Hampton Roads Off-Topic Talk

Cotuit

I am posting this with permission of Scott B from RCW. Does anyone know what this issue is about? Are you familiar with the Norview area of Norfolk? What is the exact function of the blight task force?

I thought I would post this, but I will not speak to it, since I am not as familiar with local issues in Norfolk as I used to be.

Dear (Norfolk)City Council,

It has come to my attention that Councilman Anthony Burfoot, along with Del. Kenneth Alexander and membersof a Blight Task Force attended a meeting in thecommunity of Norview Heights last evening, 5/15/2005.

We understand that Mr. Burfoot discussed bringing in a Blight Task Force into our neighborhood. As President of the Norview Heights Civic League I must inform you that the organization calling itself Norview Heights/Greenwood Park Civic League does not represent the Norview Heights neighborhood. We have not given our permission for the City of Norfolk to bring a Blight Task Force into our community.

Several members of the Norview Heights Civic League have volunteered to a phone bank over the next few days to notify the residents of Norview Heights of this issue and give them Virginia's legal definition of Blight. This will also be on the agenda at our next meeting on June 9th, 2005. We feel that it is not in the best interest of the Norview Heights community to make a decision on such a potentially impactful

process without all the facts.

Norview Heights Civic League is registered with the State Corporation Commission. If you would like to review our By-laws, you may do so by contacting me at the telephone number below.

We do hope you understand our position and that youwill comply.

Sincerely,

Alma D. Kesling

President - Norview Heights Civic League

757 333-8694

Norview is around the 5 points area and there is alot of bad neighborhoods. I grew up down the road from there and seen alot of things around there and my neighborhood. 5 points is where Chesapeake blvd., Norview ave, and sewells pt rd. meet. Its right by the Norview exit away from the airport on 64

Edited by rusthebuss

Norview is around the 5 points area and there is alot of bad neighborhoods. I grew up down the road from there and seen alot of things around there and my neighborhood.  5 points is where Chesapeake blvd., Norview ave, and sewells pt rd. meet. Its right by the Norview exit away from the airport on 64

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So presumably a blight task force would exist to go in and clean up/revitalize such areas. Has anyone heard or seen anything about the type of development they plan to do in that area?

So presumably a blight task force would exist to go in and clean up/revitalize such areas. Has anyone heard or seen anything about the type of development they plan to do in that area?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This area is by where they just built the new Norview high school and I have not heard about any development there. I live off of Chesapeake in the Bayview area not too far from that area.

Norview doesn't need a blight task force? Yeah like I don't need oxygen. That area is full of crime and blight everywhere you turn. They should be happy that the city council may get involved and get some things turned around in that area. It's definately a fine example of an "inner suburb" that has gone bad.

I am not sure what areas are covered by the term "Norview Heights" as the only thing higher than the ground is the freeway but even that needs to be fixed up in that area lol.

I am not too sure what all can be done with the area though. It's got tons of small houses, apartments and they are not cohesive. Not an area where I would choose to live.

Edited by JPN0731

Does Granby street run thru Norview on its route from downtown to Hampton Roads tunnel? I remember a movie theater called (I believe)the Riverview which was the only cinerama screen in Virginia in the 50s, and I think it was on Granby close to a shopping center that came into Granby from the southeast (5 points, maybe?).

Does Granby street run thru Norview on its route from downtown to Hampton Roads tunnel?  I remember a movie theater called (I believe)the Riverview which was the only cinerama screen in Virginia in the 50s, and I think it was on Granby close to a shopping center that came into Granby from the southeast (5 points, maybe?).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No it does not run through that area at all. The area where the Riverview Theater is located is called (surprsingly enough) Riverview. :lol:

Here is a map of Norview with the star right on Five Points (it just did that itself)

Norview

"Sales here were up by 9.2 percent at the end of last year, or $10 billion in 2003 versus $10.96 billion in 2004. Hunter looked at Norfolk, Virginia Beach, Chesapeake, Portsmouth and Suffolk."

Why'd they leave out Hampton and NN?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

From the website:

ODU examines the region as a whole instead of singling out the Southside, explained Agarwal, because many people commute back and forth to the Peninsula and it is hard to tell where they are spending their money. However, he said ODU figures and explanations mirror Hunter

INSIDER NEWS

Corps plays key transportation role

Projects span dredging, dams, bridges and port projects

By Philip Newswanger

Inside Business - Hampton Roads

Monday May 23, 2005

When Col. Yvonne J. Prettyman-Beck of the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers referenced an aerial photo of Craney Island during a recent speech, she made it emphatically clear that the green cross-hatch lines extending west from the dredge spoil site in Portsmouth shouldn

^ Yep. And we have a lot to offer. Yeah the Forbes ranking is only just that - a ranking - but it goes to show we do have the 'goods'.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think the rankings may be more important than people are led to believe. At the very least its some good name recognition.