Hampton Roads Off-Topic Talk

Cotuit

A classic example is Cornerstone, the development that bought that huge mobile home park only to not include affordable housing in its new proposals because 'he didn't have to' or something of that nature.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That guy really p**sed me off. I didn't like that little maneuver of his because you just shouldn't do that to people. Most of them literally had no where else to go and no chance of obtaining a place in Va. Beach due to their poor credit :angry: .

Agreed. But with the high prices already driving the market it would seem to me that others would want to jump on the 'high priced' living spaces. A classic example is Cornerstone, the development that bought that huge mobile home park only to not include affordable housing in its new proposals because 'he didn't have to' or something of that nature. But wait and see and is the name of the game.  :rolleyes:  :whistling:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah... I really hope that Cornerstone remains affordable. We're catching up to NOVA which is rather frightening IMO. Virginia Beach isn't neccessarily overpriced---you get what you pay for---but some of it is rather excessive. I'm glad that Cornerstone is supposed to keep its units at a decent size yet under $400K.

That guy really p**sed me off. I didn't like that little maneuver of his because you just shouldn't do that to people. Most of them literally had no where else to go and no chance of obtaining a place in Va. Beach due to their poor credit  :angry: .

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I understand that... It's really sad that people can no longer afford to live where it's safe... in nice cities with amenities as fairly reasonable prices. It's even sadder (if that's a word) that someone else would've inevitably come along at a future point in time... <_< I think that if a community like that is going to be razed, the city should adequately compensate those people. That doesn't mean give them the worth of their homes---give them more. $60,000 for a mobile home won't buy crap anywhere in HR except in places where NO ONE would want to live.

^ did they even get 60k? most of these mobile homes were very old from what I could tell.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Probably not---I just threw a number out there... I doubt. If I had any say, I'd give them roughly $220,000 (price of small-medium sized home in a subdivision). Or offer to pay them monthy allowances for a year to get them back on their feet. SOMETHING more than "here's a few grand... good luck and good riddance".

I understand that...  It's really sad that people can no longer afford to live where it's safe... in nice cities with amenities as fairly reasonable prices.  It's even sadder (if that's a word) that someone else would've inevitably come along at a future point in time...  <_<  I think that if a community like that is going to be razed, the city should adequately compensate those people.  That doesn't mean give them the worth of their homes---give them more.  $60,000 for a mobile home won't buy crap anywhere in HR except in places where NO ONE would want to live.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes it is sad. I understand the need to redevelop that area but i wish they would do more for the families they displace. The ONLY sore point i have with all the development in Va. Beach is the seeming lack of caring for what happens to those less fortunate. But anyway, i am way off topic here and this is the Granby Tower thread so i'm gonna end my little rant for now. :D

A classic example is Cornerstone, the development that bought that huge mobile home park only to not include affordable housing in its new proposals because 'he didn't have to' or something of that nature. But wait and see and is the name of the game.  :rolleyes:  :whistling:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Developers are in the game for money, plain and simple. I think that many projetcs in NoVa have to have a certain % of "set-aside" housing or they will not get approved. It is not the developer's fault that the city basically rubber-stamped his proposal and helped evict the people out of there.

This is why cities are supposed to have councils that act in their favor and pass laws to protect citizens. VA Beach could pass an ordinance for affordable housing in new developments but... that might mean that the developers might stop throwing cash at council members.

VA Beach has been trying to get rid of the "eyesores" of trailer parks at every turn. They wanted to build the new VB MS on top of the Colony Point park for no logical reason.

And by the way, all that the people there got was less than $1,500. Most got zilch. But that is OK with VA Beach because someone is gonna have to fill up the run down hotels at the Oceanfront (like MacThrift, etc.) in the off season.

I posted a message here--->wvec forum with our forums url in my sig. There seem to be some people in there who are mildly interested in HR so hopefully a few will click the link and come on over here. :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

hey great idea. I didn't even realize they had forums on such websites.

Vdogg, your thread re: HR Projects Listings. It's astounding and very exciting.

If Richmond were to kick in as many tax dollars as, apparently, Norfolk is doing toward redevelopment, our RCW constituents would be screaming bloody murder and inventing new names and invectives for those promoting it. Good luck! :)

Vdogg, your thread re: HR Projects Listings.  It's astounding and very exciting.

