Hampton Roads Off-Topic Talk

Cotuit

Anyone have Cox high speed? They are now offering speeds up to 5 mbps download and up to 15 mbps for premier service. I think they have already upgraded in my area cause tonight the service is blazing fast. yee haa!! :thumbsup: B)

Edited by guynvb

Anyone have Cox high speed? They are now offering speeds up to 5 mbps download and up to 15 mbps for premier service. I think they have already upgraded in my area cause tonight the service is blazing fast. yee haa!!  :thumbsup:  B)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Verizon is threating them with up to 30 Megs down and 5 megs upload speed and verizon is coming out with cable tv as well. They are bring fiber to the side of your house.

Verizon is threating them with up to 30 Megs down and 5 megs upload speed and verizon is coming out with cable tv as well. They are bring fiber to the side of your house.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That is pretty fast. So this will be a cable connection like Cox? Any idea if it is similiar in price to Cox?

That is pretty fast. So this will be a cable connection like Cox? Any idea if it is similiar in price to Cox?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Nothing like cox. Price wise the 15M/2M speed will be about 40-50 a month. You don't need a modem. If you have multiple routers a dlink router will be provided. They run up to 100" of cat 5e cable in your house for the connection for free. The 30M/5M is little more expensive. Something like around 190 a month. You have the option to get buisness service so you can get a static ip and not a dynamic.

This really doesn't have tremendous ties to HR, but I was wondering... what if Katrina was here? :(

I've spent a considerable amount of time on the Louisiana pages and reading all their urban developments that were slated, it puts us to shame. Now all of that is gone. Not just that, but their cities are GONE. Many of the residents are dead and/or missing as well. It's just unfathomable... because I think of all that's going on around here and what if it, too, were to be destroyed like that? NCB on the NOrleans thread made a prophetic thread about "if the big one hit Louisiana" earlier in the month, and I pray I am not doing the same here (though the poor Outer Banks act as our buffer, knock on wood). I dunno... reading everything on there and seeing how the situation has deteriorated for them so quickly to the disturbingly rank and vile conditions that they are currently in... I wonder what would it be like for us? Would Hampton Roads morally deteriorate like that and/or would we become an obsolete shell of a major metro? Again, I want to say that irregardless of the circumstances, New Orleans is in my thoughts and prayers, and of course all of the northern Gulf Coast.

Isabel kicked our @ss and she was only a CAT 1. There is no way this area could stand up to a Katrina or even a CAT 3 for that matter. I know one thing, as much as I like to ride out a storm (I absolutely love storms, I'm fascinated by them), anything past a CAT 2 comes our way and i'm outta here. :ph34r:

This is just my two cents - Guys, I am not trying to complain but.. I just got in from work and was trying to catch up on the threads but honestly there are a lot of postings that bascially say.. nothing. It would be quite helpful to stay on topic if possible so it makes it more enjoyable. Thanks.

This is just my two cents - Guys, I am not trying to complain but.. I just got in from work and was trying to catch up on the threads but honestly there are a lot of postings that bascially say.. nothing. It would be quite helpful to stay on topic if possible so it makes it more enjoyable. Thanks.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I hear you guy and I'm trying to clean those threads up but this is the off-topic thread so this is the appropriate place for it.

I don't mean here at all. It just seems some folks are posting stuff as if just to post. I mean if they want to actually comment then great but .. anyway, maybe it is just me. I am not trying to be difficult in the least but it just seems this way lately imo.

Edited by guynvb

I don't mean here at all. It just seems folks are posting stuff as if just to post. I mean if they want to actually comment then great but .. anyway, maybe it is just me. I am not trying to be difficult in the least but it just seems this way lately imo.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I've noticed a slight deterioration in post quality lately. Some, (and you know who you are) have posted things that i've outright deleted lately. This has always been a good forum and fairly easy to manage but as we grow we will experience growing pains. I have yet to use the warn system with anyone in the Virginia forum, but I will if things get out of hand.

I appreciate this forum and it is great to be a part of this site and such and I love contributing when I can. When I got home tonight I had about 15 new threads to look at since about 3pm this afternoon. There wasn't much new info in those postings. I am not saying in any way not to post but some of the postings imo are just really not needed. Posting for the sake of just to post or waste time is not very helpful.

I appreciate this forum and it is great to be a part of this site and such and I love contributing when I can. When I got home tonight I had about 15 new threads to look at since about 3pm this afternoon. There wasn't much new info in those postings. I am not saying in any way not to post but some of the postings imo are just really not needed. Posting for the sake of just to post or waste time is not very helpful.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sorry guys if you where talking about me. I was joking with some of the guys and wasn't posting just to be posting. :huh:

Has anyone heard anything about gas stations shutting down here. My friend (lives on the Peninsula) just said he went to 4 gas stations tonight and they said they had no gas but he finally made it to one that did. Has anyone else experienced this? If so where. Just trying to figure out the scope of this thing (and separate rumor from fact so please post only what you can confirm).