Sign in to follow this  
HankStrong

I4 - Beyond the Ultimate [Pre-construction]

30 minutes ago, Dale said:

Have they expedited the timeline ? I'd always heard 2021-2022. This says complete in 2021.

Ultimate is 2021.  Everything I had heard said 2021.  BEYOND is like something ridiculous like 2027??? I'm not sure.  It is supposed to start in 2019.

Discuss.

But don't disagree.

In all seriousness, I think I-4 should be built as a triple-decker.

Imagine how big-city we would all feel then!

All our petty insecurities about our city would be instantly washed away.

Go tall or go home.

• Like 1

Beyond makes sense - can’t dump all that traffic into the outlets and to Lake Mary and just go back to 6 lanes/no tolls.    Originally project probably should have been Disney to Maitland in the first place 

9 hours ago, HankStrong said:

Ultimate is 2021.  Everything I had heard said 2021.  BEYOND is like something ridiculous like 2027??? I'm not sure.  It is supposed to start in 2019.

The 3.5 miles south of the ultimate project from Kirkman to 528 has been accelerated and 2021 is the  is the target completion date, only about a half a year behind the rest of the ultimate project. This addition will allow the Grand National ramps that are already built to open really only has added one bridge/interchange, Sand Lake Rd on top of 528 itself, which I imagine is at least partially part of the current project there? Beyond that we are looking at a long time.

Edited by aent
  • Like 1

The Sand Lake Road/Ultimate project has a lot of work associated with it.  I dread going to my parents house now because of the traffic.  I hate to see the MOT for that.

To be less of a barrier on a walking level. The idea is to connect everything again with the Under-I as a catalyst, and the sports venues, MEC, and Creative Village as the drawing factor.  I like the general idea and the overall plan, although it seems to be gentrification of the Parramore  and Callahan areas with a bias toward moneyed interests as opposed to people who actually live in the area and the future of the residents or students.

1 hour ago, orange87 said:

Does anybody know why I-4 Ultimate is making the highway so high up now? Is there a reason for that?

I think part of the reason is the level the highway out in general, hills and valleys, while not dramatic, can increase traffic as people slow down because they can't see what's over the hill.

• Like 1

The vertical curve of the highways have specific height/slope requirements for the speed.   The new speed limit through downtown will be 60 mph which requires flatter curves.  Also tying the ramps to the highway may be part of it.  SR 408 will have direct access ramps flying every which way through downtown.  The current high piers isn't even their final form.

FYI, the redo of the US 92/I-4 interchange in Daytona- the i-95 overpass is noticeably taller than the old bridges.

It makes me wonder whether they eventually want to increase the max height of semi-trucks on US roads....dunno.

Since the construction began several years ago, I had been using 92 as a shortcut to I-95N.  When they flopped the 92 left exit to the correct side it completely threw that off for me.  I was lost as to where I was on I-4!!!

17 hours ago, jrs2 said:

FYI, the redo of the US 92/I-4 interchange in Daytona- the i-95 overpass is noticeably taller than the old bridges.

It makes me wonder whether they eventually want to increase the max height of semi-trucks on US roads....dunno.

The other thing I believe I've heard, but not on that side of things, is building them to support a HSR in line with I-4 for the entire length, don't know if thats the reason on these... they apparently needs more height

I-4 North of SR 44 and I-4 South of SR 528 officially has space for HSR in the median as of right now.  It used to be as far down as Lake Mary, but they've taken it out.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this