Hampton Roads Off-Topic Talk

Cotuit

I am alike in that I was raised in a that poor farm town in rural NC. I decided I had had enough - no chance of really making nothing of myself so about ten years ago I moved here. Although it was quite challenging and one HUGE change for me but I must say I never regret doing it.

Maybe I have no right to say anything as I have never lived "amongst the other half". I've been raised rather well-off since birth and I can't say that I've spent much time in rough neighborhoods... but I am opinionated on several points here.

If someone takes help when they need it---when they're down and out---when they can't support themselves, that is one thing. When you take advantage of the system, that's something else entirely.

I don't think that anything short of a major overhaul of the entire welfare system (including stricter methods of determining who is elligible) is the only thing that will "cure" regional poverty.

On something completely off topic, i've noticed 5 new members browsing the forum. They haven't posted yet but wow, we must have hit it big on some search engine today :D.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Welcome to our lurkers. Feel free to join in! B)

So Norfolk is only cutting its tax rate by 5 cents?

http://home.hamptonroads.com/stories/story...6581&ran=130205

It is still going to cost Norfolkians $1.35 per hundred for real estate taxes and I find that expensive! Especially when neighboring VA Beach cut their tax rate to what, $1.02 or so? So looking at this for a $200,000 home, that means someone in VB would pay $2,040 a year in taxes but someone in neighboring Norfolk would pay $2,700. That is $660 a year difference. I would imagine urban living to be a little more expensive but that seems to be a huge difference. :blink:

Edited by guynvb

So Norfolk is only cutting its tax rate by 5 cents?

http://home.hamptonroads.com/stories/story...6581&ran=130205

It is still going to cost Norfolkians $1.35 per hundred for real estate taxes and I find that expensive! Especially when neighboring VA Beach cut their tax rate to what, $1.02 or so? So looking at this for a $200,000 home, that means someone in VB would pay $2,040 a year in taxes but someone in neighboring Norfolk would pay $2,700. That is $660 a year difference. I would imagine urban living to be a little more expensive but that seems to be a huge difference.  :blink:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I know i just bought a house in Norfolk on the NorthSide and its pretty high on taxes.

I was looking online tonight and the asking price for my area has gone up another $5k. It is just crazy what real estate is selling for these day. Thankfully, I am not in the market to buy another home.  :blush:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Tell me about it, I bought a home last year and this years assessment went up 45,000 dollars. I can already turn around and sell it for 50,000-60,000 more than I bought it for.

Tell me about it, I bought a home last year and this years assessment went up 45,000 dollars.  I can already turn around and sell it for 50,000-60,000 more than I bought it for.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The problem with that is you would spend all of your profit on your home and end up in about the same home and maybe less with the way houses continue to increase. It's almost not worth selling because what you get now is about the same as you had or less or you go further in debt to get a better house.

The problem with that is you would spend all of your profit on your home and end up in about the same home and maybe less with the way houses continue to increase. It's almost not worth selling because what you get now is about the same as you had or less or you go further in debt to get a better house.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Exactly, houses are now selling for about the same amount in Suffolk as VB. :blink:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Exactly...

May 19, 6:38 PM EDT

US Airways, America West agree to merge

By MATT BARAKAT and JACQUES BILLEAUD

AP Business Writers

PHOENIX (AP) -- US Airways Group Inc. and America West Holdings Corp., the nation's seventh and eighth largest carriers, are merging to create an airline that they hope will be able to compete with lower-cost competitors.

The companies said Thursday they will operate under the name US Airways and will be funded by $1.5 billion in new capital from a variety of investors, including aircraft maker Airbus.

The merger's goal is to stitch together two geographically distinct carriers with a history of financial struggles into a stronger airline that would compete better with lower-cost rivals such as Southwest Airlines Inc. and JetBlue Airways Corp.

"Building upon two complementary networks with similar fleets, closely aligned labor contracts and two outstanding teams of people, this merger creates the first nationwide full service low-cost airline," said Doug Parker, chief executive and president of America West Holdings. "Through this combination, we are seizing the opportunity to strengthen our business rather than waiting for the industry environment to improve."

Advertisement

US Airways President and CEO Bruce Lakefield said the merger will ensure US Airways' long-term viability and the security of its employees.

US Airways, which last year made its second trip into bankruptcy in two years, slashed worker pay by $1 billion a year and shed $3 billion in pension obligations. But even after the cost reductions, the airline struggled as fuel costs soared and low-fare competitors drove ticket prices down.

America West, which was founded in 1983 and is based in Tempe, Ariz., operates flights across the country through its hubs in Phoenix and Las Vegas.

When Parker took over as chief executive in 2001, America West was dogged by a reputation as a carrier that delayed flights, lost luggage and left customers waiting.

Rest of story

NOAA hurricane forecasters are predicting another above-normal hurricane season on the heels of last year's destructive and historic hurricane season. "NOAA's prediction for the 2005 Atlantic hurricane season is for 12 to15 tropical storms, with seven to nine becoming hurricanes, of which three to five could become major hurricanes," said retired Navy Vice Adm. Conrad C. Lautenbacher, Ph.D., undersecretary of commerce for oceans and atmosphere and NOAA administrator at a news conference today in Bay St. Louis, Miss. "Forecaster confidence that this will be an active hurricane season is very high."

This is the 10th year the Atlantic Ocean has produced an above-normal hurricane season.

City departments are using the information provided by NOAA and other sources to strengthen the City

Ok, this is way off topic so I guess this is ok to post here. Are there any added benefits or perhaps benefits otherwise not gained by walking backwards? Just now I was walking around the neighborhood and saw this lady walking backwards. At first I thought she was backing up to say kick a ball or something. I walked on for probably another 15 mins then returned to the area only to see her again walking backwards and not even looking behind her. It is a pretty bizarre thing to see - honestly! :lol:

Ok, this is way off topic so I guess this is ok to post here. Are there any added benefits or perhaps benefits otherwise not gained by walking backwards? Just now I was walking around the neighborhood and saw this lady walking backwards. At first I thought she was backing up to say kick a ball or something. I walked on for probably another 15 mins then returned to the area only to see her again walking backwards and not even looking behind her. It is a pretty bizarre thing to see - honestly!  :lol:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I've never heard of anything being beneficial walking backwards, it maybe to strengthen her cordination or work other muscles. Sounds like you have some weird neighbors.

Found a great article that came out today showing this areas ranking when it comes to business and places for new business. It mainly talks about richmond but richmond ranked 14th as hampton roads ranked eighth and nova ranked fourth. No other state other than texas had more than one city ranked. Pretty good showing for virginia and I'll bet new businesses are already eyeing this area if its in forbes. Why not the international shipping community is already flooding this area with port business, its only natural that business will be coming soon.

Check the article out here

Found a great article that came out today showing this areas ranking when it comes to business and places for new business.  It mainly talks about richmond but richmond ranked 14th as hampton roads ranked eighth and nova ranked fourth.  No other state other than texas had more than one city ranked.  Pretty good showing for virginia and I'll bet new businesses are already eyeing this area if its in forbes.  Why not the international shipping community is already flooding this area with port business, its only natural that business will be coming soon.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Great news. We talked about it over here also

Found a great article that came out today showing this areas ranking when it comes to business and places for new business.  It mainly talks about richmond but richmond ranked 14th as hampton roads ranked eighth and nova ranked fourth.  No other state other than texas had more than one city ranked.  Pretty good showing for virginia and I'll bet new businesses are already eyeing this area if its in forbes.  Why not the international shipping community is already flooding this area with port business, its only natural that business will be coming soon.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Why does Richmond get the headline rather than Norva or Norfolk? After all, according to the article DC/Norva is #4, Norfolk #8 and Greater Ricmond is out of the top ten at #14. Cox Communications must be based in Richmond. I think you guys should get second billing after DC/Norva.

Why does Richmond get the headline rather than Norva or Norfolk?  After all, according to the article DC/Norva is #4, Norfolk #8 and Greater Ricmond is out of the top ten at #14.  Cox Communications must be based in Richmond.  I think you guys should get second billing after DC/Norva.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's the capital. I think it will always get the headline over us.

Although that might be true, it seems like a pretty lame reason. I mean it is the smallest metro and it got last place out of the 3, and it grabs the headline simply because it is the capital?  :angry:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree but that is just the way it is. As I said before we are the red headed step child of the state