Hampton Roads Off-Topic Talk

Cotuit

I don't think as many tourists would visit the City of Norfolk as they do Virginia Beach.. Maybe they would I don't know.

I'm all for Norfolk keeping the namesake. The City of Norfolk pop. 2 million (2030 estimates). 4th largest city in the country. 2nd largest on the East Coast. Sounds good

What about Richmond and Hampton Roads becoming a combined statistical region sort of like Baltimore- Washington- NoVa? It would have a population of probably 4 million.

We already are, in a way: http://hrpartnership.blogspot.com/2009/03/...-2050-mega.html

post-17757-1239803664_thumb.jpg

regional cooperation leads to more effective growth management and zoning. I'm currently doing research for a final paper on the effects of urban sprawl as a result of the fragmented gov't. Which most research I've found so far is in support of regionalism as a means to prevent poorly planned sprawl. It'll be interesting to see what I come up with.

We're definitely interested in what you find out! Would love to read your paper when finished. Thanks! :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

http://hamptonroads.com/2009/05/hopes-wind...-virginia-beach

VIRGINIA BEACH

From a proposed offshore wind farm with whirling turbines as tall as The Westin in Town Center, to regulations for backyard and rooftop turbines, Virginia Beach is on a wind-to-energy binge.

Wind-farm boosters, despite the ailing economy, held a mini conference here this week to build momentum for the project. It was the first formal gathering of government officials, potential investors, manufacturers and scientists since the release of a February study that concluded the project is viable.

Touting the creation of green jobs, organizers said that converting wind to electricity could create a new industry in Hampton Roads. Some suggested that the closed Norfolk Ford Motor Co. plant would make a good turbine factory.

On a smaller scale, the city is developing an ordinance to allow turbines on homes and businesses. The idea is to allow roof-mounted or free standing wind mills in many zoning districts, including neighborhoods.

Getting government, business, environmental, military and scientific groups to work together is the next challenge for the offshore wind farm, said George Hagerman, a Virginia Tech scientist and director of research for the Virginia Coastal Energy Research Consortium, a state-funded academic group leading the project.

"We need to synchronize all these moving parts with slightly different agendas," he said.

Money is another issue, and probably the biggest obstacle. The estimated $1 billion project, envisioned 12 to 15 miles offshore roughly east of Back Bay, is unfunded...

Could this benefit the HR economy?! More jobs? New industry?

Edited by varider

Hampton Roads (portsmoth) was in NBCs the nightly news tonight. It was about an org. helping save peoples homes. The story starts 10 minutes into the video.

The actually use the name Hampton Roads :P

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3032619/

Thanks for the heads-up! Just added to the Hampton Roads blog, SmartRegion.org: Urban League of Hampton Roads on NBC Nightly News

post-17757-1243110380_thumb.jpg

It'd be really cool if this wind energy thing turned into a major player in our economy.. Bringing thousands of jobs from blue collar factory jobs to white collar corporate executive jobs..! Maybe even turn into a fortune 500 company..

Doesn't work. We need blue collar jobs. Not everyone can have a white collar job. Heck, I'd venture in many orgs the white collars are useless caked on layers of management.

You can look at companies that do multiple billions in revenue with 22 people. They offshore R&D, design and manufacturing.

Just don't need towers full of middle management.

Went to see the VHSL State Track meet at Todd Stadium in Newport News.. I have 3 comments and questions..

1. I noticed train tracks being built down the median of 664, what could that be about?

2. City Center @ Oyster Point was pretty cool. 1st time going there, enjoyed the shoppes and the water was beautiful. Was actually surprised how urban and dense it was. I saw two buildings under construction. I think the area has a lot of potential and room to build. The foot traffic was almost to the likes of VBTC.

3. Looked to my left on the MMBT and saw a great view of Downtown Norfolk. It looked very big and dense. :D

Went to see the VHSL State Track meet at Todd Stadium in Newport News.. I have 3 comments and questions..

1. I noticed train tracks being built down the median of 664, what could that be about?

2. City Center @ Oyster Point was pretty cool. 1st time going there, enjoyed the shoppes and the water was beautiful. Was actually surprised how urban and dense it was. I saw two buildings under construction. I think the area has a lot of potential and room to build. The foot traffic was almost to the likes of VBTC.

3. Looked to my left on the MMBT and saw a great view of Downtown Norfolk. It looked very big and dense. :D

Probably part of the train tracking down 164 from the New Terminal.

CC@OP is awesome! I actually like it more then I like TC (and I really do like TC)... I've been up there to the bars a couple times & something about it just seems nicer then TC...perhaps the stormwater basin they created right in the center makes it seem better in my mind. Never made it up there during the day, but will have to sometime to see if I can't take some photos & see the foot traffic you speak of.

If you get a chance ever, check out downtown Hampton as well... I really like that area, although small, it is very well setup with lots of restaurants lining a cobblestone street, and some nice riverfront views, plus the 1 or 2 tall buildings that look fantastic against a blue & white sky-

I too saw the view of DT yesterday on the way back from the peninsula.... really looks great, wells fargo stands out but seems very distant from the remainder of DT from that angle. The view of DT coming down 164 towards Norfolk is where the DT looks amazing, especially days like yesterday when a cruise ship sits directly in front of all the towers.