If Richmond were to kick in as many tax dollars as, apparently, Norfolk is doing toward redevelopment, our RCW constituents would be screaming bloody murder and inventing new names and invectives for those promoting it.  Good luck!      :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Whats even more exciting is that is only a 1/5 of the projects in this area. There are so many i have to do a little at a time. Each of the 7 cities will have their projects listed in that thread. It is meant to be a synopsis of everything that is going on in the region. When i am finished i am going to put a link to each projects respective thread. For example, where you see Westin at towncenter I will put a little caption next to it that says "Discuss this project here". When you click on that caption you will be immediately brought to it's thread. This should make it easier for people looking for info on a specific project to navigate the forum.

Edit: I just updated the thread with some more projects so go and take a look :)

Vdogg, your thread re: HR Projects Listings.  It's astounding and very exciting.

If Richmond were to kick in as many tax dollars as, apparently, Norfolk is doing toward redevelopment, our RCW constituents would be screaming bloody murder and inventing new names and invectives for those promoting it.  Good luck!      :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Believe it or not the only 2 projects receiving any type of public incentive is the Trader Tower (Parking garage built for them and governors grant) and The Hilton (city will build the conference center) Everything else (with the exception of NSU/ODU projects) is being done with private money (though i'm not sure about the cruise terminal, i'll have to check on that). It should tell you how intense the interest is in downtown Norfolk.

Now sure, Norfolk is spending a lot of money bulldozing blighted/rundown areas but that is what a city government is supposed to do. If they're not there for the upkeep and maintenance of the city then why have city government? I've been to RCW and i've noticed the attitude that you're referring to. It surprises me sometimes how negative it is towards development but then again Richmond is already very developed and that might account for some of that.

The cruise ship terminal will be owned by the city. It will technically be part of Nauticus. The city is paying the 36 million or someone had 41 million for it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ok, thats what i though. So that would be 3 projects total but since Naticus is already owned by the city it makes sense that the cruise terminal would have city participation as well.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's kind of a nasty and bitter comment considering Richmond has been "pouring money" into tons of redevelopment and also in the form of tax credits. I don't think VCU and all those projects downtown are able to do it at full price.

That's kind of a nasty and bitter comment considering Richmond has been "pouring money" into tons of redevelopment and also in the form of tax credits.  I don't think VCU and all those projects downtown are able to do it at full price.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't think he meant anything by it. There are a lot of anti-development types over on RCW and i think it was more a reference to them.

If any of you guys and gals think Virginia should be home to the Nascar Hall of Fame, please go to

SkyscraperCity Forums, scroll down to Local Forums, then hit Southeast. There you will see Poll: Pick your Nascar Hall of Fame Favorite, and please vote for Richmond.

:)

Edited by burt

I have upon occasion noticed where the Pilot does not report breaking news on construction projects but really the Pilot FAILED the public by not publishing anything on the Cancer Relay for Life. According to the editorial there were 830 teams and 11k participants. When you add guests and family you have over 35k people that raised 3 million dollars for cancer research. The community really outdid themselves and yet the 'community' newspaper didn't even have an article on this (at least that I saw). :(

Edited by guynvb

I have upon occasion noticed where the Pilot does not report breaking news on construction projects but really the Pilot FAILED the public by not publishing anything on the Cancer Relay for Life. According to the editorial there were 830 teams and 11k participants. When you add guests and family you have over 35k people that raised 3 million dollars for cancer research. The community really outdid themselves and yet the 'community' newspaper didn't even have an article on this (at least that I saw). :(

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My God, i wish i had known about this. I'm a runner and i would have participated had i have known. Yeah, i really think they let the public down on this one. They seem to be having a slump in quality as of late.

Man, the lurkers are out in force today. At one point we had 20 people browsing this forum of which only 3 were members. No surprise here but the Westin and Granby threads accounted for 90% of this increased activity. Again i extend the invitation to all those browsing the forum to go ahead and sign up and introduce yourselves. :)

I too noticed all the lurkers! I bet the Granby is making waves everywhere. Honestly, this is one 'big city' project and any city of any size would be most proud to have a tower such as this. Way to go Norfolk!!!! :alc:

Edited by guynvb

1000 posts! Woohoo! Ok, moment over  :D .

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Just to give you a feeling of how busy it's been this week, I signed up september of last year. It took me 9 months to make 1000. I'm almost 250 into my next 1000 and it's been 9 days! :lol: