Hampton Roads Off-Topic Talk

Cotuit

We haven't discussed the UFL team in awhile. They are still headed to the area, but are still deciding on the venue...my money's on either Foreman Field or the Sportsplex. Maybe Dick Price Stadium.

However, it's articles like this that annoy me. I've commented in the past when he wrote a similar article.

http://hamptonroads.com/2010/09/name-team-while-song-and-dance-ufl-fresh-mind

I understand that HR has been sold the same thing over and over again, but again what the article fails to mention is that past efforts failed for other reasons, i.e. lack of an appropriate venue. At least in the UFL's case, they do have venues to choose from, they just don't know which one.

I just have a serious problem with sports reporters selling negative press to the public, esp. when the Pilot is supposed to be working with the UFL on a "Name That Team" contest.

I think the thing that drives so many away is the low pay vs. high cost-of-living. The military definitely impacts that with the housing allowance. I love this area, but the prices on some apartments and condos are ridiculous. Prices need to go back to their early-2000s rates. Even if you adjust for inflation, a house/condo that sold for $75,000 c. 2003 should not be $125K! The bubble burst, but housing is still ridiculous here. Yet, salaries remain low.

not true on salaries; according to BEA, Hampton Roads is now at 100% of the national per capita income versus the 85-87% back in 1996

http://www.spiritmag..._hampton_roads/

Here is a nice spread that Spirit Magazine did on Hampton Roads in there September issue. According to the pilot, they were not paid to do this.

the articles will be posted on Southwest's website for a year, and I've archived them here for download as well: http://smartregion.org/2010/09/hampton-roads-featured-in-spirit-magazine/ Pam Lingle (VB) is correct; this was not a paid advertorial section. Many thanks to the local organizations providing content and to the advertisers who supported it: Norfolk International Airport, Hampton Roads Economic Development Alliance (HREDA), ODU Business Gateway, Bon Secours, Tidewater Community College (TCC), City of Virginia Beach, Founders Inn, City of Norfolk and the Virginia Arts Festival.

We haven't discussed the UFL team in awhile. They are still headed to the area, but are still deciding on the venue...my money's on either Foreman Field or the Sportsplex. Maybe Dick Price Stadium.

However, it's articles like this that annoy me. I've commented in the past when he wrote a similar article.

http://hamptonroads....-ufl-fresh-mind

I understand that HR has been sold the same thing over and over again, but again what the article fails to mention is that past efforts failed for other reasons, i.e. lack of an appropriate venue. At least in the UFL's case, they do have venues to choose from, they just don't know which one.

I just have a serious problem with sports reporters selling negative press to the public, esp. when the Pilot is supposed to be working with the UFL on a "Name That Team" contest.

I just voted for "Hampton Roads Destroyers" at http://hamptonroads.com/yourteamyourname where online voting is happening until Oct. 2, 2010, and you can vote as many times as you like.

Other teams in UFL:

Florida Tuskers (already a Jacksonville team in the NFL)

Hartford Colonials

Las Vegas Locos

Omaha NightHawks

Sacramento Mountain Lions

Perhaps a social media campaign to help put Hampton Roads on the map? Thoughts?

P.S. don't feed the negativity; that's what they want. turn it into a positive!!!! and vote!

• 2 weeks later...

Great articles Missy!

Another update: the mascot poll has been narrowed down to three names: Destroyers, Tritons, or Navigators. In a radio interview yesterday, Doug Williams revealed that the team will be the Virginia something, which I think is great for showing our regional unity.

Still no word on a venue, crossing my fingers for the Sportsplex, even though that requires a major upgrade. On the plus side, it could help possibly lure MLS down the line...HR ranked #4 in World Cup ratings over the summer, so I think the fanbase is here...

Great articles Missy!

Another update: the mascot poll has been narrowed down to three names: Destroyers, Tritons, or Navigators. In a radio interview yesterday, Doug Williams revealed that the team will be the Virginia something, which I think is great for showing our regional unity.