Varider, the traintracks down the 664 median are for the new terminals coming online such as APM and Craney island.

I actually live right next to City Center @ OP. I got a new camera and can take pictures.

Edited by Mobius57

http://hamptonroads.com/2009/06/better-alt...irginias-shores

Virginia Beach is moving aggressively to see if it can harness wind energy as well as encourage the businesses that go with it. Already, the mayor has corralled city, state and federal officials to work together to bring the technology here. The research is promising, the startup expensive, but exploring the possibility of an inexhaustible resource that doesn't soil the ocean is a smart move.

Mayor Will Sessoms organized the energy task force to look at all sources, including wind, the sun, tides, algae biomass, and oil and gas. But plans to build turbines for wind - the fastest-growing energy source in the world - are progressing quickly.

The Hampton Roads Sanitation District is considering using wind to provide supplemental power to its Atlantic treatment plant and possibly a school nearby. A consortium has proposed erecting a 550-foot demonstration tower at Dam Neck to prove that sufficient wind is there and that the turbine can withstand marine weather. Fueling the interest, a Hampton Roads company plans to begin building components for wind and solar power.

The Virginia Coastal Energy Research Consortium, created by the state two years ago to develop renewable technologies, says the ocean off Virginia Beach, where the average wind speed is 10.4 mph, is well suited for a wind farm. Two sites were mentioned, both 12 to 15 miles off the Dam Neck Annex to Oceana Naval Air Station.

A pilot project would help developers determine whether building more than 100 turbines offshore, at a cost of $1 billion, would produce enough energy and attract enough business to be worthwhile. One proposal suggests that operating 200 turbines offshore would supply 20 percent of Virginia's power needs and create 1,200 temporary and 250 permanent jobs.

Although four other states are working on similar projects, none is operational. But Europe has used wind as energy for decades.

Could this be the next big thing for the HR economy? Detroit has cars, Charlotte has banking, Virginia Beach could have energy.? What ya think?

Nope. There are too many players that are gunning for the alternative energy market.

I know there has been suggestion on other forums I read that alternative energy could be the next bubble.

Hampton Roads could have had maglev transit industry maybe.

Ok, so I don't know if you guys/gals are voting tomorrow.... But I'm really trying to figure out who to vote for. I'm torn!

All I care about is electing a governor who will push for transportation infrastructure, and Moran is promising the third crossing! But Deeds is also making promises for light rail and a more comprehensive long-rang plan.

Part of me wants to vote for Deeds cause I keep reading that he is the more moderate of the three candidates and has a better chance of defeating McDonald...but does more moderate mean less transporation minded?

Ok, so there is a continuing debate about how Hampton Roads should advance its national recognition...Should we regionialize? Should we be one city with 7 distinct boroughs? And if so, what do we call ourselves?

Ok, check this?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Unite...ropolitan_areas

I'm pretty sure that most every American has heard of the first 34 regions, not by their metropolitan nickname, but by the major central city. However, many people when they get to "Norfolk" they tend to draw a blank. And if the phrase is "Hampton Roads" they draw an even greater blank. I was in Boston several weeks ago, and anytime I said I was from Norfolk, everytime they ask, "where is that?" Or they thought maybe I was referring to "Norfolk County" in Massachusetts!!!

There are some who think if we regionalize, we should go by "Hampton Roads," however, if you look through the metropolitan nickname column, just how many do you recognize over the central city. More people in American know what "Norfolk" is before they know "Hampton Roads," and many people know the names and place of even smaller cities below our number 35th position. Now come on, why do we live in an invisible city to the rest of America?

Honestly, I think the area should be called Hampton Roads, Virginia with the 7 cities remaining the 7 boroughs.. Instantly, we would be on every newscast in the world.. The city would be the 5th largest in the country.. I'm sure stations like CNN would show the world what we have to offer.. People might even flock to the area after seeing the beaches, the transit system, the waterways, urbanity, everything.. No more arguing over where high speed rail should go, who should get what.. I'm sure we would be respected by the state government more.. I mean what do we have to lose... Yeah.. nobody would want to give up their name (especially the beach).. But they'd get over it.. I think it's something that must be done.

Hampton Roads: 2nd largest city on the east coast. The area would eventually obtain the big city mentality and basically turn into a big city. All the cities can still maintain their identities, but at the same time it would benefit them dramatically.

edit: this really is a great debate.. i mean how hard would it be to consolidate into one city.. build a 30 story city hall in norfolk, every mayor gets to keep his job, the citizens will vote for the actual mayor, and the others will be city council members... repaint all police/ fire cars and get new uniforms... nothing would have to change with the school systems..i mean seriously, why is it so hard.. LETS DO IT HAMPTON ROADS!

Edited by varider

Speaking of regionalism... How about we start with this forum by making a Hampton Roads group and then putting the Norfolk and VA Beach groups inside of it.

This is more of a organizational reason... Think about all the different topics in Norfolk and Vabeach and trying to merge them together. Now try and go through all of them to see whats happening in each city

It wouldn't be too hard.. Merge all the light rail threads into Hampton Roads Transportation.. Archive all the older, completed projects.. I think we should do it.. I mean if cities like Charlotte have all their projects in one place I'm sure we can.. Unless your saying we have more stuff goin' on then them ^_^