Jump to content

HankStrong

I4 - Beyond the Ultimate [Pre-construction]

Recommended Posts

People 

8 minutes ago, Xander said:

It's comical to me that we're having to suffer through years of traffic, but we're keeping the exact same number of free lanes and just adding another way for the state to make money off of people using the primary thruway in Central Florida. I know i'll be lambasted for this, but it would be nice if something as basic as getting around didn't have to be based on a tiered pay system that people defend as a great way for the state to make money instead of, I dunno, a road to get to and from work. How about we just widen the darn highway and keep all of the lanes free and we not try and collect yet more money off of people........ sorry, just annoyed. This project has annoyed me since they announced it. Sorry, but i'm not excited whatsoever about a free road becoming a partial toll road.

It is a proven fact that variable toll lanes improve traffic flow in congested, urban areas. FDOT know what they are doing. In fact, variable toll lanes improve throughput and flow of traffic even more than just adding the same number non-toll lanes to the existing roadway.  Additionally, a lot of this separate ROW is also being planned for future possibility of automation of vehicles or automated public transportation BRT-like or Uber "pod" like systems. 

Edited by dcluley98
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


53 minutes ago, Xander said:

It's comical to me that we're having to suffer through years of traffic, but we're keeping the exact same number of free lanes and just adding another way for the state to make money off of people using the primary thruway in Central Florida. I know i'll be lambasted for this, but it would be nice if something as basic as getting around didn't have to be based on a tiered pay system that people defend as a great way for the state to make money instead of, I dunno, a road to get to and from work. How about we just widen the darn highway and keep all of the lanes free and we not try and collect yet more money off of people........ sorry, just annoyed. This project has annoyed me since they announced it. Sorry, but i'm not excited whatsoever about a free road becoming a partial toll road.

I'm not lambasting you, but I 100% think you are way, way, way off base.

As the post above states, it has been proven this system improves the drive.  I've driven the piece in Miami several times and it was night & day better than before.  Absolutely better.

I understand that sometimes free vs. pay roads rile some people up, but coming from a state without tolls, but with income tax, I'll tell you that (despite driving toll roads every single day) I don't pay but a fraction of what I paid on my state income taxes.  I can also choose not to take toll roads at all, especially in the variable toll zones.  I couldn't choose to not pay taxes without going to jail.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, dcluley98 said:

People 

It is a proven fact that variable toll lanes improve traffic flow in congested, urban areas. FDOT know what they are doing. In fact, variable toll lanes improve throughput and flow of traffic even more than just adding the same number non-toll lanes to the existing roadway.  Additionally, a lot of this separate ROW is also being planned for future possibility of automation of vehicles or automated public transportation BRT-like or Uber "pod" like systems. 

Well I know we need more lanes either way. I just we didn't have to pay for the region being so many decades behind meeting the traffic projections for central Florida. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, HankStrong said:

I'm not lambasting you, but I 100% think you are way, way, way off base.

As the post above states, it has been proven this system improves the drive.  I've driven the piece in Miami several times and it was night & day better than before.  Absolutely better.

I understand that sometimes free vs. pay roads rile some people up, but coming from a state without tolls, but with income tax, I'll tell you that (despite driving toll roads every single day) I don't pay but a fraction of what I paid on my state income taxes.  I can also choose not to take toll roads at all, especially in the variable toll zones.  I couldn't choose to not pay taxes without going to jail.

yeah, off base here for sure. I don't think you understand how efficient the system that we'll have in Orlando will be.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Xander said:

Well I know we need more lanes either way. I just we didn't have to pay for the region being so many decades behind meeting the traffic projections for central Florida. 

The best part of this type of system is that if you do not wish to pay a single toll on I-4, you never have to.  You have the exact same number of lanes as you had access to before.  The lanes didn't decrease.  The road is still free.  However, I can see you are sitting in traffic and I'm late for a meeting in Altamonte Springs, so I can decide to pay a premium to pass you.

The key here is that it's not like the normal toll roads.  It has both free and pay options.  The benefit to you (the one opposed to pay for a free road) is that for every car like me (the ones who are willing to pay for faster service) that takes one more car out of your free section and makes your travel faster, too.  We both win. 

I win by getting to my destination much faster and you win in the wallet, but get the added perk of your way trip being a tiny bit faster, too.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, HankStrong said:

The best part of this type of system is that if you do not wish to pay a single toll on I-4, you never have to.  You have the exact same number of lanes as you had access to before.  The lanes didn't decrease.  The road is still free.  However, I can see you are sitting in traffic and I'm late for a meeting in Altamonte Springs, so I can decide to pay a premium to pass you.

