Hampton Roads Off-Topic Talk

Cotuit

'Regional cooperation boosts progress on major projects in Hampton Roads'

http://www.virginiab...e-instead-of-me

The the reason why many companies do not move their businesses to Hampton Roads is because of the airport.

While Barrett applauds the successes reaped by regionalism, he worries that Hampton Roads will not be able to compete for high-tech industries and corporate headquarters without nonstop air service to the West Coast. “International consultants tell us that is our most serious deficiency for national headquarters and modeling and simulation,” he contends. “To me that is the biggest deficiency, and it has to be corrected.”

Newport News/Williamsburg International Airport is making inroads with Frontier Airlines’ nonstop service to Denver. “That’s a step in the right direction,” Barrett adds. “It’s a matter of working with airlines that provide it and subsidizing it until it becomes profitable. The cities could work together to stimulate the creation of that service.”

Richmond has a advantage because of its proximity to the airports in Washington DC.

Hopefully the commission can swindle some of the airliners into offering non-stop service to the west coast and internationally.

Its the only way the Hampton Roads area can meet its potential instead of depending on just the military for job creation.

The the reason why many companies do not move their businesses to Hampton Roads is because of the airport.

Richmond has a advantage because of its proximity to the airports in Washington DC.

Hopefully the commission can swindle some of the airliners into offering non-stop service to the west coast and internationally.

Its the only way the Hampton Roads area can meet its potential instead of depending on just the military for job creation.

I can believe this statement. I've worked with contractors from the west coast in the modsim industry and they always complain about getting here.

I know Southwest has a direct flight to Vegas but it seems like most anywhere else west is going to have a stop at a major hub.

Also one time we had 3 guys coming into town that had to fly into Richmond because no rental cars were available from any company located at Newport News or Norfolk airports. There was a medium sized conference going on at the Beach and every single rental car was taken for several days.

There was actually a really smart dude we knew from the hack scene a while ago that had some how hooked up with this local girl, and was thinking about moving here. I was surprised, but in the end she ended up moving out to where he was I believe. His big issue was he traveled a bunch for work, and all of the lights in Norfolk were mostly connecting flights.

Yea he was in Atlanta.

His job would let him live anywhere.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Gonna have to make it! The background tracks of the Clipse are sorta catchy but I generally avoid rap these days that is all about the ghetto or violence. It's run it's course, it's old, no one cares about the ghetto, etc.

It's cool that there are more tech jobs, as long as they are good. I worked on a contract for the NAVY via EDS (NMCI) and it was pretty much the worst thing ever. They blew tons of money, had lots of really bad people, and overall I can see it doing a lot of damage to the area. Jobs aren't good jobs, and the gov't contractors have a habit of not attracting the best, or providing environments that just aren't really great.

Good news for the oyster industry! :thumbsup:

"Chesapeake Bay oysters gain disease resistance"

A new report says Chesapeake Bay oysters appear to be becoming more resistant to diseases that have harmed their populations in recent years.

The Chesapeake Bay Foundation report released Tuesday also calls for increasing oyster sanctuaries, reef building and anti-poaching efforts to promote resistance.

The report is based on a review of recent research, state data from Maryland and Virginia and interviews with oyster experts.

Maryland released an oyster restoration plan in May calling for putting 25 percent of oyster reefs off limits to harvesting.

The foundation report calls for Virginia and Maryland to create sanctuaries protecting about 40 percent of historical oyster grounds.

http://hamptonroads....ease-resistance

The bad news is it happened by people polluting the bay beyond repair! :ermm:

Edited by calwinston

• 2 weeks later...

Virginia's two senators and 5 of its congressmen wrote to the Secreatry of the Air Force to vie for another F-22 squadron to Langley Air Force Base

The Honorable Michael Donley

Secretary of the Air Force

1670 Air Force Pentagon

Washington, D.C. 20330

General Norman Schwartz, USAF

Chief of Staff of the Air Force

1670 Air Force Pentagon

Washington, D.C. 20330

Dear Secretary Donley and General Schwartz,

Our purpose in writing is to ask that Langley Air Force Base (LAFB), Virginia, be given all due consideration among the four candidate bases currently under consideration as recipients of an additional F-22 Raptor squadron. For a number of important reasons, we believe that Langley Air Force Base is the best-value alternative for the Air Force and the taxpayer.

The need for an updated beddown plan for the F-22 is necessitated largely by the curtailment of the Raptor program at 187 aircraft. As you are aware, the original F-22A beddown structure for Langley AFB called for the assignment of three squadrons composed of 24 primary assigned aircraft (PAA).

To implement this plan at LAFB, the Air Force was appropriated approximately $95 million to build the facilities necessary for squadron operations and support. These military construction projects included three fully mission capable aircraft hangars specifically designed for the F-22. Two of these hangars currently house F-22s. The third will be vacated this September following the retirement of an F-15 squadron, resulting in excess operational capacity and modern facilities.

A number of additional projects will further improve LAFB’s ability to host a third squadron and should be considered during the rebasing review. The President’s fiscal year 2011 budget request included $8.8 million to build a Low Observable Hangar/Maintenance Facility. This project has already been approved by the Senate Committee on Appropriations and the House Military Construction and Veteran Affairs Appropriations Subcommittee and included in their spending bills. The House has also authorized and appropriated $3 million to purchase land in Langley’s “clear zone.” These land purchases will improve the air space quality and safety around LAFB. Additionally, $3 million has been authorized to provide shelters to protect the F-22s and enable maintenance on the ramp during inclement weather.

Langley also hosts one of the most experienced Air National Guard squadrons in the nation. As members of the initial cadre of the first operational F-22 squadron and the first Guard unit to fly the F-22, the 192nd Fighter Wing’s operational achievements and depth of technical knowledge of the aircraft are unparalleled. The assignment of a third F-22 squadron will help to preserve that unit’s identity, sustain personnel retention, and expand leadership opportunities in ways that exist today in other states. Langley is uniquely poised to move into an Active Associate model to provide even more flexibility.

With the importance of the Air Sovereignty Mission, Langley is well-positioned as an operational base with full command-and-control and mission-support facilities. Unlike other locations which are unable to conduct operational missions, Langley will not require additional construction or manning to make it an operational base. In short, owing to past investments, Langley is a “turn-key” installation that can commence operations with a third F-22 squadron almost immediately. ...............

http://www.mytimesdispatch.com/index.php/virginiapolitics/virginia_senators_congressmen_push_for_f-22_raptor_squadron/

Virginia's two senators and 5 of its congressmen wrote to the Secreatry of the Air Force to vie for another F-22 squadron to Langley Air Force Base

Letter

The Honorable Michael Donley

Secretary of the Air Force

1670 Air Force Pentagon

Washington, D.C. 20330

General Norman Schwartz, USAF

Chief of Staff of the Air Force

1670 Air Force Pentagon

Washington, D.C. 20330

Dear Secretary Donley and General Schwartz,

Our purpose in writing is to ask that Langley Air Force Base (LAFB), Virginia, be given all due consideration among the four candidate bases currently under consideration as recipients of an additional F-22 Raptor squadron. For a number of important reasons, we believe that Langley Air Force Base is the best-value alternative for the Air Force and the taxpayer.

The need for an updated beddown plan for the F-22 is necessitated largely by the curtailment of the Raptor program at 187 aircraft. As you are aware, the original F-22A beddown structure for Langley AFB called for the assignment of three squadrons composed of 24 primary assigned aircraft (PAA).

To implement this plan at LAFB, the Air Force was appropriated approximately $95 million to build the facilities necessary for squadron operations and support. These military construction projects included three fully mission capable aircraft hangars specifically designed for the F-22. Two of these hangars currently house F-22s. The third will be vacated this September following the retirement of an F-15 squadron, resulting in excess operational capacity and modern facilities.

