Comparing Orlando...

orlandouprise

45 minutes ago, I am Reality said:

You should be ashamed of yourself.  You are seriously giving me crap about a school meeting?

My son is a special-needs student. I made an appointment to arrange for accommodations for him next year. I really don't want the high school f'ing everything up like the crapty middle school did.  

IS THAT ALRIGHT WITH YOU?  

You are a horrible, horrible person.

I was asked a question and I gave an honest answer.  If you don't like the answer, too damn bad. 

I have know been relentlessly attacked for raising the issue of school quality in the area.  Fine...you win.  The schools here are amazing.  World-class.  Beyond belief.  Spectacular.  Where the hell did I even get off raising the issue?

Do me a favor.  Talk more about the f'ing Ferris wheel. 

Okay.

The Ferris wheel is AWESOME!!!!!

Man, that thing is SO COOL!!!!! 

I hope they build another one right next to it!!!

Or better yet, on the other end of I-Drive so the people on one can look at the other one!!!

I wish they'd build one downtown too!!!!!

That do it for you? Any more requests?

Here's one for you... how about you stop being such a self-important drama queen?

So we don't share your apocalyptic visions of Orlando. So we come here to have fun discussing issues of less gravity than you seem to think we should.

So, what? 

In case it hasn't occurred to you, this isn't Meet The Press or even Metro Center Outlook.

We come here to have a bit of fun and talk about buildings, local businesses, restaurants, retail and attractions.

You seem to be trying to portray yourself as too high-brow for the rest of us and we as inferior riff-raff who lack your in-depth insight into the complex issues and problems that are dragging Orlando down into the sewer. Personally, I'm not buying it.

And as for the school meeting thing... put away the victim card. It's not gonna work either. You never said anything about any special needs of your kid and you portrayed your meeting (assuming there really is one) as being more general in nature and concerning the overall educational quality. Even implying that it was somehow geared towards solving what you see as the problem of low quality schools around here.

Quit trying to make me out to be some kind of insensitive, child-hating, un-PC monster. 

People are tiring of that crap, too.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, spenser1058 said:

But yet we keep encouraging him. Why is that again? I would ask a favor for my own peace of mind. If you must respond, please consider not doing a quote. I'd prefer not to encounter his vitriol.

You must have him on your ignore list.

If everybody did that, it wouldn't be an issue period.

Sounds like an idea whose time has come. :thumbsup:

19 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

Okay.

The Ferris wheel is AWESOME!!!!!

Man, that thing is SO COOL!!!!! 

I hope they build another one right next to it!!!

Or better yet, on the other end of I-Drive so the people on one can look at the other one!!!

I wish they'd build one downtown too!!!!!

That do it for you? Any more requests?

Here's one for you... how about you stop being such a self-important drama queen?

So we don't share your apocalyptic visions of Orlando. So we come here to have fun discussing issues of less gravity than you seem to think we should.

So, what? 

In case it hasn't occurred to you, this isn't Meet The Press or Metro Center Outlook.

We come here to have a bit of fun and talk about buildings, local businesses, restaurants, retail and attractions.

You seem to be trying to portray yourself as too high-brow for the rest of us and we as inferior riff-raff. Personally, I'm not buying it.

And as for the school meeting thing... put away the victim card. It's not gonna work either. You never said anything about any special needs of your kid and you portrayed your meeting (assuming there really is one) as being more general in nature and concerning the overall educational quality.

Quit trying to make me out to be some kind of insensitive, child-hating, un-PC monster. 

People are tiring of that crap, too.

What kind of lowlife criticizes ANYONE  for taking a meeting at a school, for ANY  reason? 

People don't typically take school meetings unless it is pretty important. Read between the f'ing lines loser. 

And again, I was asked a question and answered it.  Oh the drama of it all.....

And I'm not too high-brow for anyone. I am the ONLY person here that EVER  talks about raising wages and improving education.  How elitist of me. 

1 minute ago, I am Reality said:

What kind of lowlife criticizes ANYONE  for taking a meeting at a school, for ANY  angel love reason? 

People don't typically take school meetings unless it is pretty important. Read between the f'ing lines loser. 

And I'm not too high-brow for anyone. I am the ONLY person here that EVER  talks about raising wages and improving education.  How elitist of me. 

To the Ignore List with you!!!! :angry: :good:

3 minutes ago, I am Reality said:

What kind of lowlife criticizes ANYONE  for taking a meeting at a school, for ANY  reason? 

You're on the wrong message board for that. 

10 minutes ago, bqknight said:

You're on the wrong message board for that. 

Are you suggesting jobs and education have nothing to do with urban development?