Still no word on a venue, crossing my fingers for the Sportsplex, even though that requires a major upgrade. On the plus side, it could help possibly lure MLS down the line...HR ranked #4 in World Cup ratings over the summer, so I think the fanbase is here...

hmm.. I would have thought "Hampton Roads" as the team name would have been more regional. If the problem truly is that people don't know where Hampton Roads is (I still want to see a statistically accurate study), then having a pro sports team would put us on the map!

• 1 month later...

http://hamptonroads....-7-cities-drama

This is a TV show that me and other crew members have worked on for the last two years. I'm in the picture, in the yellow plaid shirt. The show, "7 Cities" airs on Cox 11...there's been some growing pains, but it's our attempt to do a fictional series set in the area. It's something that's only been done once, a Pat Robertson-produced Christian soap opera from the early-80s shot on location here, and even then they only used locations and changed the name of the town.

The Christian soap was called "Another Life" and aired on his CBN cable network. Ours airs in Hampton Roads and Roanoke...

Edited by BFG

As in cheap? Or as in soap opera cheesy? LOL

If the former, then yeah, that was something I would've loved to change, as we were out of pocket. As for picture quality, for some reason, it only looks like that over-the-air on Cox. When I watch the DVD on my or someone else's TV, it looks fine. It's been a learning process on what to do differently.

Edited by BFG

I can tell the budget was low....I didn't mean to sound like towards your work...especially since you guys did it on your own dime...I know I couldn't have done half as good so maybe I should have kept that comment to myself! I use to love the wire

As in cheap? Or as in soap opera cheesy? LOL

If the former, then yeah, that was something I would've loved to change, as we were out of pocket. As for picture quality, for some reason, it only looks like that over-the-air on Cox. When I watch the DVD on my or someone else's TV, it looks fine. It's been a learning process on what to do differently.

I am glad that some people are thinking of doing things like this....Keep up the good work!

regardless, you gotta start somewhere. good job.

Thanks man!

I can tell the budget was low....I didn't mean to sound like towards your work...especially since you guys did it on your own dime...I know I couldn't have done half as good so maybe I should have kept that comment to myself! I use to love the wire

I am glad that some people are thinking of doing things like this....Keep up the good work!

No worries! I actually appreciated that. :-)

And thanks!

• 7 months later...

Hello everybody! It's been quite a long while since I've posted, but I found something that I had to share with everyone at UP (plus my family/friends are rather indifferent at best).

http://www.siemens.com/entry/cc/en/greencityindex.htm

The Siemens Green City Index is very interesting, but not too surprising, particularly for present company. It ranks major cities in given regions (Europe, North America, etc.) by 9 measures of commitment to green initiatives with an extensive guide to the methodology. (All data are current through the end of 2010, where available.)

Spoiler alert (though not much of a surprise), San Francisco decisively outpaces other cities in North America, with comprehensive efforts toward green initiatives through construction (tons of LEED-certified buildings, among other measures), through commuting initiatives and the expansion of mass transit in the Bay Area, and other initiatives such as the foci of local businesses (high-tech and services). If nothing else, reading through the world's greenest cities' amenities and programs offers an interesting insight into the cutting edge of urban planning and design, as well as the highest benchmarks for design/planning success as defined by major international firms, e.g., Siemens, exactly the type of company many of us have long fantasized about coming to Hampton Roads. Local cities can take a lot of lessons from the cities on the list (not just SF and Copenhagen, but a range of cities to include Seattle, New York, Washington D.C., Brussels, among others), and a lot of these lessons correspond to things that have long been posted all over UP -- foster density and walkability wherever possible, pursue energy-efficient construction, elect energy-conscious leadership, improve transportation - especially mass transit, etc.

Anyway, enjoy perusing the rankings! I already lost an hour of the holiday to it :P

• 3 months later...

Hi everyone!

Just wanted to let you all know there's a free screening of MARGIN CALL this Tuesday, November 1 at the AMC Hampton Towne Center!

