bikeoid

The Dunean Area

Recommended Posts


Great article on what I believe is a often overlooked part of town.  Nice sidewalks, big yards, and wide streets in a grid.  The physical infrastructure is in pretty good shape too.  I have to believe that with the new development at the end of Smythe and the resurgence of Dunean, the Allen Ave/Green Ave coridor into downtown experiences a revival as well.  There is an old cotton warehouse at the intersection of Guess/Green right before the tracks that is ripe for something (anything).  Anyone have any insight into that?  It was annexed into the city a few years ago but caught fire.  I have to figure its the last "Mill" building in city limits that hasn't been renovated.

Overall, I think Dunean and Mills Mill are the next logical neighborhoods for resurgence.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Agreed - the Dunean area has always been special, right back to the days when the Dunean mill owner made sure the community was well taken care of.  It has carried forward to today's strong sense of community among its residents.  The village square hosts special events such as tree lighting / luminaries at Christmas.

The old cotton warehouse was planned to become The Elements West , but I haven't heard any further update.   The article says the warehouse has been on the National Register of Historic Places, so it shouldn't be torn down at least.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I saw some construction equipment at the Cotton warehouse on Green Ave today.  Does anyone have an idea if Elements West is back on track?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Base-360 is the GC.  Maybe they are finally starting Elements West.  Interesting timing to jump on board with a high end multi family development.  Let me know if anyone has any other information.  this is the same GC team as Gather GVL.  Looks like Dunean is really taking off with some recent sales in in the high $100ks/low $200k

IMG_5238.JPG

fullsizeoutput_2e49.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_2e4a.jpeg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am unfamiliar with “Elements West”. Links and/or further information?

Recent multifamily market analysis for the area must have read strong for all of these apartment projects that are being announced/moving forward. 

Edited by Jet-set

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is nothing going on at the site. A few months ago, the city was about to bring the owner to court for code violations, but I think the owner got another extension. Parts of the building are starting to collapse.

There is a sign for a development group called Base 360 up on site.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, transplant08 said:

There is nothing going on at the site. A few months ago, the city was about to bring the owner to court for code violations, but I think the owner got another extension. Parts of the building are starting to collapse.

There is a sign for a development group called Base 360 up on site.

What city? Dunean is unincorporated...not in Greenville city limits.  I wish city would pursue annexing it along with the other unincorporated areas surrounding it (Gantt, Welcome, Judson, San Souci, Wade Hampton, etc). Must not be financially appealing to do so.

Edited by cabelagent

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, cabelagent said:

What city? Dunean is unincorporated...not in Greenville city limits.  I wish city would pursue annexing it along with the other unincorporated areas surrounding it (Gantt, Welcome, Judson, San Souci, Wade Hampton, etc). Must not be financially appealing to do so.

this property is in the greenville city limits (806 green ave.).

 

This discussion shouldn't be in the Dunean thread

1 hour ago, Edgar said:

Base 360’s most recent post says they’ve started interior demolition:

https://instagram.com/p/BjKOWQ2gU6I/

Great news. I couldn't see it from Green Ave. Hope this project works out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Full Interior demolition  or just appeasing the city?  Their prior IG post said construction on Gather GVL starts July 1st. I doubt they have the wearwithall to run these projects in parallel, particularly with the amount of work 806 Green Ave needs. 

2 of those 3 images are from the 2014 article...does anyone know if the project is fully approved by the city/design review board etc?  Has the project come up recently in any city meetings?  After getting added to the national historic registery, annexing into the city, issued tax credits, and launching a marketing campaign/news article, it’s strikes me as odd that it sat untouched for 4-5 years while downtown underwent a massive multi family housing  boom.  

Agree that it’s not Dunean but I guess it is the Dunean ‘Area’ and it was quite fortuitous that construction equipment showed up 3 weeks after talking about it.  What area would Elements West be in? Mills Mill? 

Speaking of which, if this project is going to be high end apartments with a pool and a waterfall, that sure is ambitious for the area.  Maybe the rest of Mills Mill will annex in for the step up in city services/increased zoning density R-7.5 in the county to R-M1 in the city.  It’s probably property tax neutral.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, mcgyver54 said:

Full Interior demolition  or just appeasing the city?  Their prior IG post said construction on Gather GVL starts July 1st. I doubt they have the wearwithall to run these projects in parallel, particularly with the amount of work 806 Green Ave needs. 

2 of those 3 images are from the 2014 article...does anyone know if the project is fully approved by the city/design review board etc?  Has the project come up recently in any city meetings?  After getting added to the national historic registery, annexing into the city, issued tax credits, and launching a marketing campaign/news article, it’s strikes me as odd that it sat untouched for 4-5 years while downtown underwent a massive multi family housing  boom.  

Agree that it’s not Dunean but I guess it is the Dunean ‘Area’ and it was quite fortuitous that construction equipment showed up 3 weeks after talking about it.  What area would Elements West be in? Mills Mill? 

Speaking of which, if this project is going to be high end apartments with a pool and a waterfall, that sure is ambitious for the area.  Maybe the rest of Mills Mill will annex in for the step up in city services/increased zoning density R-7.5 in the county to R-M1 in the city.  It’s probably property tax neutral.  

I heard there was threat of legal action from city that sparked this recent round of activity.  I suspect they are just going to do the minimal amount to get it back up to code and then will sit on it again. Hope I'm wrong!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They are still out there chipping away but it looks like they are using the lowest cost rental equipment and just taking down what was all ready falling off. It’s a real shame as this could be a transformational project for that corridor. 

Maybe they will make it ‘Gather GVL West’ and drop some shipping containers back there....

BBB6966C-64FE-44FC-AB55-A5708BEC4D1F.jpeg

63B45690-B8C6-433B-BAC5-8C51698C618E.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

‘Elements West’ continues to make progress.  All the window openings are being cleared out. 

Sorry for the poor drive by photos but I didn’t have time to stop ang get anything better. 

7A29C79B-2869-44DD-83AD-004A532A984D.jpeg

 

Edited by mcgyver54

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, gman430 said:

Building permit issued for Elements West. 

Holy smokes, for $5.2m.  They aren't joking. Thought the demo was just for show to keep code inspector of their backs. Guess it is really going to happen.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Grading has begun.  Looks like this is really happening.  Where can you find information on what has been permitted? Are they moving forward with the pool that is shown in renderings? Ambitious.  Hopefully the surrounding neighborhood improves inline with this project’s progress - maybe even annex the whole area into the city. 

568F2BF5-0965-4D65-BAFF-955C42775A58.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.