Hampton Roads Off-Topic Talk

Cotuit

ps. does anyone in here think if anyone from CMSS reads any of these comments because I am hoping they do.

Honestly, I hope they don't. We haven't been particularly kind to them. :unsure: If they do, know that my criticism is constructive. Some of their projects have a great design (i.e. harbor heights and i think they designed Cityview too).

Edited by vdogg

Honestly, I hope they don't. We haven't been particularly kind to them. :unsure: If they do, know that my criticism is constructive. Some of their projects have a great design (i.e. harbor heights and i think they designed Cityview too).

For all the trash we talk about CMSS, the only project anyone really complains about is the Armada Hoffler building. 500 West Main suits Norfolk perfectly, everyone loves the look of Trader and the design of Harbor Heights as well as those new condos by the church. Not to mention their master planning of Town Center is very good as well. I have a feeling that whatever they do design for the towers will be more than acceptable for what we are looking for.

Very Strange that Hampton Roads would be passed over for Homeland Security Special Initiative funding.

1. HR is only 3 hours from Northern Virginia and DC.

2. Large Concentration of military and one of the leading ports on the east coast!

3. Video found in Afganistan showing one of the 9/11 hijackers visiting and scoping out Naval Station Norfolk for a possible terrorist strike. Terrorist leader with colleague visited HR just months before 9/11.

What on earth led them to believe that cities like Louisville are more likely to be struck than HR???????

Very Strange that Hampton Roads would be passed over for Homeland Security Special Initiative funding.

1. HR is only 3 hours from Northern Virginia and DC.

2. Large Concentration of military and one of the leading ports on the east coast!

3. Video found in Afganistan showing one of the 9/11 hijackers visiting and scoping out Naval Station Norfolk for a possible terrorist strike. Terrorist leader with colleague visited HR just months before 9/11.

What on earth led them to believe that cities like Louisville are more likely to be struck than HR???????

This doesn't surprise me at the least.

• 3 weeks later...

For all the trash we talk about CMSS, the only project anyone really complains about is the Armada Hoffler building. 500 West Main suits Norfolk perfectly, everyone loves the look of Trader and the design of Harbor Heights as well as those new condos by the church. Not to mention their master planning of Town Center is very good as well. I have a feeling that whatever they do design for the towers will be more than acceptable for what we are looking for.

In general, they have done some very good work. I even enjoy the rocket ship on the top of the AH building. Trader, however, is severely weakened at the top (IMO) by that crude and oversized triangular roofline, which has no relationship with anything else in the design and reminds me of some of the false and theatrical rooflines that you might see on some big box designs in suburbia. The rest of the building is wonderful. I don't understand what happened with the roof. My friends with design backgrounds and planning backgrounds generally agree with me on this one. Yes, I do hope CMSS sees this comment.

In general, they have done some very good work. I even enjoy the rocket ship on the top of the AH building. Trader, however, is severely weakened at the top (IMO) by that crude and oversized triangular roofline, which has no relationship with anything else in the design and reminds me of some of the false and theatrical rooflines that you might see on some big box designs in suburbia. The rest of the building is wonderful. I don't understand what happened with the roof. My friends with design backgrounds and planning backgrounds generally agree with me on this one. Yes, I do hope CMSS sees this comment.

Its a tie in to dominion tower which also has the same type of roof.

Its a tie in to dominion tower which also has the same type of roof.

Yes, and maybe it will look nice in that context of several buildings, but the roof doesn't relate well to the rest of the building. There are some nice linear details and suggestions of setbacks in the facade. Those could have been exploited. Just my opinion. Can't wait to see it finished, from every angle possible.

City Center or Town Center? What's the difference

The dialogue has even taken a political bent. Conservatives charge that the concept of town centers and new urbanism is anathema to the free market and that town centers and the like are nothing more than communes disguised as models of a new planning philosophy. Liberals charge that new urbanism creates another form of sprawl and the communities are exclusive, forcing many citizens to live on the fringes of these communities.

Wtf? :huh: