The 7-11 Thread

smileguy

3 hours ago, HankStrong said:

Honestly, as a fashionisto, the 7-11 bag is all I carry.

I know, right?

I take a few with me when I shop at The Mall at Millennia to put my Bloomingdale's, Tiffany's and Neiman Marcus purchases in.

Wouldn't want people to think I'm tacky or anything.

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

I know, right?

I take a few with me when I shop at The Mall at Millennia to put my Bloomingdale's, Tiffany's and Neiman Marcus purchases in.

Wouldn't want people to think I'm tacky or anything.

Apparently, Nieman-Marcus (aka Needless Markup) is one of the retailers on Bloomberg's bankruptcy watch, so you're not buying enough. Get out there and buy a chinchilla-wrapped coozie for your Big Gulp, stat!

BTW, Steak & Shake is also on the list. Can you imagine Colonialtown and WP without them? In Sight, It Must Be Right! 

• Like 1

Given that half of downtown is 7-Elevens, I'm not sure how it qualifies as off topic. And I'm much too erudite to ever be boring! (not to mention pretty, but I digress...)

And, I've never hated 7-Elevens. I started going to them when the front was just a big garage door and the hours really were7-11.

Heck, I even had a 7-Eleven brand beer once!

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Let us please move the 7-11 bashing to here and away from topics of actual interest. 

I hate 7-11 for the gay bashing I encountered  on gay pride last October at Central and Rosalind.  I filed a formal complaint to 7-11 cooperate and received no response. 

We have way to may 7-11's, but they are a convenience store. Why are they the one of choice by the city? 

2 hours ago, RedStar25 said:

Orrrr...... We've heard the same joke for over a year and it's boring and has nothing to do with the topic? 

I agree with the sentiment and joined in at times. 

It was cute at first, but it's time to move on. 

The repetition is part of the humor. I think it's what they call a "running gag" in the entertainment world. 

Well, homeless people DO hang around in front of downtown 7 Elevens and they DO often harass people, so it IS a legitimate topic of discussion in an urban issues forum. 

But as for the jokes about the seeming omnipresence of 7 Elevens downtown, I don't see where a bit of ongoing levity about it is doing any harm or detracting from the tone of the conversation. 

If nothing else, it fills in the slow periods when there just isn't much going on to talk about. Plus, it serves to subtly highlight the fact that 7 Elevens seem to be the only sundry retailer we can get. Prior to Publix and Walgreens, anyway. I think that is/was the driving factor that started the whole 7 Eleven thing to begin with.

At any rate, what would you rather have... tumbleweeds blowing and crickets chirping or some of us having some good natured fun, figuratively kicking our favorite dog?

BTW, I like the 7 Elevens. I'm glad I can pick up a cheap hot dog, chips and soda that I can eat sitting outside on a planter or something.

Edited by JFW657
  • Like 1

Frankly, I've spot-checked a ton of other cities forums and they get SQUAT for posts.  At least funny snippets and long-running nonsense bond us as forum users and keep the banter running.

A few comments about 7-11 in a joking manner certainly aren't hostile rants attacking the forum or the other users.  Plus, in strict terms of viewing these posts, they are usually <10 words or a picture.  They take about 1.3 seconds to view and dismiss as silliness and aren't an 8 paragraph diatribe that you have to read to figure out if you should ignore or respond.

FWIW, I have no problem shopping at or visiting a 7-11.  They certainly have received plenty of my $$ over the years.

• Like 3

That paragon of seriousness, The New York Times (they don't call it the Gray Lady for nothing) had a running gag in Gail Collins' op-ed column going for the many years of Mitt Romney running for president.

It had to do with them tying the family dog, Seamus, on the roof of the car for a family vacation. Whenever Gail would mention Mitt in a column, she'd try to work Seamus in. Most of the comments went right along. 

After the 2012 election, Gail moved on but now Mitt's back running for the Senate and one of the first things mentioned in the comments was disappointment that Seamus got no mention.

A running gag is a great way of helping folks feel a part of a publication. If it's good enough for the Times, I think we can say it's good enough for our little corner of UP.

• Like 1