bells Bend area looks great for building new neighborhoods. It's still relatively flat. Over the Cumberland river it's like straight nothing lol.  

The May family did want to develop their property in Bells Bend which they said would "rival CoolSprings."

Edited by jmtunafish
  • Like 2

49 minutes ago, jmtunafish said:

The May family did want to develop their property in Bells Bend which they said would "rival CoolSprings."

That could have balanced out Nashville a bit.  If it was successful,  it probably could have caused the housing market in that area to blow up. Probably make it dense enough to flow into Ashland  city.  Any reason why it failed?

Edited by MagicPotato

16 minutes ago, MagicPotato said:

That could have balanced out Nashville a bit.  If it was successful,  it probably could have caused the housing market in that area to blow up. Probably make it dense enough to flow into Ashland  city.  Any reason why it failed?

Probably local opposition. They want a quiet community that is separated from the hustle of the rest of the city. I’m cool with it, let the rest of the city dense up. Think of this area as a “reserve” for future expansion considerations ;)  

• Like 2

Local opposition, high cost of development, very little infrastructure in place to name a few. The closest fire station is a good 10 to 15 minute drive from BB. That is station 24 on Clarksville Pike. There are no schools close by. One elementary off Eaton's Creek a middle school off Kings Lane I think,  and the closest HS is Whites Creek that serves all of northwestern Davidson.

The people in this part of the county want it to remain agricultural. Any major development will be fought tooth and nail by those same people. 

When Bells Bend was proposed, they fought it and the roads are not in place to handle the additional traffic. It would have cost a lot to put another bridge over the Cumberland too.

Development here, not in the next 20 years as the last 20 has seen nothing but a subdivision a the Eaton's creek and  Briley area. It may be longer than 20 maybe even 30 or 40 years before anything substantial happens out here. I could be proven wrong, but I doubt it.

• Like 3

It's beautiful country out there, but I wish it were completely natural, because it'd make a perfect nature preserve/wildlife sanctuary.  Instead it's mostly agricultural land pockmarked with a few spotty sections of old growth forest.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Nathan_in_DC said:

Ah, Vancouver...I love that place. Only spent like 12 hours wandering the downtown and Gastown areas and I was amazed by it. It's like the city was built by an extremely talented player of SimCity.

There's zero need to develop it. Let already built up areas get some infill before we even consider taking more precious farmland, green space, and natural area... A little part of me dies every time I see open space turned into another lifeless, cul-de-sac "Bumblefudge Reserve" or "The Plantation at Farmtown" development.

methinks you misspelled "the plantation at farmtowne".

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Topography and relative isolation are biggest reasons. It's just like how the metropolitan area sprawls significantly to the east and south because it's flatter and easier to build upon versus the steep grades and hills to the north and west. That said, eventually you could see Joelton and areas like that up on the higher and flatter side upon the Highland Rim versus the interface between it and the lower Nashville Basin. 

• Like 2

I never really been in that area, but the landscape looks magnificent.. They should at least turn it into a national park. That would be pretty cool. 

1 hour ago, MagicPotato said:

I never really been in that area, but the landscape looks magnificent.. They should at least turn it into a national park. That would be pretty cool. 

I’m not sure how that’s how it works, making an area a National Park. 

1 hour ago, titanhog said:

Is Bells Bend in the flood plain...or is it on a bluff?

Technically, it's both but a majority of it is the Cumberland's flood plain.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NashRugger said:

Technically, it's both but a majority of it is the Cumberland's flood plain.

Well...that would be a good reason to keep it agri or park land.

From the pics if the city was smart they would just turn that into park land, build hiking and biking trails for citizens to enjoy and have a huge park just outside of town. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Titans10 said:

From the pics if the city was smart they would just turn that into park land, build hiking and biking trails for citizens to enjoy and have a huge park just outside of town. 

I think it's mostly privately owned land.

• Like 1