A number of additional projects will further improve LAFB’s ability to host a third squadron and should be considered during the rebasing review. The President’s fiscal year 2011 budget request included $8.8 million to build a Low Observable Hangar/Maintenance Facility. This project has already been approved by the Senate Committee on Appropriations and the House Military Construction and Veteran Affairs Appropriations Subcommittee and included in their spending bills. The House has also authorized and appropriated $3 million to purchase land in Langley’s “clear zone.” These land purchases will improve the air space quality and safety around LAFB. Additionally, $3 million has been authorized to provide shelters to protect the F-22s and enable maintenance on the ramp during inclement weather.

Langley also hosts one of the most experienced Air National Guard squadrons in the nation. As members of the initial cadre of the first operational F-22 squadron and the first Guard unit to fly the F-22, the 192nd Fighter Wing’s operational achievements and depth of technical knowledge of the aircraft are unparalleled. The assignment of a third F-22 squadron will help to preserve that unit’s identity, sustain personnel retention, and expand leadership opportunities in ways that exist today in other states. Langley is uniquely poised to move into an Active Associate model to provide even more flexibility.

With the importance of the Air Sovereignty Mission, Langley is well-positioned as an operational base with full command-and-control and mission-support facilities. Unlike other locations which are unable to conduct operational missions, Langley will not require additional construction or manning to make it an operational base. In short, owing to past investments, Langley is a “turn-key” installation that can commence operations with a third F-22 squadron almost immediately. ...............

http://www.mytimesdi...aptor_squadron/

"Langley Air Force Base slated to get six F-22 Raptors"

http://hamptonroads.com/2010/07/langley-air-force-base-slated-get-six-f22-raptors?cid=rltd

"Tea party activists drawn to Colonial Williamsburg"

At least we have boost in tourists coming to Virgina filling are hotels, spending money and learning the truth about United States History instead of what is passed around on miscellaneous blogs!

Campbell's hope is that such visitors come away having learned something about the nuance and messiness of history — a theme that runs through all of Colonial Williamsburg's programming.

Sometimes, the activists appear surprised when the Founding Fathers don't always provide the "give 'em hell" response they seem to be looking for.

When a tourist asked George Washington a question about what should be done to those colonists who remain loyal to the tyrannical British king, Washington interjected: "I hope that we're all loyal, sir" — a reminder that Washington, far from being an early agitator against the throne, was among those who sought to avoid revolution until the very end.

When another audience member asked the general to reflect on the role of prayer and religion in politics, he said: "Prayers, sir, are a man's private concern. They are not a matter of public interest. And nor should they be. There is nothing so personal as a man's relationship with his creator."

And when another asked whether the Boston Tea Party had helped rally the patriots, Washington disagreed with force: The tea party "should never have occurred," he said. "It's hurt our cause, sir."

That may not have been the answer the man expected from the father of our country. But even in that spirited crowd, no one was going to tell George Washington he was wrong.

http://hamptonroads.com/2010/08/tea-party-activists-drawn-colonial-williamsburg

The National Governors Association will hold its annual meeting in Williamsburg in 2012

The event, which draws about 1,000 attendees, will run from July 13 through 15, and marks the first time the annual meeting has been held in Virginia since it last came to Williamsburg in 1957.

The NGA is a bipartisan organization that represents the governors of the 50 states; the commonwealths of the Northern Mariana Islands and Puerto Rico; and the territories of American Samoa, Guam and the Virgin Islands.

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/news/2010/aug/11/national-governors-association-will-hold-2012-meet-ar-421723/

Just came back from New Orleans and had a blast! At times it reminded be of Norfolk actually and riding the trolley gave me a taste of our light rail to come. Has anyone been there before?

How do I resize the pics? There huge, sorry. Wow.

Up close of downtown/CBD

post-3122-000867300 1281848654_thumb.jpg

Jackson Square (Andrew, that is), St. Louis Basilica (Catholic Cathedral) and 2 state buildings (now museums) flaking it. French Quarter

post-3122-071935300 1281848688_thumb.jpg

The French Quarter

post-3122-088719700 1281848774_thumb.jpg

Downtown and Pontchartrain Expswy Bride over Miss. River. Taken from Steamboat Natchez dinner cruise on Miss. River.

post-3122-050985100 1281848822_thumb.jpg

The French/Spanish/British/American/Carribean/African tradition and history of this place is very cool, unique. It was interesting to learn that all but 4 buildings in the French Quarter are actually built in Colonial Spanish architecture not French Colonial. Thanks to two fires that destroyed it. It was rebuilt during Spanish rule, hence the Spanish architecture.

