Hampton Roads Off-Topic Talk

Cotuit

Not many people have heard of the term Hampton Roads. Say Virginia Beach or Norfolk and everyone knows it.

If it were up to me I'd just call it Virginia Beach-Norfolk. Like Minneapolis-St. Paul, Tampa- St. Pete, etc.

When someone asks me where i'm from Ijust say Virginia Beach and they almost always say "Oh it's so nice there, I'd love livign there"

• 2 weeks later...

In a poll on citydata.com, I asked "Which have you heard of." The answers were VaBeach, Norfolk,Hampton Roads,and Tidewater.

75 people voted. 87% had heard of Virginia Beach. 87% had heard of Norfolk. 62% had heard of Hampton Roads. 37% had heard of Tidewater. 7% hadn't heard of any of them.

can you provide the link to the poll? thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

http://hamptonroads....near-ecopark-nc

Once part of a giant landfill project, a 134-acre business park proposed for Camden County near the Chesapeake border could create more than 500 jobs.

If Camden continues to develop, I think this could help in our efforts for commuter rail from North Carolina to downtown Norfolk.

can you provide the link to the poll? thanks.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/general-u-s/803701-my-metro-has-identity-crisis-have-4.html

Edited by varider

Not many people have heard of the term Hampton Roads. Say Virginia Beach or Norfolk and everyone knows it.

If it were up to me I'd just call it Virginia Beach-Norfolk. Like Minneapolis-St. Paul, Tampa- St. Pete, etc.

When someone asks me where i'm from Ijust say Virginia Beach and they almost always say "Oh it's so nice there, I'd love livign there"

I'm gonna have to agree. It would be nice to have a Peninsula city in there as well, though. Like VA Beach-Norfolk-Newport News or Norfolk-VA Beach-Newport News. But I think that's asking for too much. If it benefits the region more, I'd be fine with VA Beach-Norfolk or Norfolk-VA Beach.

Although, I must say, I don't mind the name Hampton Roads. I used to hate it and think it was ugly, but it's grown on me now. It has a lot of history to it, actually.

Ya know,

If Hampton Roads were actually on the map [literally], I think I'd like it a little bit more and help with the recognition factor. If you type in Hampton Roads on google, you get a body of water.

If we're going to be called Hampton Roads, we need to stick with it. No Tidewater, no SE Virginia, no Greater Virginia Beach or Greater Norfolk, just Hampton Roads. Like census and everything.

I'm gonna have to agree. It would be nice to have a Peninsula city in there as well, though. Like VA Beach-Norfolk-Newport News or Norfolk-VA Beach-Newport News. But I think that's asking for too much. If it benefits the region more, I'd be fine with VA Beach-Norfolk or Norfolk-VA Beach.

Although, I must say, I don't mind the name Hampton Roads. I used to hate it and think it was ugly, but it's grown on me now. It has a lot of history to it, actually.

the name of our MSA follows the OMB's naming convention: http://www.census.gov/population/www/metroareas/aboutmetro.html

I've sent an email requesting information as to amending this to include regional monikers, such as Hampton Roads... stay tuned.

Ya know,

If Hampton Roads were actually on the map [literally], I think I'd like it a little bit more and help with the recognition factor. If you type in Hampton Roads on google, you get a body of water.

If we're going to be called Hampton Roads, we need to stick with it. No Tidewater, no SE Virginia, no Greater Virginia Beach or Greater Norfolk, just Hampton Roads. Like census and everything.

Here's the problem with calling us "Hampton Roads," officially or unofficially...no city in our metro is actually named Hampton Roads! The term is actually completely arbiturary and is no different then calling Raleigh "The Triangle."

If the seven cities choose to actually politically consolidate, then sure we could be called "Hampton Roads" or whatever. But we are trying to adopt a naming system that no metro area in the world uses....might as well call us "the big apple" and then try to convince the world that this is our real name. It makes no sense, not for any metro region in the world, so definitely not for Norfolk/Va Beach.

In my opinion, Norfolk needs to annex Portsmouth and then call us the Greater Norfolk region. It makes sense historically and economically. Better yet, let Norfolk annex the whole metro and call us the 7 boroughs with the seven mayors becoming the city council. But lets get real, that will never happen unless the federal government someday creates legislation that routes all new federal funding for infrastructure to metros which show political efforts that work to counter sprawl and political fragmentation.

Maybe thats just a dream....or the solution.

Edited by mlsimons

the name of our MSA follows the OMB's naming convention: http://www.census.go...aboutmetro.html

I've sent an email requesting information as to amending this to include regional monikers, such as Hampton Roads... stay tuned.

I actually tried that awhile back but to no avail. I mentioned points like how the state officially recognizes Hampton Roads as the brand for the area. I also pointed out that the current name, Virginia Beach-Norfolk-Newport News, VA MSA, did not follow their rules, which require that "The title of a [Core Based Statistical Area] will include the name of its Principal City with the largest Census 2000 population. If there are multiple Principal Cities, the names of the second largest and third largest Principal Cities will appear in the title in order of descending population size." - http://www.census.go...es/00-32997.pdf

In other words, if they followed their own definition, we would be called the Virginia Beach-Norfolk-Chesapeake, VA MSA. They have not updated their definitions apparently since 2000. I think it is about time that they do so. Perhaps a few letters to some congressmen would help.

That would be so great.

5th largest city in the country.

