Hampton Roads Off-Topic Talk

Cotuit

That's real nice and now Vabeach has their own bad element they have to worry about. They are idiots

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

First of all, to generalize like that is stupid.  You dont even know the context it was stated in or what it was referring to.  The fact is, norfolk is more urbanized so it has the capacity for more lower income people which would be unfavorable and would stand out more in a suburban area which could not handle the type of situations it could potentially cause.  I have not seen the quote, but until the context it was stated in is revealed, dont generalize or make assumptions on the beach's character.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Play nice guys <_< . There seems to be an overiding concensus that this statement has been made in the past. That being said you can't overgeneralize and assume that the people of Va. Beach felt this way as well. I know that i didn't and i can think of plenty of times where the beach has spoken but they haven't necessarily been speaking for me.

I'm not referring to people in general but the city council. But I've told people from the beach that i grew up in Norfolk and they stick there nose up at me. Before i told them where i was from they where fine. This just wasn't one time either, it happens all the time. I grew up here and have dealt with this most of my life. Most people in here didn't grow up here and have not dealt with that. The cops have the same attitude.

Suffolk grew 4.3 percent from July 1, 2003, to July 1, 2004.

But numbers don't tell the whole story, so stick a big asterisk next to Manassas Park.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Of course the numbers don't tell the whole story or Suffolk would not be the fastest growing anything... In sheer numbers, Suffolk is not gaining that many people. And considering Suffolk a "city" is a stretch, how many people live there, 60K? Until they hit 100K I think that they should be called "independant towns" :thumbsup:

Thanks for congratulating sprawl, Virginian-Pilot!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually, The City of Suffolk has tried to limited most of its growth to the Northern Part of the city which is very close to Portsmouth and Western Branch, redevelop their downtown and limit sprawl in the Southern parts.

Of course the numbers don't tell the whole story or Suffolk would not be the fastest growing anything...  In sheer numbers, Suffolk is not gaining that many people.  And considering Suffolk a "city" is a stretch, how many people live there, 60K?  Until they hit 100K I think that they should be called "independant towns"  :thumbsup:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Somewhere in that article they mentioned some number like 76 or 78,000, which is a huge jump considering when I moved back to VA in 2000 it was less than York County (where I live). I agree that 100,000 should be a cut off point, but give Suffolk a little more time---it's getting there VERY quickly. And by sheer numbers, only Virginia Beach and Chesapeake pulled numbers anywhere near to Suffolk in the HR area, so not bad for a city created in the 70s!

Somewhere in that article they mentioned some number like 76 or 78,000, which is a huge jump considering when I moved back to VA in 2000 it was less than York County (where I live).  I agree that 100,000 should be a cut off point, but give Suffolk a little more time---it's getting there VERY quickly.  And by sheer numbers, only Virginia Beach and Chesapeake pulled numbers anywhere near to Suffolk in the HR area, so not bad for a city created in the 70s!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Suffolk is an old city... ever been to its downtown? This whole nonsense about the cities here being "so young" is a little matter of wording. So what if Nansemond County changed its name to Suffolk City in the 1960's. Suffolk is still historic. Same for Chesapeake, it has South Norfolk which is as old as many areas in Norfolk and Portsmouth. Norfolk was tiny until it annexed tons of places in the past 100 years. 100 years ago, Norfolk ended at Ghent.

I love Suffolk's downtown, it is definitally historic. On the other hand dont get me started on chesapeake and south norfolk. I personally think South Norfolk should of become its own city when it had a chance (before norfolk incorporated some of its land).

During the depression, South Norfolk was the only town not affected by the great depression. Then Norfolk took a chunk of is land in the late fifties and what was left of South Norfolk decided to merge with Norfolk County (now called Chesapeake). Norfolk County in turned killed South Norfolk by locating all its public builds as far away from it and left South Norfolk to rot and become a ghetto, only now have they made any small efforts to rebuild South Norfolk. This is one of the root reasons why I have such strong hatred for Chesapeake.

I think it does, it makes people want to come and enjoy the city. A city needs a little bit of personality or soul if you will. For example, take New Orleans, that city has soul and people are very dedicated to that city. Another, take Miami, it has soul and lots of people want to go there. Its sorta like a person, some people have that gift of "soul" and people want to come see them and hang around them and spend alot of time with them. Thats what we need in our city............ But we need our own "soul" not biting someone elses. That is what we need to find and then exploit it to the country to bring others here for business.

but guyyyys Charlotte doesn't have soul :)  I think Norfolk/Hampton Roads in general should become/already is unique. It shouldn't have to follow other cities.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Why doesn't Charlotte have soul?????? Looks like Richmond stole some of San Antonios soul by copying their river walk and making the canal walk. Come on you just where talking about me with the Richmond thing and you say something bad about our brothers in the south.

Why doesn't Charlotte have soul?????? Looks like Richmond stole some of San Antonios soul by copying their river walk and making the canal walk. Come on you just where talking about me with the Richmond thing and you say something bad about our brothers in the south.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually I kind of agree that Charlotte doesn't have much "soul." It's a very plastic city where hardly anything seems to predate 1980. I haven't been there in several years but I got the feeling there isn't much in the way of vibrant, interesting urban neighborhoods there, and I think that's an area in which certainly Richmond and maybe Norfolk have Charlotte beat.