Edited by metalman

with the recent announcement of JFCOM shutdown, do you guys think our local leaders will get it in their heads that we need more than the military here? what makes the environment in this region not so business friendly? There are alot of nice size cities that are not a pass through from other cities. I keep thinking about what could be done to change this region to attract better higher paying jobs but I can't come up with any ideas as to why no one wants to be here. Maybe with the large amount of military they don't want to be here. opinions?

with the recent announcement of JFCOM shutdown, do you guys think our local leaders will get it in their heads that we need more than the military here? what makes the environment in this region not so business friendly? There are alot of nice size cities that are not a pass through from other cities. I keep thinking about what could be done to change this region to attract better higher paying jobs but I can't come up with any ideas as to why no one wants to be here. Maybe with the large amount of military they don't want to be here. opinions?

I think the thing that drives so many away is the low pay vs. high cost-of-living. The military definitely impacts that with the housing allowance. I love this area, but the prices on some apartments and condos are ridiculous. Prices need to go back to their early-2000s rates. Even if you adjust for inflation, a house/condo that sold for $75,000 c. 2003 should not be $125K! The bubble burst, but housing is still ridiculous here. Yet, salaries remain low.

I think the thing that drives so many away is the low pay vs. high cost-of-living. The military definitely impacts that with the housing allowance. I love this area, but the prices on some apartments and condos are ridiculous. Prices need to go back to their early-2000s rates. Even if you adjust for inflation, a house/condo that sold for $75,000 c. 2003 should not be $125K! The bubble burst, but housing is still ridiculous here. Yet, salaries remain low.

I'm talking more at the corporate level. Why is it so hard for this area to pull in the businesses or create the businesses here. Is it the leadership here that doesn't know what to do to create the environment? Are they too comfortable making their money and not worried about the rest of us?

I'm talking more at the corporate level. Why is it so hard for this area to pull in the businesses or create the businesses here. Is it the leadership here that doesn't know what to do to create the environment? Are they too comfortable making their money and not worried about the rest of us?

I didn't mean for that to become so much of a housing cost rant, but I agree with you. I've ragged on them in the past, but I have to give Fraim and (formerly) Oberndorf a lot of credit for how they've built their respective cities in the last 20+ years. However, the next step needs to be landing another Fortune 500 company, a civilian company that can help the local economy. I'm 27 and love the area, but there's not a lot being offered for the young professionals. It's time for the mayors to start looking into that, and realize that the nearly 2 million people in HR is more than just military. And offer some competitive salaries, stop acting like anything over $35,000 should be reserved for someone with 10 years experience and a ton of Master's degrees. $35K is really not a lot of money, esp. when the average apartment is close to 4-figures...

The solution to making DT Norfolk grow is not luxury apartments, but more office towers to lure businesses.

Edited by BFG

I didn't mean for that to become so much of a housing cost rant, but I agree with you. I've ragged on them in the past, but I have to give Fraim and (formerly) Oberndorf a lot of credit for how they've built their respective cities in the last 20+ years. However, the next step needs to be landing another Fortune 500 company, a civilian company that can help the local economy. I'm 27 and love the area, but there's not a lot being offered for the young professionals. It's time for the mayors to start looking into that, and realize that the nearly 2 million people in HR is more than just military. And offer some competitive salaries, stop acting like anything over $35,000 should be reserved for someone with 10 years experience and a ton of Master's degrees. $35K is really not a lot of money, esp. when the average apartment is close to 4-figures...

The solution to making DT Norfolk grow is not luxury apartments, but more office towers to lure businesses.

Really govt can't create the jobs. All they can do is make it a business friendly environment and hope that businesses notice it. Wish the feds realize that...there is more govt jobs in america than privatized jobs. I think that we can't rely on the people running this region anymore to change the region the way it needs to be.

JFCOM salaries and skill sets are much more than an average sailor/soldier, in fact most are private contractors. So your point about allowances is moot.