But if Norfolk annexed Portsmouth, Virginia Beach would still have a good 100,000 more residents.

Our area works together in every way but politically. On any given day I can find myself in three or four different cities just running normal errands. Norfolk is the historical center, but Virginia Beach is every bit as important. Because of this, you can't call it Norfolk or Virginia Beach, and never will.

That's why I just say call it the "City of Hampton Roads." Population, 1,700,000. Maybe the metro could extend down towards Elizabeth City and up past Williamsburg to make the metro 2,000,000+.

It would be so much easier to pull jobs, sports teams, transportation funding, conferences, tourists, etc. Why can't we just WORK TOGETHER?!

I actually tried that awhile back but to no avail. I mentioned points like how the state officially recognizes Hampton Roads as the brand for the area. I also pointed out that the current name, Virginia Beach-Norfolk-Newport News, VA MSA, did not follow their rules, which require that "The title of a [Core Based Statistical Area] will include the name of its Principal City with the largest Census 2000 population. If there are multiple Principal Cities, the names of the second largest and third largest Principal Cities will appear in the title in order of descending population size." - http://www.census.go...es/00-32997.pdf

In other words, if they followed their own definition, we would be called the Virginia Beach-Norfolk-Chesapeake, VA MSA. They have not updated their definitions apparently since 2000. I think it is about time that they do so. Perhaps a few letters to some congressmen would help.

You are correct... however, the change won't come about until the upcoming census. can't wait to hear the upheaval over that!

You are correct... however, the change won't come about until the upcoming census. can't wait to hear the upheaval over that!

Even with the 2000 census figures, Chesapeake (199,184) was bigger than NN (180,150). NN hasnt been more populous since 1990. Are their names really that far behind? In other words, even if they agreed now, we may not be the HR MSA until 2030?

Even with the 2000 census figures, Chesapeake (199,184) was bigger than NN (180,150). NN hasnt been more populous since 1990. Are their names really that far behind? In other words, even if they agreed now, we may not be the HR MSA until 2030?

I received this info from the Geography Division of the U.S. Census Bureau, if anyone wants to take a stab at it:

Per the Federal Register Notices for MSAs on the OMB webpage:

• Recommendations From the Metropolitan and Micropolitan Statistical Area Standards Review Committee to the Office of Management and Budget Concerning Changes to the 2000 Standards for Defining Metropolitan and Micropolitan Statistical Areas (February 12, 2009)

http://www.whitehouse.gov/omb/asset.aspx?AssetId=626#ms (7 pages, 120 kb)

There is some information on page 5 about titling changes that may be of some help. It appears that any recommendation for changes needed to be submitted by April 13, 2009 to be included for the 2010 standards, however, try to speak with the contact person given in the notice for further information. There are two individuals named in the document, one for OMB and the other for the MSA Review Committee Chair here at Census.

@Norfolk4Life, as I understand from the naming standards, there is a "local preference" option on the cities named as well. My guess is that the mayors of VB-Norfolk-NNews at the time of the decision were more powerful and influential than Chesapeake's. To answer your 2030 supposition, hmmm.... good question and sounds like may be the case. :-(

• 3 weeks later...

I'm glad there are off-topic thread for questions like this:

In Chesapeake last night, I was startled by an unusually loud droning noise coming from the Southeast general direction.

It sounded like a jet engine of some kind, but much louder, and plus we don't really ever hear jet noise in Greenbrier, haha.

Whatever it was, it sounded like it had more energy than anything I've ever heard in my life.

Did any one else hear anything of this nature, and if so, any clues as to what in the world it was? I'm very curious.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I'm not hatin' or anything.. but how come the Peninsula keeps getting all the cool stuff?!

Nascar sports grill opens tonight at the power plant in Hampton also. Only the third restaraunt of its kind. TV's at every table which you can watch personally whatever you desire. Sounds like a neat environment. Also, a dueling piano's type saloon opening up next to it in a few months. The Colliseum area is really taking off. By summer this place will be hopping (assuming anyone has any money by then).

• 2 months later...

Hampton Roads doesn't have it so bad...

Top Ten Cities in Free Fall, according to Forbes

Miami boasts a popular South Beach club scene, Art Deco Architecture, and perhaps the best Cuban food in the country. But residents don't have much else to celebrate.

More than three years after the economy started its downward slide, the Miami metro area, like a handful of Sun Belt cities, still hasn't begun to recover. Median home prices in Miami have fallen 38% since its market peaked in the second quarter of 2007; the city's 11% unemployment rate is above the national average and has grown more than most of the 40 cities we surveyed.

Cities in the "Sand States" of Florida, California, Arizona and Nevada, where overbuilding was rampant, are also in trouble, claiming nine of the top 10 spots in our list of cities in free fall. In Las Vegas, Riverside, Calif., and Phoenix, median home prices have fallen 50%, 44% and 37% from their respective peaks. Jobs are vanishing. Though country-wide, employers added 162,00 jobs last month, Riverside gained 13% fewer jobs in February 2010 (the latest numbers available by metro) than it did the same month three years earlier. Tampa, Fla., saw a 10% drop, and Los Angeles added 9% fewer jobs over the same time period.

Florida cities dominate our list, with Tampa, Orlando and Jacksonville joining Miami. Read the full story...

http://www.forbes.com/2010/04/09/cities-top-ten-lifestyle-real-estate-unemployment-home-prices.html