I4 - Beyond the Ultimate [Pre-construction]

HankStrong

On 2/10/2022 at 9:15 AM, JFW657 said:

So the big announcement on the local yokel news is that the express lanes will be open by the end of February.

Yay.

I doubt that I'll ever drive on one of them.

so if they started with the Beyond phase first, and built the express lanes between US 27 to 528 and they were ready to go, I would use those in a heartbeat.  Always a bottleneck down there...

On 2/10/2022 at 12:05 PM, codypet said:

Talked to one of the construction supers on the project and he gave me a reluctant "yeah" almost like they're still not ready.  So I was kind of surprised by that statement.

yeah...I don't think they'll be ready by then either...  that being said, those new overpasses for the Fla TNPK to the I-4 Express lanes look sweet.  Lovin' that...  hopefully those are the first phase of a new full interchange.

• 2 weeks later...
40 minutes ago, codypet said:

Driving in Atl this weekend I went a few miles before I saw cars on the express lanes.  I hope for everyone's sake this works.

Its worked wonders in Miami and the rest of South Florida. They're gonna be empty when traffic is free flow on the mainline, why pay a toll when you don't have to?

3 hours ago, angela1117 said:

I'm interested to see how all this goes. To me the lanes look very skinny and there's not really much of a shoulder. All I can think of is the stretch of I-95 in the NYC area where there's nowhere to stop if you have a breakdown. :tw_frown:

Speaking from my experience using them in Miami, the lanes are pretty skinny and it can get a little scary, but overall, I loved having the option of using them down there. Think of going down Robinson...but at 70mph. :tw_glasses:

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, HankStrong said:

My buddy's 70-80 year old grandma has a late-model Corvette Z-series for exactly the opposite reason.  She says "I'm an old lady with nothing to do, except get where I want to be at maximum speed!"  

Seriously, if you see a white-haired old lady driving a beautiful blue, completely tricked out, Corvette with a very, very, very distinctive custom plate (I promise you'll get the joke if you see it) driving around downtown,  the Milk District, WP, and Colonial Town... that's her.  She's super friendly, too.  Wave and yell "HEY GRAMMY!" If she likes you, then you won't get flipped the bird.  HAHAHAHA well, even if she does like you it's possible!  Although, she'll laugh and roar the engine at anyone.

Will keep an eye out! :D

• Like 1

I decided to go for a ride on the new express lanes. I picked it up east bound at Anderson and rode out to just short of Lake Mary. The lanes are not narrow at all, as some had feared, and it is double lane the entire way. The signage is not very intuitive explaining the exits, but I'm sure regular users will figure it out.

I then reversed course and went from Lake Mary to just short of Sandlake in a little less than 20 minutes (yes, people are speeding). Meanwhile traffic was as a standstill on 4 as usual.

My nearest entry/ exit is Anderson/South and those are dedicated exits- meaning you don't have to merge out of the express lane, into traffic and then make your way to your exit. This is convenient for me and I'll use it anytime I'm heading to Maitland or Lake Mary/ beyond. Or if for some God forsaken reason I need to go west on 4.

One interesting note, the east bound exit at South has a left turn and right turn lane, but also has a straight thru lane to Garland. It is a very odd configuration that you'll need to see to understand. West bound exit on South is a forced right turn toward Division.

Edited by AmIReal
  • Like 1

A few observations so far... I've noticed a few sloths going slower than traffic on general use lanes already. Yes the lanes are slightly narrower, but not a problem as long as people hauling boats and landscaping trailers stay out of Express lanes. FYI: they recommend pulling over onto the right shoulder (which is wider) if you've been involved in an accident that occurs within Express lanes.

I'm considering using the Express lanes on a regular basis because I work odd hours and typically drive to work during heavy traffic. Does anyone have any anecdotal feedback on E-Pass vs SunPass?  I've done a little research and read reviews and it seems like E-Pass is the better choice because they offer discounts and the transponder is free.

I've always been wary about getting a transponder and news reports about SunPass do not help seal the deal for me (i.e. customers receiving bogus charges, overcharged due to clerical errors, received high toll by plate fees even though the customer has a transponder, etc. ). If you get a transponder, it seems like you're opening yourself up to headaches of disputing charges with toll companies and possibly even have them send your bogus bill to  collections. Ain't nobody got time for that!

Edited by nite owℓ
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, nite owℓ said:

I'm considering using the Express lanes on a regular basis because I work odd hours and typically drive to work during heavy traffic. Does anyone have any anecdotal feedback on E-Pass vs SunPass?  I've done a little research and read reviews and it seems like E-Pass is the better choice because they offer discounts and the transponder is free.

E-Pass has high usage discounts (you have to hit 40+ tolls/month on CFX roads) and the transponder is free (Sunpass used to be free till they started pushing people from toll booths to toll by plate). Otherwise, the rates are the same and they are accepted everywhere. E Pass service centers and purchasing options are only in Orlando whereas Sunpass is available throughout the state. Other then that, they're the same.

Edited by aent
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, codypet said:

Epass Uni is the only one you pay for now in the Epass family.  

One thing that I noticed that was Lynx buses were sitting in the traffic backup and not using the express lanes.  Even the #50 bus.  I wonder if they were told not to yet.  They should be allowed to.

There’s also a charge for KnightPass, GatorPass and NolePass.

Of course, my KnightPass is worth every penny. Charge On!

Edited by spenser1058

ok.  I took the Longwood to Lee Road express lanes heading WB Saturday night.  The Altamonte Springs sign was lit; the Maitland sign wasn't.   Worked nicely and well lit.

Then I took the I-4 WB from after OBT to the "Kirkman" exit.  Well, it ain't Kirkman Rd; it's Grand National- and I almost missed it.  I get that Kirkman has the name recognition, but the sign should say "Grand National to Major to Kirkman" or something like that b/c I almost overshot it looking for Grand National.  It comes up right after the TNPK exit, which looks rather nice BTW.

