Hampton Roads Off-Topic Talk

Cotuit

At the time of this post, I was the only member on while 5, yes 5 guests were browsing. I've never seen that many before. Come on people, JOIN!! :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I've got you beat. One time I was the only member on with 15 guest browsing (close to the pilot article). I was like wtf? :angry:

What amazes me is that our region makes the charts on so many different planes yet we lag in income and are almost at the bottom when comparing with neighboring areas of our size. We seem to have the talent to get things done but I don't believe the corporate world takes us too seriously. I am all but convinced it is b/c of the large military build up here.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

We make every list that comes out, you'd think we'd be doing better by now.

What amazes me is that our region makes the charts on so many different planes yet we lag in income and are almost at the bottom when comparing with neighboring areas of our size. We seem to have the talent to get things done but I don't believe the corporate world takes us too seriously. I am all but convinced it is b/c of the large military build up here.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This is why I think Oceana closing might be a blessing in disguise. Now the city has to market itself beyond the military now! I really hope they turn it into a bio park and they need to get light rail through the city of Vabeach too and dump that BRT crap!

I'm doing a few format changes so let me know what you guys think. As more of these projects break ground or get ready to break ground I am going to shift focus to construction progress and let the development threads fend for themselves. This way if there is a new development the development thread will rise to the top instead of pretty much already being there. I have pinned the progress threads so that people can have a quick look at how the projects are coming along instead of having to weed through 3 pages of threads. I figured i'd try this, and if you guys don't like it i'll go back to the old format. I should have a portion of HR projects listing v2.0 up in about 2 weeks. I'm trying to strip it down a bit so I can concentrate most of the info and pics in their respective project threads.

I think I understand what you are saying and as someone who likes to contribute pics occasionally, I like the idea of having the construction or progress pics in a seperate thread or at least pinned or such. That way they can be accessed quickly and they don't get 'lost' under tons of postings. A good idea imo. :thumbsup:

Edited by guynvb

The projects listing thread was the best thing for this board so far. It helps out with new users tremendously. However, I think vdogg should consider how many project threads you are creating as they almost outnumber the normal threads now. When you add more projects, the whole board is going to be pinned things, and maybe that is not such a bad idea but IMO, it is starting to get cumbersome. I wouldn't know how to fix it though, LOL.

The projects listing thread was the best thing for this board so far. It helps out with new users tremendously. However, I think vdogg should consider how many project threads you are creating as they almost outnumber the normal threads now. When you add more projects, the whole board is going to be pinned things, and maybe that is not such a bad idea but IMO, it is starting to get cumbersome. I wouldn't know how to fix it though, LOL.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I wonder if there is a way to pin things.. or another idea is to add sub-threads under each heading and there the pictures could be posted. In example, say you click on the Westin Inn thread. There are you will find 2 threads - one on discussion and the other being the pics.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Basically what I did is I pinned the progress threads and unpinned the development threads. I also merged what topics I could to try and keep the number of pinned topics to a minimum. Streamlining the projects thread will help some with usability in that I still

have not posted direct links from that thread to each projects discussion thread. It's something I'm working on but subject to change. Guynvb had the right idea of where i'm trying to go with this, we'll see if it works.

I wonder if there is a way to pin things.. or another idea is to add sub-threads  under each heading and there the pictures could be posted. In example, say you click on the Westin Inn thread. There are you will find 2 threads - one on discussion and the other being the pics.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That is a great idea but i don't think invision power board has that feature. I'll have to check with monsoon. If it does have that feature I will most certainly use it :) . So far as I know though we can only create subforums, not subthreads.

From concept to completion: the shaping of a restaurant

Good article about a start-up local restuarant that started in Domion Tower, Norfolk. It was supposed to go to the Va. Beach Town Center, but came to Dominion Tower instead.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This is cool and this is what we need more of! Orginial restaurants in the area. :thumbsup:

After being out of town for nearly 10 days (and having no real desire to read through at least a few hundred replies on here) are there any big things that I missed while gone?

And in other news, Granby Tower had an add in the Daily Press today and it made me smile lol.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

-This is where we're at on the Granby Tower issue. Courthouse debate headed south <_<

-Groundbreaking for the Westin has been announced for next month (38 stories-36 occupied floors and 2 mechanical)

-11 story mixed use development announced for Norfolk

-Harbors Edge is on its 10th floor

-There will be 40 condos on top of the Hilton with a 100,000 sq ft conference center. Supposed to be an announcement 2 weeks ago but was delayed. Possibly one this week.

-HH construction, demolition, and pile driving has finally started again.

That's all I can think of for now.

-This is where we're at on the Granby Tower issue. Courthouse debate headed south <_<

-Groundbreaking for the Westin has been announced for next month (38 stories-36 occupied floors and 2 mechanical)

-11 story mixed use development announced for Norfolk

-Harbors Edge is on its 10th floor

-There will be 40 condos on top of the Hilton with a 100,000 sq ft conference center. Supposed to be an announcement 2 weeks ago but was delayed. Possibly one this week.

-HH construction, demolition, and pile driving has finally started again.

That's all I can think of for now.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks much Vdogg :) It's really good to hear about Hilton and DEAR GOD I hope they release specifics finally next week, but I'm not totally counting on it.

Also great to hear that Westin will, in fact, be 38 stories. Just 2 days ago I was in Rosslyn and shoot, they don't have jank on us. That's right. They don't have jank.. Ya'heard.

Me and vdogg were wondering where you were at. You should know that more and likely Oceana is going to be closed because of the ridiculous altimatium that the BRAC gave us.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oyyy, all the news in Washington was covered with BRAC nonsense and Katrina. Oy indeed. All they really talked about was the AFB in South Dakota though (Elmsworth I think?) and Cannon (I think? Lol. Not good with names outside this area). It was depressing. Idk... we'll see what happens now...