I4 - Beyond the Ultimate [Pre-construction]

HankStrong

24 minutes ago, codypet said:

Diane Gardner is the Dean of Moss Park Elementary School.

I didn't realize being a dean of an elementary school across town made you qualified to write about highway design as a Guest Columnist for the Orlando Sentinel.  Here I got two Engineering degrees like a sucker.  

Also what the hell does a dean do in elementary school? Makes no sense.

• Thanks 1

• 5 weeks later...
On 5/19/2021 at 9:04 AM, prahaboheme said:

Is there a long term plan to create a Daryl Carter Pkwy interchange?  Seems setup for a future on/off ramp.

Already in the works.

On 5/24/2021 at 10:44 AM, JFW657 said:

So, how far out are we from the entire project being finished?

I haven't personally driven on I-4 since around 2012, so I have no idea how far along it is.

I think I rode in a car as a passenger a couple of times after that, but it was years ago as well. 

Just the express lanes now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Express lanes and final asphalt courses on the general lanes.  The ancillary roads like Sylvia and some others are finishing up.  They'll have to clean up the mess they made on Garland and Hughey and some other approach roads (like Orange).  Landscaping and signs.  Lots of little stuff that adds up.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, codypet said:

They're saying the end of the year, but I think that's too hopeful.  That said my understanding is Sand Lake to 528 is supposed to get started around that same time, so we may not actually see all the barricades go away.

so, is SLR to 528 considered I-4 Ultimate 1.5?  And, is there any discussion for funding for I-4 Ultimate 2.0, from 528 to US 27 and from 434 north into VoCo?

Its officially part of I-4 BTU but that segment is moving along considerably earlier than the rest of it.

image.png.25198483a532b3edd0f51c3f61d20c32.png

Letting is March 2022, so next summer you'll probably start seeing dirt moved around.

If my suspicions of the current project is correct, then you probably will still see barricades up in that area.  

Edited by codypet
  • Like 1

IMO I personally haven't read the RFP but the I-4 Ultimate project and compared it with the BTU project but I would assume the RFPs are written similar (to keep the projects looking similar).  The kicker comes with the DB firms.  The contractor and engineering firms are almost guaranteed to be different in BTU vs Ultimate and how they read and interpret the RFP could mean there's going to be some differences between the two both visually and how they operate potentially.  

16 hours ago, jgardnerucf said:

Same motif all the way down to championsgate DD.

Correct, but in the near term there's going to be a few band-aid projects to help things out before I4 BTU makes its way down there and eventually to US 27.  Notably the Championsgate interchange redesign and the Aux lanes between 429 and Championsgate. 

• Like 2

On 6/25/2021 at 11:17 AM, prahaboheme said:

Isn't that the "Beyond the Ultimate" segment and eventually to Darryl Carter Parkway?

Partially.  The sand lake portion is final BtU configuration.  Daryl Carter is kind of separate but will be built to be compatible to the final BtU configuration.  It may be a long time before full BtU.

4 hours ago, codypet said:

Correct, but in the near term there's going to be a few band-aid projects to help things out before I4 BTU makes its way down there and eventually to US 27.  Notably the Championsgate interchange redesign and the Aux lanes between 429 and Championsgate. 

Exactly.

On 6/25/2021 at 2:29 PM, codypet said:

IMO I personally haven't read the RFP but the I-4 Ultimate project and compared it with the BTU project but I would assume the RFPs are written similar (to keep the projects looking similar).  The kicker comes with the DB firms.  The contractor and engineering firms are almost guaranteed to be different in BTU vs Ultimate and how they read and interpret the RFP could mean there's going to be some differences between the two both visually and how they operate potentially.  

RFPs are always evolving.  You are correct, contracts all have their challenges.

Edited by EngineerNole

8 hours ago, jgardnerucf said:

In a rush to go to mystery fun house from longwood? Lol

Is there still a Mystery Fun House?

I was under the impression that they had closed that place down and demo'd it years ago.... 

But then again, I don't get around much. 

Especially not to Longwood. 

Edited by JFW657

4 hours ago, JFW657 said:

Is there still a Mystery Fun House?

I was under the impression that they had closed that place down and demo'd it years ago.... 

But then again, I don't get around much. 

Especially not to Longwood. 

It's been closed since 98 but the building had been used as Westgates training center since then.   It's still standing but parts of it have collapsed from lack of maintenance. 

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

John Mica writes a column in the Sentinel about what’s next for I4 (no word if the replacement bridge over the SJR will be named for @orange87 yet):

• Like 1