Hampton Roads Off-Topic Talk

Cotuit

Pembroke has free wifi too but what i want is that wireless broadband service that verizon is bringing out but its not available here. I hear that wifi is really going to die quick cause its slow speeds and expensive costs and dead spots

That wireless broadband is gonna change a lot. It will probably become the next standard way of accessing the internet. It's crazy how far this technology has progressed. Ultimately providing access via wireless to anyone anywhere should help bring down cost (I hope :unsure: ).

Hello,

The free wifi type services utilize industrial versions of the same technology you see used in homes. The 802.11b and 802.11g standards. The distance is pretty limited due to the requirement of the antennas to be able to pick up the notebook adaptor card.

There is newer fixed wireless services coming online. These use higher power antennas systems mainly on businesses that are fixed in place, and aim towards higher towers and buildings (Town Center has Pinnacle Online's antennas, as do a host of other buildings). The goal here is to skip the requirement to pay Cox or telephone companies for transport. By using public airwaves, it cuts the cost down some.

There is then yet another set of broadbandish services coming from cell phone companies. These generally aren't as high speed as the fixed wireless, but should be more portable. Take your notebook all over the country. EVDO (Verizon) is one of these technologies.

The cities are talking wifi. Years ago I lined up companies willing to pay for the broadband service and we were willing to pay for the hardware and maintain free wireless at Norfolk Int'l airport. They turned us down, saying it wasn't in the public's interest. If there are fees charged, then the airport makes money, and that is in the public's interest as it's profit. I sort of understand where they are coming from.

I'm still not really sure what the huge benefit to this wireless data in downtown areas are. No serious business would rely on using public access service for their business I'd hope. If people aren't careful alot of damage can be done, there is no easy way to make public access internet over radio secure.

I think it's more of a me-too, a few other areas anounced it. The fun part is watching the local data providers get mad. It's like public television. The cities are opening the door for people to hurt the telecom companies business.

Wild stuff, indeed. Hampton Roads catches up.

I have a web hosting company, and all of my servers are in a office I rent in Virginia Beach. The prices for bandwidth from providers is quite a bit more than other areas. This is probably due to Cox's monopoly. There are a few new players deploying fiber, and they are cheaper, but there is a bit more latency since they haul the data all the way back to Pittsburgh.

Hopefully Verizon coming in will help lower the prices a bit although I realize Cox does not offer wireless broadband - at least as of yet.

Verizon is getting ready to kill Cox with this new fiber to the premise which brings voice, data, and video to your house on fiber to the side of your house. Verizon is has speeds up to 30 Megs down with 5 megs upload. Verizon will actually have more channels than Cox does. They have a office up in Great Neck in Vabeach, Harpersville in Newport News is coming up soon and East Beach already has some fiber customers in Norfolk.

Since Norfolk and Portsmouth are named after English cities, and the English love hyphenating names when cities are merged, then if there is a merging why not Norfolk-Portsmouth? It's simple and it flows easily.

Or how about some of the more crazy hyphonated names of English cities? (i.e. Stratford-upon-Avon, etc). We could have Portsmouth-Norfolk-upon-Elizabeth!

Or how about some of the more crazy hyphonated names of English cities? (i.e. Stratford-upon-Avon, etc). We could have Portsmouth-Norfolk-upon-Elizabeth!

As I understand it, "upon" means the new city was built upon the old city. And on further digging, I suppose to be truly English, the name would have to be Norfolk and Portsmouth.

As I understand it, "upon" means the new city was built upon the old city. And on further digging, I suppose to be truly English, the name would have to be Norfolk and Portsmouth.

Well Stratford is on the River Avon, along with Welford-on-Avon and Bidford-on-Avon. Perhaps there's a difference in the meaning of "upon-Avon" and "on-Avon?"

I was unable to google the history of the naming of the city, or of another example, Newcastle-upon-Tyne.

Without getting too off-topic over here, is anyone well-versed in English history?

Well Stratford is on the River Avon, along with Welford-on-Avon and Bidford-on-Avon. Perhaps there's a difference in the meaning of "upon-Avon" and "on-Avon?"

I was unable to google the history of the naming of the city, or of another example, Newcastle-upon-Tyne.

Without getting too off-topic over here, is anyone well-versed in English history?

I think you're right. I remember reading that Newcastle was built upon Tyne, hence the name. "On" as in on the river makes sense. So Norfolk and Portsmouth on Elizabeth it is.

The only English History I know is the worthless garbage I have to memorize for AP European history:

"Henry VIII enacted the Act of Supremacy and became the official head of the church of England, which ceded away so Henry could marry his wife's lady-in-waiting: Anne Boleyn (who he later killed)."

See. Worthless.

• 2 weeks later...

I will be in NYC from Thursday through Sunday. As such, I will have little or no access to a computer. My co-pilot guynvb will be looking after things while i'm gone, please give him your full cooperation. Also, something I've noticed from a lot of users lately is 1 line posting. Please lets try to keep this to a minimum. I'm not saying you can't do it at all but it should not be the majority of your posts. When people come into the forum and they see that new posts icon most have the reasonable expectation of finding something substantive to read when clicking the link. I've been guilty of it myself from time to time but I think in order to keep this forum enjoyable to read we need to get away from this practice. Thanks guys :thumbsup:

Just noticed today guys that the Virginia forum has broken 20,000 posts! 20,215 to be exact. That's about 8% of the total posts on urbanplanet. Virginia has definately made its mark. :D That's also 50% of all posts in the Northest forum.

Edited by vdogg

I will be in NYC from Thursday through Sunday. As such, I will have little or no access to a computer. My co-pilot guynvb will be looking after things while i'm gone, please give him your full cooperation. Also, something I've noticed from a lot of users lately is 1 line posting. Please lets try to keep this to a minimum. I'm not saying you can't do it at all but it should not be the majority of your posts. When people come into the forum and they see that new posts icon most have the reasonable expectation of finding something substantive to read when clicking the link. I've been guilty of it myself from time to time but I think in order to keep this forum enjoyable to read we need to get away from this practice. Thanks guys :thumbsup:

Vdogg, have fun in New York. I'll be observing Thanksgiving in Queens.