Hampton Roads Off-Topic Talk

Cotuit

Just to let you know that this area has alot of close ties to New York and Philadelphia. Alot of people here have relatives in New York that live here and vice versa. I can gaurantee you that a majority of New yorkers know Norfolk and I can tell you from expereince that Philadelphian's know Norfolk being that every time I visit Philly and travel down to South Philly at the Italian Market people comment on the fact that I'm from Norfolk because of the Tides hat that I'm wearing. Don't give me the bull that people don't know this area. That's just crap.

Just to let you know that this area has alot of close ties to New York and Philadelphia.  Alot of people here have relatives in New York that live here and vice versa.  I can gaurantee you that a majority of New yorkers know Norfolk and I can tell you from expereince that Philadelphian's know Norfolk being that every time I visit Philly and travel down to South Philly at the Italian Market people comment on the fact that I'm from Norfolk because of the Tides hat that I'm wearing.  Don't give me the bull that people don't know this area.  That's just crap.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have a cousin that live in Manhattan. There is alot of retired NewYorkers here just for the cheap living near a beach and its not that far from their family in NY.

All I have to say is that when i visit NYC each summer I get more conversation from people (random from the streets, clubs, bars, neighborhoods, etc.) when i  say that i am from Richmond than I do when i say that i am from Norfolk.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think a lot more people know about Norfolk than you may think. As the home of the Atlantic fleet, Norfolk is recognized the world over. I would hesitate to make a generalization such as that based on only speaking to a few people.

I usually have to add Virginia Beach to my description of where I'm from. Even if they've never heard of it, the word beach is a good clue for them. It seems to me that those who don't know Norfolk (many actually do know it) simply ask if I'm from near DC or not. I often have to say, "Relax, I'm from southern VA but I don't have an NRA or KKK membership."

And why we care, recognition is a good indication your area is doing well and becoming a major metro player.

"Relax, I'm from southern VA but I don't have an NRA or KKK membership

What are you trying to say about this area? Are you stuck in the 1800's or something.  What's wrong with the NRA. I guess gun owners shouldn't have rights.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's not what I'm trying to say about the area, it's what many outsiders say or think about it. The NRA doesn't have the best relationship or connotation with most people in this part of the country and I think stereotypes are hyped up over it. If I say "I'm from southern VA" the next question is usually something like "so this (NY/NJ) must be so new to you" or "so how's life on the farm?" or "OMG it's so scary down there!" or their eyes get big and they say "Oh it must be so difficult living in a place like that."

Of course S. VA (or at least our part of it) isn't like that but it's the prefabricated stereotype and it's what people in many parts of the country think of when they think about VA. My remark in the previous post is sort of tongue-in-cheek, and when I say those sorts of things my intention is to make fun of the fact those ridiculous stereotypes exists. Nothing to get defensive about.

It's not what I'm trying to say about the area, it's what many outsiders say or think about it.  The NRA doesn't have the best relationship or connotation with most people in this part of the country and I think stereotypes are hyped up over it.  If I say "I'm from southern VA" the next question is usually something like "so this (NY/NJ) must be so new to you" or "so how's life on the farm?" or "OMG it's so scary down there!" or their eyes get big and they say "Oh it must be so difficult living in a place like that."

Of course S. VA (or at least our part of it) isn't like that but it's the prefabricated stereotype and it's what people in many parts of the country think of when they think about VA.  My remark in the previous post is sort of tongue-in-cheek, and when I say those sorts of things my intention is to make fun of the fact those ridiculous stereotypes exists.  Nothing to get defensive about.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I wasn't aware of sterotypes for our region. I don't think people associate us with the KKK or NRA IMO. I think people know we have the military and respect that.

Most of my family lives in Long Island, NY. The friends of my cousins I speak to know this area. 1-because of the military and 2.-because of Virginia Beach's beach.

I also specific where I live by saying Southeastern Virginia-on the Atlantic Ocean and the Chesapeake Bay. I think there high school education teaches them the geography of the Bay and Atlantic Ocean.

Metalman

question....Since Richmond FINALLY has a discount airline (thank god), how do you think it will affect the HR airports? I know many people had previously gone to D.C. or HR to catch a flight because of the high costs. Now that Richmond can finally compete for its own citizens, do you think it will negatively affect the airports in the HR area?

question....Since Richmond FINALLY has a discount airline (thank god), how do you think it will affect the HR airports? I know many people had previously gone to D.C. or HR to catch a flight because of the high costs. Now that Richmond can finally compete for its own citizens, do you think it will negatively affect the airports in the HR area?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

1. Congrats. Which discount airline?

2. Not really. I can't imagine Richmonders ever made up a large portion of the market share at Norfolk or Newport News. They're both very local airports.

1.  Congrats.  Which discount airline?

2.  Not really.  I can't imagine Richmonders ever made up a large portion of the market share at Norfolk or Newport News.  They're both very local airports.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

1. AirTran Airways

2. I agree. It should affect us very little, if not at all. By the end of the year, Norfolk may very well have service from JetBlue. Also, Southwest Airlines is still a big draw for outsiders.