Tonight I am going to try the Anderson Street or South Street to I-4 EB and see how those work.  Heading WB, the exit states "South Street."

I guess we should be used to it already; the I-4 EB exit for downtown states "South Street" when in essence the ramp turns into Garland but the first light you hit is South Street.

5 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

There’s also a charge for KnightPass, GatorPass and NolePass.

Of course, my KnightPass is worth every penny. Charge On!

I forgot the School Passes were a thing.

1 hour ago, jrs2 said:

ok.  I took the Longwood to Lee Road express lanes heading WB Saturday night.  The Altamonte Springs sign was lit; the Maitland sign wasn't.   Worked nicely and well lit.

Then I took the I-4 WB from after OBT to the "Kirkman" exit.  Well, it ain't Kirkman Rd; it's Grand National- and I almost missed it.  I get that Kirkman has the name recognition, but the sign should say "Grand National to Major to Kirkman" or something like that b/c I almost overshot it looking for Grand National.  It comes up right after the TNPK exit, which looks rather nice BTW.

Tonight I am going to try the Anderson Street or South Street to I-4 EB and see how those work.  Heading WB, the exit states "South Street."

I guess we should be used to it already; the I-4 EB exit for downtown states "South Street" when in essence the ramp turns into Garland but the first light you hit is South Street.

About the City named signs.  I feel like the original Conroy sign has lost its impact now that Maitland and Altamonte got their own versions.

Yea it should say Grand National to Kirkman.  

South St is correct per plan.  Only the movement from downtown to the express lanes originates from Anderson.  All the other approaches end up on South.  According to the plans there's a through movement from the Amway Center toward downtown on South, but I don't think that actually got built.  I believe you're forced onto the express lanes coming from the Amway Center.  I could be wrong though.

image.thumb.png.93a003c89162cda6f726c5f400c330bf.png

That said related to Garland, the old exit EB dumped you on Anderson at Boone so when you exited, you were technically on Boone, but the signed it Anderson.  So the Garland/South thing was at least consistent.

I drove the length of it on Sunday. It’s really nice but really didn’t think about how much I’m going to need to learn where to get on and off.

My personal biggest use cases seem to be left out of the picture. Heading onto I4 east from eastbound 408 and also heading north on turnpike from westbound I4.

On 2/26/2022 at 3:44 PM, AmIReal said:

One interesting note, the east bound exit at South has a left turn and right turn lane, but also has a straight thru lane to Garland. It is a very odd configuration that you'll need to see to understand. West bound exit on South is a forced right turn toward Division.

I noticed that on the original diagrams and have never understood how it would work... Even the new signage on Hughey confuses me what the left turn onto South does.  Hoping now with everything (except for the Boone connector to SoDo) open, it will all make since.

On 2/27/2022 at 2:49 PM, nite owℓ said:

I've always been wary about getting a transponder and news reports about SunPass do not help seal the deal for me (i.e. customers receiving bogus charges, overcharged due to clerical errors, received high toll by plate fees even though the customer has a transponder, etc. ). If you get a transponder, it seems like you're opening yourself up to headaches of disputing charges with toll companies and possibly even have them send your bogus bill to  collections. Ain't nobody got time for that!

Anecdotal feedback.  I'm a huge Sunpass proponent.  I think CFX operating EPass is a giant waste of time and money and wish they would just retire it.  But yes, as people said, if you are primarily driving on CFX toll roads, you will get a slight discount, and supposedly more of your toll money stays local.  Personally, I don't think the scale is worth it and the company largely pisses me off with the weird marketing/shade they throw at Sunpass.

If you're ever going to travelling outside of Florida, get the SunPass PRO (or I believe its what EPass calls UNI?).  It is intercompatible with EZPass in the northeast and midwest (which was supposed to be done by 2016 but better late than never).

As far as the bogus charges/clerical/toll by plate.... as long as you have auto-reload (I do $25) on, I've had 0 issues in almost 15 years.  Plus it works at MCO which is so awesome for my airport trips.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, AndyPok1 said:

I noticed that on the original diagrams and have never understood how it would work... Even the new signage on Hughey confuses me what the left turn onto South does.  Hoping now with everything (except for the Boone connector to SoDo) open, it will all make since.

Anecdotal feedback.  I'm a huge Sunpass proponent.  I think CFX operating EPass is a giant waste of time and money and wish they would just retire it.  But yes, as people said, if you are primarily driving on CFX toll roads, you will get a slight discount, and supposedly more of your toll money stays local.  Personally, I don't think the scale is worth it and the company largely pisses me off with the weird marketing/shade they throw at Sunpass.

If you're ever going to travelling outside of Florida, get the SunPass PRO (or I believe its what EPass calls UNI?).  It is intercompatible with EZPass in the northeast and midwest (which was supposed to be done by 2016 but better late than never).

As far as the bogus charges/clerical/toll by plate.... as long as you have auto-reload (I do $25) on, I've had 0 issues in almost 15 years.  Plus it works at MCO which is so awesome for my airport trips.

Epass pre-dates Sunpass and I may be biased, but the Sunpass technology and customer service tends to lag Epass historically.  The gap between them has closed in recent years to the point where the discounts is primary factor to get one over the other.

1 hour ago, codypet said:

Epass pre-dates Sunpass and I may be biased, but the Sunpass technology and customer service tends to lag Epass historically.  The gap between them has closed in recent years to the point where the discounts is primary factor to get one over the other.

No disagreement there.  I just tend to be somewhat monopolistic.  I think the overhead of two systems running/marketing/etc outweighs the benefit of one being slightly faster and more friendly