Margin Call focuses on a 24 hour period inside a wall street investment banking firm just before the financial collapse. It's got a phenomenal cast and has been getting great reviews, so come see it for free before it officially opens in Norfolk.

The screening starts at 7 and all seating is first come first serve, so if you're interested get there a few minutes early. Hope you can make it!

An RSVP is required to attend:

• 7 months later...

hamptonroads.com/2012/06/study-sharing-services-among-cities-would-save

Another study on what to do about this region. I'd love to see the councils get off their butts and make it happen, but there's too much pettiness for it to become a reality.

• 1 year later...

http://www.poquoson-va.gov/economic_development/big_woods

BIGWOOD1.JPG

I had no idea where else to post this since we don't exactly get frequent development news out of Poquoson. Nevertheless, it seems the city is moving forward with plans to develop a "town center" (in the traditional sense) around the existing block of retail and commercial spaces at the junction of Victory Blvd. and Wythe Creek Road.

Given the location's proximity to Langley AFB and the NASA-Langley Research Center(s), I think the emphasis on a R&D-oriented development is (perhaps surprisingly) sensible. The "Village Commercial" parcels seem to be a new urbanist-styled proposal, with ground level shops and apartments above. With very high median per capita and household incomes ($65k/year+ for a household), not to mention the dearth of proximate retail/commercial options within a few miles' radius (the nearest major shopping centers are about 4 miles west along Victory, a stretch of George Washington Highway near the York Co./Hampton lines, and the Mercury Boulevard corridor 4 miles east, in Hampton proper), that makes sense to me. I think a mini-Merchant's Square could actually function well in Poquoson and draw a lot of people out of southern York County who are reluctant to go as far as Oyster Point City Center, Port Warwick, or other boutique/niche retail centers, yet have the money to keep small businesses alive. Of course longterm execution, solid design, and implementation of a sound infrastructure network are the keys to making this successful, but this is still a really interesting move from a local city I wouldn't have anticipated. 

My only major fears are the usual and obvious: I hope the apartments in the plan are reasonably priced, since the tiny housing market of Poquoson increasingly trends very, very high-end. Also, again with respect to LAFB/NASA proximity, affordable apartments that are safer and connected to neighborhood essentials (green spaces, retail, commercial, banks) present a smarter alternative to the massive apartment complexes at similar distances from the base's gates.

(The original announcement of the plans from early 2010 can be found here.)

Edited by PeninsulaKiddo

I grew up and went to high school in Poquoson. I have heard about the Big Woods being developed since I was in elementary school.... I'm now in my mid 30s. I'll believe it when I see it since the city and it's long term residents HATE change.

Edited by zeppelin14
  • Like 1

I grew up and went to high school in Poquoson. I have heard about the Big Woods being developed since I was in elementary school.... I'm now in my mid 30s. I'll believe it when I see it since the city and it's long term residents HATE change.

Agreed -- a solid 13 years growing up just across the York Co. line and I agree completely. I will say that economic pressures (massive deficits, by Poquoson scale) and the natural cap on population growth (developable land has essentially reached its limit) may finally put a fire under city leaders this time. Signage is up behind the LFCU bank branch on Wythe Creek (no pictures or renderings, though). So, perhaps, that means something is actually coming together. Only time will tell... and time moves slowly out there, hah.

• 4 months later...

From time to time I like to read Hampton Roads Magazine. It's a pretty good publication and comes in handy if I ever need to find a good restaurant.

They have changed their name to Coastal Virginia Magazine, a regional title that I've seen suggested on a few occasions. And it's a title that I'm not very fond of...it sounds small-townish not fitting for a metro of 2 million people. Sorry, when I hear "Coastal Virginia", I think of a quaint little seaside town, something like Chincoteague, Sandbridge, or even the Outer Banks. Either that or a retirement community.

I get that the beach is our bread and butter outside of the military, but we're so much more than that now, and VB is not the sleepy beach town it was 50 years, no matter how hard people wanna try. If we want titles that people recognize, why can't we just be Norfolk-Virginia Beach?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...