Hampton Roads Off-Topic Talk

Cotuit

Isn't the city just trying to find the best use for this property at present?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes. But one does have to wonder if thats the case, then where are they gonna put these several developments that have yet to be announced? There really is not that much room left downtown without tearing something down.

239885-John_Hancock_Center-Chicago.jpg

On another note, I was noticing in this week's tv guide that tomorrow at 9pm on the History Channel, Modern Marvels will present a new episode on the John Hancock Center. It will tell the story behind this vertical city within a city in downtown Chicago. The building contains stores, apartments for 1200 people and the world's highest swimming pool.

Edited by guynvb

239885-John_Hancock_Center-Chicago.jpg

On another note, I was noticing in this week's tv guide that tomorrow at 9pm on the History Channel, Modern Marvels will present a new episode on the John Hancock Center. It will tell the story behind this vertical city within a city in downtown Chicago. The building contains stores, apartments for 1200 people and the world's highest swimming pool.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I remember when i was younger and my mother took me to the top of that tower to watch the fireworks on New Years Eve. The show was being done from the water a block or two away. When the fireworks went off the whole building would shake. It was awe inspiring to say the least. My first trip to Chicago was when i first fell in love with skyscrapers.

This is WAY off topic but anyone have any ideas why my laptop battery won't last long? I don't use the laptop that much but I have charged it up a few times and lately it only lasts maybe 1.5 hours or so. It used to last 3 hours when it was newer. Do these batteries lose the ability to hold a longer charge over time? The laptop is prolly 3 yrs old now - Compaq Presario 3100.

This is WAY off topic but anyone have any ideas why my laptop battery won't last long? I don't use the laptop that much but I have charged it up a few times and lately it only lasts maybe 1.5 hours or so. It used to last 3 hours when it was newer. Do these batteries lose the ability to hold a longer charge over time? The laptop is prolly 3 yrs old now - Compaq Presario 3100.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sounds to me like you just got a bad battery. If you have any type of warranty on it you may need to get it replaced, otherwise you'll just have to buy a new one.

I was reading that lithium batteries (not sure if laptops use them) actually do lose the ability to hold long charges after a few years. Like on the cell phones they advise to let the battery go dead every 30 days then fully recharge. But on the same hand they advise to keep plugged up otherwise.

The laptop is prolly 3 yrs old now - Compaq Presario 3100.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually i didn't see this comment before i posted. It may be about time to get a new one, though i don't have much experience with laptops. I recently got a battery for my moms laptop that was as about as old as yours so it may just be time to replace it.

Maybe so. Batteries are expensive though and I don't use it all that much. I have a wireless modem upstairs on my computer and a wireless card for the laptop and mainly use it downstairs or when traveling. I might just wait on the battery unless I can get a cheap one somewhere.

Maybe so. Batteries are expensive though and I don't use it all that much. I have a wireless modem upstairs on my computer and a wireless card for the laptop and mainly use it downstairs or when traveling. I might just wait on the battery unless I can get a cheap one somewhere.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, all batteries lose their ability to hold a charge over time. Even a rechargeable one, even if it's not in use much.

Manhole Covers Exploding In Downtown Norfolk

June 9, 2005, 03:47 PM Email to a Friend Printer Friendly Version

Site Features

Manhole Explosion In Norfolk

A close call for a Norfolk woman who nearly walked right into what could have been a deadly manhole explosion.

The man hole cover blew straight into the air at the corner of Brambleton and Boush streets. The explosion even temporarily knocked out power to more than 14,00 customers.

Dominion Power says it's likely a faulty underground cable created a force that combined with natural ocurring gas shot the cover into the air.

It's a force that came within twenty feet of Lindsay Haun, who was on her way to her car when the explosion happened.

web link

norfolkharborfest.jpg

This is a great picture from today's paper - With the wind captured in its mighty sails, the schooner Virginia arrives at Norfolk's Waterside district for the 29th annual Harborfest celebration. Anyone heading that way over the weekend? B)

Edited by guynvb

Anyone go to harborfest this weekend in DT Norfolk. Man it was great and I got to see the Va Schooner. I love Norfolk and the festivals they have dt. I need to go to the OV things on the beach they have just about every weekend and i live right around the corner form it too!

Anyone go to harborfest this weekend in DT Norfolk. Man it was great and I got to see the Va Schooner. I love Norfolk and the festivals they have dt. I need to go to the OV things on the beach they have just about every weekend and i live right around the corner form it too!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I was there in the morning. It was really neat having that cruise ship docked there.

norfolkharborfest.jpg

This is a great picture from today's paper - With the wind captured in its mighty sails, the schooner Virginia arrives at Norfolk's Waterside district for the 29th annual Harborfest celebration. Anyone heading that way over the weekend?  B)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The SunTrust building looks like it's about to fall over.

Well at least we can be well known for one thing, The Leaning Tower of Sun Trust. :lol:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

LOL :rofl: I really like that building. It added a new coloration for the buildings dt. I love how all the buildings dt don't have a uniform look to them and different architecture to them.

Edited by rusthebuss

Norfolk is favored for $30 million recreation center

http://home.hamptonroads.com/stories/story...7729&ran=164594

I had no idea this was in the works. This is going to be like a large project, just from reading the details. I wonder where this facility could go? Downtown possibly? Looking forward to tomorrow's Pilot to get more details.

Edited by Seven Cities

Norfolk is favored for $30 million recreation center

http://home.hamptonroads.com/stories/story...7729&ran=164594

I had no idea this was in the works.  This is going to be like a large project, just from reading the details.  I wonder where this facility could go?  Downtown possibly?  Looking forward to tomorrow's Pilot to get more details.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Based on previous reports, I am pretty certain that if this becomes a reality it will be because Norfolk effectively sold the benefit of having it be a significant piece of the Broad Creek redevelopment project, now underway and site of the next Homearama.

Chesapeake Pirate

The new article is out now. Take a look here. Looks like it will be in Broad Creek as stated.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's unfortunate how all the cities had to compete against eachother for this one. A project like this can benefit the metro area as a whole, not just one city.