Hampton Roads Off-Topic Talk

Cotuit

I've created this thread so that people from the Hampton Roads area who are members of UP, or Hampton Roaders (do you all call yourselves that?) who are lurking, can have a place to talk about things that may not fit into the urban theme of UP.

Feel free to discuss local sports, entertainment, favourite local hangouts, the weather.. whatever.

This is also a good place for newbies to drop in and introduce themselves without feeling the need to have something concrete to contribute to a specific thread.

I moderate this section, but as you can see, I'm not from the Hampton Roads area. If you need anything to help you settle in here at UP please feel free to leave a message in this thread or send me a PM.

Its nice to see the Hampton Roads area gaining some traction on UP. When i first came here there was barely anyone to talk to from the region, now people are popping out of the woodwork. Thanks for adding this forum, It was starting to get a bit cumbersome weeding through all the off topic stuff to find all the new develpment news.

Does anyone actually think that we will ever have a professional sports team?NBA? We actually have the money and the population to support it what is really holding this area back?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There is actually a pretty ruthless debate going on over on SSC about this very same subject. My personal thoughts, no, with the added disclaimer that never is a long time so i cannot say that we will never have a team. What i will see is its not likely within the next 20 years given our current political and social climate. With new councils and new attitudes i could be made to look like a liar, but i doubt it.

There is actually a pretty ruthless debate going on over on SSC about this very same subject. My personal thoughts, no, with the added disclaimer that never is a long time so i cannot say that we will never have a team. What i will see is its not likely within the next 20 years given our current political and social climate. With new councils and new attitudes i could be made to look like a liar, but i doubt it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

SSC?

SSC?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Lol. Sorry Skyscrapercity. Its a website like this where there are a couple of Hampton Roads forums. Also Skyscraperpage has a lot of development news from Norfolk and Virginia Beach in their Southern States forum, more than SSC. From now on if you see me (or anyone for that matter) talk about SSC or SSP its normally referring to those sites. I get so used to primarily posting on those sites that i use terms that people who do not go to those sites may not understand. My apologies.

Its nice to see the Hampton Roads area gaining some traction on UP. When i first came here there was barely anyone to talk to from the region, now people are popping out of the woodwork.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

UP has been gaining a lot of traction in various subforums of late. If we see more people from Hampton Roads and steady discussion, we could break it out into it's own subforum eventually. It's not there yet, soon. :thumbsup:

I've been thinking that now that Virginia has its own forum, we should consider breaking Virginia Beach and Norfolk out of the Hampton Roads major projects thread and creating a thread for each city (Norfolk development and Virginia Beach development respectively). The reasoning behind this is that the original thread is becoming quite large and unmanagable and people may be missing important parts because they don't wish to scroll through all 10 to 11 pages of info. I further propose reserving the Hampton Roads thread for projects that are in the Metro that don't necessarily have anything to do with Virginia Beach and Norfolk, thus increasing the profile of smaller regions in this area. Feedback anyone?

Edited by vdogg

I've been thinking that now that Virginia has its own forum, we should considered breaking Virginia Beach and Norfolk out of the Hampton Roads major projects thread and creating a thread for each city (Norfolk development and Virginia Beach development respectively).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's a great idea. Have at it!

• 2 weeks later...

Beach doesn't look at the whole picture. I haven't figured out why they will not join in on the light rail project. I think they think that "Norfolk Trash" will come to VaBeach and cause problems. So you tell me Va Beach doesn't think there sh.t don't stink. Their city council is idiots

Beach doesn't look at the whole picture. I haven't figured out why they will not join in on the light rail project. I think they think that "Norfolk Trash" will come to VaBeach and cause problems. So you tell me Va Beach doesn't think there sh.t don't stink. Their city council is idiots

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't necessarily think Va. Beach is worried about "Norfolk Trash" per se. I think the cities concern is more on the level of wanting to do things their way and not wanting to be subjugated to another municipality. There are actually parts in the Va. Beach master plan that call for preserving right of ways for transit in the future. Perhaps they decided that now is not the right time. While i agree that that was the wrong decision to make, i think the differences between Norfolk and Va. Beach go a bit deeper than the surface level. That being said, i think this new emphasis on urbanization will eventually tilt the area towards wanting a viable transit solution.

Wow, they actually said this? When was that?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I can't remember but i remember reading it on hamptonroads.com and i think they said something about the comment on the news as well.THey didn't actually say trash but they hinted at the word trash.

Edited by rusthebuss