First of all JPNO371 thanks for letting general :lol: rusthebuss know that he was stepping beyond his jurisdiction with his statement of telling someone to go to another forum and that was not very polite of him, but on the other hand gernerals are not suppose to be very polite are they :rofl:

I also attended BTW just as you did rusthebuss so why must you be up here saying that i am up here trying to start something. You heard what Mr. Willy said that he checked my background (police record) :lol: and he noticed that i did not say anything negative about any area. And for your info i am not enlisted in any branch of the military and before you start to assume things just ask me its ok to do so.

Ok, let me clear something up for you people out there who want to play that psychic lady that come on Montel on Wednesdays and try to assume or draw your negative conclusions on what i am talking about.

My statement on me recieving more conversation from people by saying that i am from Richmond than Norfolk may have to do with a cultural difference. I am pretty sure that i dont party with the same people you party with and you dont party with the same people i party with but regardless who party with who whether its with ones family, friends or alone i am speaking from my experiences and you are speaking from your experiences.

Now back to explaining myself, when i talk to different people abroad i guess my actions or maybe they just like my style they ask me where i am from and i tell them VA and their next response maybe Richmond and i say Norfolk and they say oh you from over their by BAD NEWZ or VA BEACH and i say yea. I guess my actions may lead them to believe that iam from Richmond first b/c Richmond is considered to be the wildest part in the state of VA and i will admit i do act a little strange when i visit NYC but its all in fun and games and i would not put it pass them that some may probably think that iam straight from NYC. On another note Richmond may be easier to explain to some than Norfolk b/c as lammius said you have to say close to the navy base and those who are not familiar with any navy base say no, then you say the beach, and some may reply are you close to DC and you say close but not that close, and when you are explaining Richmond you just say the capital of VA and they say ok, so i guess when i say iam from richmond sometimes i am being lazy or sometimes i just say anything that come to mind Richmond :whistling: Just joking, i do have a lot more to say but man iam tiered of typing and i have something to do but i shall return B)

PS i had so many emotions up here that a message popped up saying that i could not post until i narrow down my emotions :-)

You should really tell them where you are from instead of telling them that you are from Richmond, lazy or not. We need people here that support this area, that is one of the main issues in this area is that no one cares and don't support anything and what year did you graduate from BTW?

"1776 -- On New Year's Day, English ships under the command of Lord Dunmore opened fire on Norfolk, burning many of the buildings to the ground. The destruction was completed by Colonial troops in order that the British might not occupy the borough. Norfolk was the only American town completely destroyed and rebuilt. A British cannonball in the wall of St. Paul's Church is a reminder of the Revolutionary War."

from Norfolk's city website (oohhhh... def. didn't cite errr... bad)

So any buildings before 1776 (aside from churches and the like) were mostly destroyed.

In the 1860's (62-62), the Union Army burned most of the city to the ground and occupied it until the end of the war and throughout reconstruction.

Just a history lesson.

I've noticed that with the hostility revolving around the "historical significance of the area etc. etc. and its 'soul' ", we've lost the topic of this thread.  And please, you guys play nice.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have nothing more to add to this :thumbsup: .

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, so this is way off topic but I noticed several of us that are online a lot and I was wondering do we have lives outsides of urbanplanet?? :rofl: I do admit to being addicted to development in the area - and - I really wonder if I should have been an urban planner or such. In other areas I would really like to buy foreclosures or distressed properties and rehab them but lots of folks are doing that. Just in my one small department we have 3-4 folks going to get their real estate license. Oh well, maybe one day. :blush:

Edited by guynvb

Ok, so this is way off topic but I noticed several of us that are online a lot and I was wondering do we have lives outsides of urbanplanet??  :rofl:  I do admit to being addicted to development in the area - and - I really wonder if I should have been an urban planner or such. In other areas I would really like to buy foreclosures or distressed properties and rehab them but lots of folks are doing that. Just in my one small department we have 3-4 folks going to get their real estate license. Oh well, maybe one day.  :blush:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I too wonder if i've chosen the wrong path in life ever since i've picked up this hobby. I was always interested in skyscrapers and cities but i never really realized how much until later.

I too wonder if i've chosen the wrong path in life ever since i've picked up this hobby. I was always interested in skyscrapers and cities but i never really realized how much until later.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I work at the Verizon Fiber Solution Center so i sit in front of a PC taking calls all day long trouble shooting the new fiber network so i pop up and check it every so often.

Ok, so this is way off topic but I noticed several of us that are online a lot and I was wondering do we have lives outsides of urbanplanet??  :rofl:  I do admit to being addicted to development in the area - and - I really wonder if I should have been an urban planner or such. In other areas I would really like to buy foreclosures or distressed properties and rehab them but lots of folks are doing that. Just in my one small department we have 3-4 folks going to get their real estate license. Oh well, maybe one day.  :blush:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

haha I'm glad I got to this while I'm still in high school because now I am thinking about becoming an urban planner. But yeah, I check this site before school, during school, and when i get home and all evening!! :D