I honestly can't think of ANYTHING more fundamental for a city.

I seem to have some real differences with everyone else.  Everyone fails  to acknowledge some really basic problems and attack me for raising them.  You have proven the problem runs even deeper than I thought.  

Everyone actually thinks this the way life is lived.  You define good jobs as those offering free Disney admission.  You are happy with mediocre schools.  Normal people would have looked at the school rankings and agreed things need to be better.  Not a single person said that.  NOT ONE.  

There is no ambition to be anything other than taller downtown.  It's ass-backwards and it makes no sense.   

I agree this isn't the place for me.  

All we need in this thread is a Godwin's Law reference and a proclamation of "THINK OF THE CHILDREN!"

Personally, I would add the 1991 King Missile song "The Boy Who Ate Lasagna and Could Jump Over a Church Parts I & II" as some ambiance in the background.

32 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

To the Ignore List with you!!!! :angry: :good:

Welcome to the club.  It's a lot better.

51 minutes ago, I am Reality said:

Are you suggesting jobs and education have nothing to do with urban development?

I honestly can't think of ANYTHING more fundamental for a city.

I seem to have some real differences with everyone else.  Everyone fails  to acknowledge some really basic problems and attack me for raising them.  You have proven the problem runs even deeper than I thought.  

Everyone actually thinks this the way life is lived.  You define good jobs as those offering free Disney admission.  You are happy with mediocre schools.  Normal people would have looked at the school rankings and agreed things need to be better.  Not a single person said that.  NOT ONE.  

There is no ambition to be anything other than taller downtown.  It's ass-backwards and it makes no sense.   

I agree this isn't the place for me.  

You LOVE playing a victim. 

Anyway - of course they do but this isn't the board to discuss that. It's a board to discuss what's being built and what's proposed. It's an escape for people, a light hearted thing. No action is coming from this board. Nothing will change because you decided to poo poo on whatever aspect of Orlando you hate today. 

I'm sure there are tons of political boards and other outlets (like going to City Council meetings) to vent your hatred of this city and make some real change. Here is not it. 

15 minutes ago, bqknight said:

(like going to City Council meetings) to vent your hatred of this city and make some real change. Here is not it. 

I have made that mistake a couple of times.  I went because I had legit business or a personal interest in the topic.  WOW do the weirdos come out in full effect for those.  My first one I had the honor of watching a Doug G. rant before I even knew who he was.  Epically miserable day.

It's amazing the random crap that spews out of people's mouths at those things.  Sounds like the perfect place for our reality-displaced poster.

10 minutes ago, HankStrong said:

I have made that mistake a couple of times.  I went because I had legit business or a personal interest in the topic.  WOW do the weirdos come out in full effect for those.  My first one I had the honor of watching a Doug G. rant before I even knew who he was.  Epically miserable day.

It's amazing the random crap that spews out of people's mouths at those things.  Sounds like the perfect place for our reality-displaced poster.

It could be his new hobby.

His new raison d'être.

I come to this site every few days and get a good laugh. I like to see “I am Reality” get so unhinged and emotional,  It reminds of one of those Sunday afternoon couch warriors with zero athletic ability screaming at the TV cause their team lost.  Seriously, if you hate the city so much move. I did not like living in Orlando so I relocated, but still have ties to area since my parents live here. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, HankStrong said:

Stumbled across this link in a RSS feed.  Couldn't wait to scroll to the bottom to see Orlando at #1 for the worst city in America, just because.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/economy/2018/06/13/50-worst-cities-to-live-in/35909271/

How can this be? We've been told consistently on these posts for the last couple of months that Orlando is the worst cesspool on the planet? I' m just so confused.

1 hour ago, spenser1058 said:

How can this be? We've been told consistently on these posts for the last couple of months that Orlando is the worst cesspool on the planet? I' m just so confused.

At what point did I say Orlando is the worst cesspool on the planet?  I seriously want to know.

I said Orlando has a disportionate number of low-wage tourism jobs.  The distinction between what you represent I said and what I actually said is pretty clear.

We can stipulate right now Orlando is better than Compton and Flint.

As I indicated the other day, we can also stipulate that Orlando is better than Tampa and Jacksonville.  Those seem to be your only points of reference when comparing Orlando to other cities. 

