Comparing Orlando...

orlandouprise

6 minutes ago, AmIReal said:

I just did a very cursory look, but by MSA it looks like in the top 25 Miami got 16, Duval 5, Brevard 2 and Sarasota and Orange 1... Tampa 0. Is that right? 

If so, I'd like to say congratulations to Orlando Science Middle High Charter. You guys rock and you set a great example for our other schools! I'd also commend The Miami area for their tremendous showing. Good job.

Agreed.  Miami and Jax are doing something right.  

During my own cursory look at the national rankings, I noticed Arizona and Texas killed it. They are both newer, Sunbelt economies.  We need to look at what they did (Arizona in particular)

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply
39 minutes ago, I am Reality said:

There seems to be a real problem with facts  on this website.

People just make things up to fit their narrative.

There are 762 high schools in FL.

You were only off my 3,500 schools or so.  (That is actually an improvement after the college rankings fiasco last week).

As a parent of a child going into high school next year, I would take no satisfaction if he went to the 96th best HS in FL.  I have never heard anyone say "we're #96".

I  would expect better.  And you should too if you have children.  I am shocked I am the only person disappointed by the rankings.  Is everyone else just okay with the schools?  (If so, shame).

I meant to say earlier that people will make lame excuses.  I'm late, but let me say...people will make lame excuses. 

Funny how there are ALWAYS alternative reasons, other than the most obvious reason.  Loser mentality.  

First of all, you never specified that you were talking solely about high schools. The number I posted is an accurate representation of the number of public schools at all grade levels, in Florida.

That having been said, your number is the one that's off. 

From Google:

211w1n7.png

But let's just for a moment pretend that your numbers aren't ridiculously off base. Even if there were only 762 high schools in Florida. Being 25th out of 762 is by no stretch of the imagination something to be ashamed of.

7 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

First of all, you never specified that you were talking solely about high schools. The number I posted is an accurate representation of the number of public schools at all grade levels, in Florida.

That having been said, your number is the one that's off. 

From Google:

211w1n7.png

But let's just for a moment pretend that your numbers aren't ridiculously off base. Even if there were only 762 high schools in Florida. Being 25th out of 762 is by no stretch of the imagination something to be ashamed of.

U.S. News & World Report ranked 762 Florida high schools.  As AmIReal indicated, the other schools did not qualify for the rankings.  I have not personally checked that, but I take his word.  That means, for instance, Lake Nona is #96 out of 762.  It is not #96 out of 2,344 or 4,200+ (like previously said).  

Based on a pure statistical luck-of-the-draw, the Orlando area should have 1 school in the top 5 or 6.  Certainly something in the top 10.   A few in the top 20. 

Our first school is #25, which is statistically difficult to achieve.  In other words, we are underperforming statistic probabilities.  By a lot. 

Luck of the draw does not have any thing to do with rankings based on statistics as is demonstrated by MIA scoring 16 in the top 25. I think there are 20 or so MSAs  in Florida, 5 scored in the top 25 including us. Does that look any better to you?

8 minutes ago, AmIReal said:

Statistically speaking no, Lake Nona is 96 of 2344. The denominator is number below the line whether ranked or not. These not ranked would all tie for the last place number.

Unranked schools are just that...unranked.  They are kicked out the study.  That is exactly what U.S News did....it ranked Lake Nona #96 of 762.  

And yes, we can compare the probability of a random event with actual statistics.   Imagine putting a card for each ranked high school in FL into a hat - and each card ONLY identifies the MSA for that school.

What are the odds that an "Orlando" card is pulled during any given drawing?   1 in 5?  1 in 10?  1 in 12? 

What are the odds that "Miami" cards are pulled 16 out of the first 25 drawings?   Super low. 

That tells me that Miami is over-performing in the top of the HS rankings by a ton.  Orlando is underperforming in the top of the rankings.  

1 hour ago, I am Reality said:

U.S. News & World Report ranked 762 Florida high schools.  As AmIReal indicated, the other schools did not qualify for the rankings.  I have not personally checked that, but I take his word.  That means, for instance, Lake Nona is #96 out of 762.  It is not #96 out of 2,344 or 4,200+ (like previously said).  

