Hampton Roads Off-Topic Talk

Cotuit

That's actually very doubtful.  Norfolk has three factors working against them.  1. Charlotte's skyline already has 12 buildings over 100 meters, Norfolk has yet to have 1 (Grandby will be the first)... edit* excuse me Dominion Tower is 104m tall.  Grandby will be the second.  2. Charlotte's economy and population are in a boom... over a 10% increase in metro population in just four years... while the Hampton Roads grew at 4.3% in that time.  So while Norfolk picks up a couple of nice skyscrapers over the next couple of years Charlotte will too  3.  Because the Hampton Roads is made up of multiple cities there are multiple downtowns which deter from one centralized skyline.  A good example of this is the Town Center in Virginia Beach.  If that wasn't there maybe Westin would go to Norfolk, I don't know.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

HR and Charlotte are very similar in terms of population (HR ahead) and per capita income (Charlotte slightly ahead). Reason #3 has the biggest impact since the wealth is split between cities. VB has already leverged its assests with Pavilion Redux and TC, and Norfolk has basically put everything up to finance MacArthur Center. Both cities are reaping or will reap money from these investments. One reason has been forgotten in this sports race: big business. Norfolk has NS at #286 on the F500 list. Smithfield is at #222. Dollar Tree in Cpeake is poised to crack the list in the next year or two (#546). And VB's Amerigroup is all the way down at #807. Most F500 companies in Virginia are either in Richmond or NoVa. The only F100 company (MCI at #90) is being bought by Verizon. Charlotte alone has 3 F100 companies (BofA, Wachovia, Duke Energy) along with a couple smaller F500 companies. Pro sports is about big business and Charlotte has that.

I agree with that and I always thought the TC project was very stupid and always wished that we had one big skyline. The birth of the 7 cities was the death of a big DT.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Don't worry, Norfolk has the DT. VB has the uptown.

I've been saying that for a long time now that the key to our success is that we bring in more f500 companies to the area. The one problem is that how do we get them to come and I think that we are doing it now with all the development and making it more presentable for people to want to relocate to this area. I guess we will see in the next 10-20 years if this formula is working for us. The main key is that the cities need to be unified in this matter which I don't know if this will ever happen.

It's all about corporate incenitves (i.e. huge tax breaks). In the past, this state has shown its willingness to put up the money to lure a company...to either Richmond or NoVa. HR needs more political clout, not just attractive cities and downtowns, to get Richmond to send something down I-64.

It's all about corporate incenitves (i.e. huge tax breaks).  In the past, this state has shown its willingness to put up the money to lure a company...to either Richmond or NoVa.  HR needs more political clout, not just attractive cities and downtowns, to get Richmond to send something down I-64.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I've said that too but people from Richmond get so sensitive about it like I'm attacking them. We are the red headed step child of the state. They love taking our tax dollars and hate to put it back in the region. They really push for the corporations to come to Richmond or Nova. I've never seen anyone push for a company to plant their feet in Hampton Roads, and the ones here came here because they wanted too.

I've said that too but people from Richmond get so sensitive about it like I'm attacking them. We are the red headed step child of the state. They love taking our tax dollars and hate to put it back in the region. They really push for the corporations to come to Richmond or Nova. I've never seen anyone push for a company to plant their feet in Hampton Roads, and the ones here came here because they wanted too.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Unless it's a warehouse or call center. The Virginia tax structure is designed so that HR, NoVa, and Richmond put in more money than they get out, and the rest of state gets more money than they put in. The rich help the poor, although I wouldn't say Cville and Roanoke are hurting for tax dollars. The weird thing is Richmond gets more than it puts in while HR and NoVa get stuck with the bill (their percentage of tax dollar return is about the same).

I realize we are off topic but here is my feel on this subject speaking only of VB. We have spent thousands of dollars for tourists for hotels, parking garages and TC as such. We now have some really nice places and TC is still being developed which will cater to people with higher incomes. Why not shift our spending from all of this to luring companies to our area as Russ said. It is not like we don't have much to offer. We are 3.5 hours from DC and we are located on the eastern seaboard which has all seasons. The Outer Banks is just a short drive away as well. Norfolk is right here for those urbanites who may wish to live in an more urban environment yet could work in VB. Cmon VB, wake up and do what is right. Keep the talented and smart people here and let's move away from the #2 Brain Drain (only behind Pittsburgh). Let's build a great city with good paying jobs for all to benefit.

Ok, off my soapbox now.

I realize we are off topic but here is my feel on this subject speaking only of VB. We have spent thousands of dollars for tourists for hotels, parking garages and TC as such. We now have some really nice places and TC is still being developed which will cater to people with higher incomes. Why not shift our spending from all of this to luring companies to our area as Russ said. It is not like we don't have much to offer. We are 3.5 hours from DC and we are located on the eastern seaboard which has all seasons. The Outer Banks is just a short drive away as well. Norfolk is right here for those urbanites who may wish to live in an more urban environment yet could work in VB. Cmon VB, wake up and do what is right. Keep the talented and smart people here and let's move away from the #2 Brain Drain (only behind Pittsburgh). Let's build a great city with good paying jobs for all to benefit.

Ok, off my soapbox now.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Couldn't have said it better. It's not just VB its the whole area. This is really where we all should unite to bring it home but that is where we fall short. I hope they come to Norfolk but if they just come to the area I would be happy!!!

VB ponied up the money to keep Amerigroup here and help Stihl expand. Norfolk ponied up the money to keep NS from moving to Philly. Cpeake, NN, and Hampton have all tossed economic incentives at companies to lure them or help them grow. Whether it's free land like at Corporate Landing, no business taxes for a length of time like Amerigroup, or a new garage like for NS; HR cities go after companies. Like all cities, they make sure the incentives are more than compensated by long-term tax benefits. It may be nice to land a heavy-hitter, but if the cost-benefit doesn't add up, then it's not worth it.

Off topic is probably more like it. We were talking about the need for higher paying jobs in the area and the amount of work the cities do to draw them here.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

But we were discussing the fact that higher paying jobs are what gets the cities the teams as well.

But we were discussing the fact that higher paying jobs are what gets the cities the teams as well.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

At the very beginning yes, but none of the last 10-15 post had anything to do with sports in Norfolk. Sorry, but i need to keep these threads somewhat geared toward the discussion at hand.

moved

what are the odds that we might land another F500 in our region???

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

With all these new development announcements and the Banks swarming downtown I'll definately say that our chances have improved significantly.

Yes, we have a lot of positives going on for us right now. Just to name a few:

1. The whole area is undergoing a housing boom.

2. Being listed in Forbes magazine as of the top ten places to do business.

3. People are taking notice what is going on here from all across the country, especially developers.

Edited by guynvb

I hope that some office buildings are built on the DT plaza area!!!!!! I hope it is a fortune 500 company or something. I think something big is coming to the DT plaza area. Maybe something taller than anything else in the state.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

umm, do you know something we don't Russ? LOL