• 2 months later...
Wall Street Journal article about the economic boom in Nashville. It has more construction cranes than anywhere in the nation.https://www.wsj.com/articles/as-nashville-rapidly-expands-residents-worry-the-metropolis-is-growing-too-fast-1529314200?mod=e2tw

One thing that isn’t mentioned when we talk about Nashville, Atlanta, and Charlotte: all three are beneficiaries of aggressive recruitment by state agencies with tax incentives, bolstered by a state income tax. It’s why all those Marvel/Disney films are shot in Fayette County, GA now, why Charlotte can attract back-office financial services support ops, and Nashville has attracted high-profile corporate HQs. It’s pretty frustrating, because Orlando (the city and the MSA) was quite a buzzy, exciting place in the 1990’s. Perhaps I was seeing it through the lenses of someone in their early 20’s, but I have fond memories of clubbing at Club Firestone, having a cappuccino at YabYum, or celebrating with Irish footie fans during the World Cup matches. I also remember watching it lose that buzz through the 2000’s. ‘Buzz’ is an intangible, and sometimes fuelled by unsustainable hype, but it does matter. What happened?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Population Growth 2010-2017:

Orlando + 17.59 %

Atlanta   + 11.31%

As estimated by the US Census Bureau and reported via Wiki

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_metropolitan_statistical_areas

In fact, according to the Census Bureau, Orlando has been growing faster than any of the top 25 MSAs. That's why I have to chuckle when so many here keep predicting doom. The fact is, people want to be here and are proving it with their feet (or more importantly, their U-Hauls.)

We are again falling for the fallacy of percentages.  

It is much easier to increase percentages on smaller base numbers.  We've talked about this before.

In this case, Atlanta's base-number population is almost 3.5 million more people than Orlando's.  Of course our growth percentage is better.

No one has ever doubted that Orlando is growing.   I have spoken to many people who were enticed to move down here by Disney and the weather.  They thought their lives would be fairy tales.  Now they regret it.  It's more common than you probably think.

But you are right, a lot of people do move here. 

As pointed out, our collective futures are best demonstrated by new bundt-cake stores.  

Bundt cakes = Prosperity

39 minutes ago, I am Reality said:

It is much easier to increase percentages on smaller base numbers.  We've talked about this before.

In this case, Atlanta's base-number population is almost 3.5 million more people than Orlando's.  Of course our growth percentage is better.

No one has ever doubted that Orlando is growing.   I have spoken to many people who were enticed to move down here by Disney and the weather.  They thought their lives would be fairy tales.  Now they regret it.  It's more common than you probably think.

As pointed out, our collective futures are best demonstrated by new bundt-cake stores.  

Bundt cakes = Prosperity

By raw numbers, the only MSA below us that added more people then us is Austin, and I know we all agree Austin is killing it right now. By raw numbers, Orlando MSA is still top 10 in the nation for growth, since you don't like the percentages.

14 hours ago, I am Reality said:

Bundt cakes = Prosperity

And I’ve spoken to people that moved here for any variety of reasons and love it. Point is, I think the much larger fallacy than percentages (which is a pretty objective metric to use) is anecdotal stories that are “more common that you probably think.” There’s no real credible discernible way to measure the accuracy of that statement.

But facts are facts: Orlando is one of the fastest growing metro areas in the nation. Its MSA is relatively comparable to Tampa’s or Charlotte’s or Vegas’s or Nashville’s or Austin’s. I imagine you wouldn’t use the same percentage fallacy argument to describe those cities’ growth because they are some of the biggest boomtowns in America, so why use it for Orlando?

36 minutes ago, Uncommon said:

And I’ve spoken to people that moved here for any variety of reasons and love it. Point is, I think the much larger fallacy than percentages (which is a pretty objective metric to use) is anecdotal stories that are “more common that you probably think.” There’s no real credible discernible way to measure the accuracy of that statement.

But facts are facts: Orlando is one of the fastest growing metro areas in the nation. Its MSA is relatively comparable to Tampa’s or Charlotte’s or Vegas’s or Nashville’s or Austin’s. I imagine you wouldn’t use the same percentage fallacy argument to describe those cities’ growth because they are some of the biggest boomtowns in America, so why use it for Orlando?

This is really getting tedious.

My comments about percentages were purely mathematical.  Any city with a lower baseline population would have an easier time increasing its growth percentage than a city with a larger baseline population.  So yes, Nashville can increase its population. growth much easier than NYC.  Or Tampa compares to LA.

Having said that, I will agree for about the 4th or 5th time that Orlando is rapidly growing.  That is plenty obvious.  Aent said Orlando is a top 10 city based on raw population increase.  He seems like a smart guy.  I have no reason to not believe him. 

Anecdotally, I do know a lot of people unhappy here.  I know others concerned  about the quality of growth here.  (I am one myself).  I could personally care less how mush it's growing.  I am more concerned if the city provides economic opportunity ito inprove its large working class.  Other cities have become huge centers of wealth.  

Archived