Based on a pure statistical luck-of-the-draw, the Orlando area should have 1 school in the top 5 or 6.  Certainly something in the top 10.   A few in the top 20. 

Our first school is #25, which is statistically difficult to achieve.  In other words, we are underperforming statistic probabilities.  By a lot. 

Your point is taken but mine should be as well. You conveniently ignored it in a quest to troll Orlando and have a poor outlook on reality. 

Miami and JAX are older than Orlando. In terms of JAX, the Dryfuss school is one of the best arts high schools in the country. Good for JAX. They've worked hard for that. In much less time, Osceola Arts has risen up to be ranked as a top arts school in the country as well and is on an upward trend. 

Hardly loser mentality.   In fact, I suspect that the people on this forum who you enjoy insulting and trolling are more invested in this community and care more about its success than you do. 

You can clutch to your USNews bible and tech surveys all day long if that makes you feel good; don't pretend it gives you a well rounded understanding of a metro area, though.

8 minutes ago, prahaboheme said:

Your point is taken but mine should be as well. You conveniently ignored it in a quest to troll Orlando and have a poor outlook on reality. 

Miami and JAX are older than Orlando. In terms of JAX, the Dryfuss school is one of the best arts high schools in the country. Good for JAX. They've worked hard for that. In much less time, Osceola Arts has risen up to be ranked as a top arts school in the country as well and is on an upward trend. 

Hardly loser mentality.   In fact, I suspect that the people on this forum who you enjoy insulting and trolling are more invested in this community and care more about its success than you do. 

You can clutch to your USNews bible and tech surveys all day long if that makes you feel good; don't pretend it gives you a well rounded understanding of a metro area, though.

I don't care what he says, having five high schools in the top 50 out of 762 is not bad. Not as bad as he's making it out to be anyway. 

Time to start looking for the ignore feature on this forum.

11 minutes ago, prahaboheme said:

Your joking, right? 

I don't have anything invested?

Let me say it a second time...my son is starting high school next year.

Don't think for a second I am making this issue up. 

Unranked schools are still part of the entire "class" and form the denominator. The rank of a school is the numerator. If they had called it "US News and World Report Ranking of Schools We Bothered to Rank", then yes, the denominator would be different. However, exclusion from the "class" does not mean those 1500some schools don't exist. They are all tied for 763. I didn't make the rules of math, so don't blame me for their bias.

BTW, and this is for everyone not just IAR, did anyone look at why the 1500some schools aren't ranked? Its in the methodology. Step 1 is based on inter-state expectations and performance and step 1, 2 and 3 are related to performance of historically underperforming societal categories- none of those steps have any thing to do with head to head performance.  I do want to  give US News credit for at least including performance measures in their analysis- unlike their beauty pageant college ranking.

38 minutes ago, I am Reality said:

Your joking, right? 

If you were a decent parent you'd quit your job, pack up your belongings, take your family and move to Miami.

Why don't you love your family enough to move them away from here to a better city? :cry:

54 minutes ago, I am Reality said:

Your joking, right? 

I can only ascertain from this response that you are invested in your son's education and how the high school he ends up at will impact his standing with getting into a university. That's fair, I suppose.

That said, I was kicking dirt and tapping cows in Kissimmee growing up and I ended up in Boston for undergrad and New Haven for post-grad education. 

The high school I went to didn't even make these rankings yet the connections I made there, the activities I participated in, and most importantly the investment my family placed in the local community probably gave me an advantage (not over my peers but those students who were at those top 25 ranked schools competing for limited slots). 

Again, it's perception over reality. I'm not making this up either. 

Cheers

7 hours ago, JFW657 said:

If you were a decent parent you'd quit your job, pack up your belongings, take your family and move to Miami.

Why don't you love your family enough to move them away from here to a better city? :cry:

I am glad you find great schools so trivial.

Please never have children.

As for me, my children have opportunities that most others won't.  Even so, I worry about other children that aren't as fortunate,  Don't lecture me on decency.  

31 minutes ago, HankStrong said:

I'm declaring Orlando the National Champion of Cities.  Best city ever.  There is no legit comparison in the world.  Number one with a bullet!

Thread closed.  Story's over.  Turn out the lights.  Elvis has left the building.  Good night.

Whenever we discuss real issues like jobs or education, Hank checks-out.

Perhaps he'd rather talk about the renaming of a big Ferris wheel.

Or maybe he can propose more alternative names for the Creative Village in our imaginary, fairy-tale world where UrbanPlanet users rename everything.

Keep being frivolous! 

9 hours ago, I am Reality said:

Your joking, right? 

You’ve admitted you’re not at all involved with the city. If education worries you so much, why don’t you do something about it? Join the PTA? Go to school board meetings? 

Anything?

No?

Just complain. Okay. 

6 minutes ago, bqknight said:

You’ve admitted you’re not at all involved with the city. If education worries you so much, why don’t you do something about it? Join the PTA? Go to school board meetings? 

Anything?

No?

Just complain. Okay. 

I am. And I do.

And I am taking a meeting at my son's high school next year in about an hour.

22 minutes ago, AmIReal said:

Be sure to make it clear that their pathetic showing in the US News list is not up to your standards. You need to set the tone right up front.

Just kidding. Remember honey vs vinegar.

:)

In all honesty, I see the rankings as having limited value.  They are instructive in general only. I think they accurately give a realistic overall picture.  But I don't know how U.S. News can distinguish the #100 school from the #120 school. (Of course. I didn't read the criteria).  

I am. And I do.

And I am taking a meeting at my son's high school next year in about an hour.

WOOOOOOOOOOO...... :o

A meeting??????? 

What a unique and clever idea!!!!

Talk about thinking outside the box!!!!

That'll fix everything!!!!

All our problems are solved, Florida!!!!

I am Reality is having a meeting at his son's school!!!

Who else but he could've thought of something so ingenious????

We're all just in such humble awe of you and your mighty awesomeness!!! :o

Yay for you!!!!! :yahoo:

:yawn:

:)

In all honesty, I see the rankings as having limited value.  They are instructive in general only. I think they accurately give a realistic overall picture.  But I don't know how U.S. News can distinguish the #100 school from the #120 school. (Of course. I didn't read the criteria).  

So IOW, all your previous obsessed ranting on the subject has just been a lot of hyperbolic trolling, right?

Got it.

3 hours ago, I am Reality said:

I am glad you find great schools so trivial.

Please never have children.

As for me, my children have opportunities that most others won't.  Even so, I worry about other children that aren't as fortunate,  Don't lecture me on decency.  

Let's hope they don't grow up to be arrogant, humorless, judgemental, self-important d-bags like someone else we know. :whistling:

44 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

WOOOOOOOOOOO...... :o

A meeting??????? 

What a unique and clever idea!!!!

Talk about thinking outside the box!!!!

That'll fix everything!!!!

All our problems are solved, Florida!!!!

I am Reality is having a meeting at his son's school!!!

Who else but he could've thought of something so ingenious????

We're all just in such humble awe of you and your mighty awesomeness!!! :o

Yay for you!!!!! :yahoo:

:yawn:

So IOW, all your previous obsessed ranting on the subject has just been a lot of hyperbolic trolling, right?

Got it.

You should be ashamed of yourself.  You are seriously giving me crap about a school meeting?

My son is a special-needs student. I made an appointment to arrange for accommodations for him next year. I really don't want the high school f'ing everything up like the crapty middle school did.  

IS THAT ALRIGHT WITH YOU?  

You are a horrible, horrible person.

I was asked a question and I gave an honest answer.  If you don't like the answer, too damn bad. 

I have know been relentlessly attacked for raising the issue of school quality in the area.  Fine...you win.  The schools here are amazing.  World-class.  Beyond belief.  Spectacular.  Where the hell did I even get off raising the issue?

Do me a favor.  Talk more about the f'ing Ferris wheel. 

Archived