The key here is that it's not like the normal toll roads.  It has both free and pay options.  The benefit to you (the one opposed to pay for a free road) is that for every car like me (the ones who are willing to pay for faster service) that takes one more car out of your free section and makes your travel faster, too.  We both win. 

I win by getting to my destination much faster and you win in the wallet, but get the added perk of your way trip being a tiny bit faster, too.

Not just a tiny bit faster either. It may sound counterintuitive, but it’s true.

Because the speed of the cars in the express lanes is greater than the free lanes, the commute in the free lanes could at times be increased by more than just adding two lanes to the free lanes.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, WAJAS98 said:

Not just a tiny bit faster either. It may sound counterintuitive, but it’s true.

Because the speed of the cars in the express lanes is greater than the free lanes, the commute in the free lanes could at times be increased by more than just adding two lanes to the free lanes.

Yup, I lived near Miami when they started the conversion..... they didn't actually add much pavement, but simply restriped the roadway and add plastic poles to convert the HOV lane to 2 express lanes, also reducing the width of the other lanes by 1 ft to make room for the new lane without extensive road work. With adding a single lane and the variable toll system, there was a rush hour improvement in the HOV lane from an average of 20mph to 60mph, and in the free lanes, from 15-20mph to 41-51mph.. Thats removing a free lane, reducing the width of the other free lanes, in order to add 1 new lane.

The Miami project also brought in way more revenue the originally anticipated, and the optional tolls began to fund free roadside assistance for both the paid and free lanes, subsidizing a express bus that utilizes the lanes, 22 ramp upgrades, and literally all of the maintenance on the highway, both free and paid lanes, so 95 in the areas with express lanes no longer require any tax dollars to operate, freeing up the money for other areas.

Considering that Orlando is simply adding 2 new lanes without the disadvantages of the Miami system, there is every reason to believe that upon completion of I-4 Ultimate, we should expect a speed increase of 20mph in the free lanes, and a speed increase of 40mph in the paid lanes, on average during peak periods.

Also, while we aren't getting "more" free lanes, we really are, because they are including many additional miles of free auxillary lanes and ramps that weren't there previously.

I'm pretty anti-tax and anti-toll, but I absolutely love this system. If only they'd convert 408 to have some free lanes and variable tolling on the paid ones....

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also, they're redoing every awful 50s/60s era interchange/ramp that was built when the metro was 10% of what it is today.  That alone will make so much difference that people don't realize.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, AndyPok1 said:

Also, they're redoing every awful 50s/60s era interchange/ramp that was built when the metro was 10% of what it is today.  That alone will make so much difference that people don't realize.

I believe there is at least one place that they are dropping the ball on this.  The Conroy exit off WB I-4 goes up to a traffic light that is always backed up.  No change except maybe a wider exit to accommodate the backed up traffic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, cwetteland said:

I believe there is at least one place that they are dropping the ball on this.  The Conroy exit off WB I-4 goes up to a traffic light that is always backed up.  No change except maybe a wider exit to accommodate the backed up traffic.

That's correct - an additional lane from OBT to Conroy. It seems to me that when this is backed up, its due to local traffic going into the mall area, and would require an extensive reconfiguration of those surface streets to move around that traffic better. Maybe direct access to the mall parking lot from I-4 Eastbound could have taken some of those cars off of Conroy.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I4 Ultimate: 21 miles Kirkman to Longwood

I4 Beyond the Ultimate: 20 miles on either end of Ultimate extending the express lanes out to Polk County and into Volusia (SR 472).

Im not going to thread nazi and ask people to sort out their posts but just wanted to include that in case it gets lost on people just now reading the thread.     

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Jernigan said:

I4 Ultimate: 21 miles Kirkman to Longwood

I4 Beyond the Ultimate: 20 miles on either end of Ultimate extending the express lanes out to Polk County and into Volusia (SR 472).

Im not going to thread nazi and ask people to sort out their posts but just wanted to include that in case it gets lost on people just now reading the thread.     

Any way to merge the threads? Even the FDOT website now is calling it "Ultimate and Beyond."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it’s important to remember that “just adding lanes” does not in the long run solve traffic problems. It’s called “induced demand”. I guess you could have made I4 6-7 lanes each direction if you wanted to. But all that would do is cause demand for the road to surge and then proceed to overwhelm the new interchanges and ramps  and increase suburban sprawl  (something we have quite enough of already)

Bad / old / short / clogged exit and entrance ramps cause quite a few highway backups and I4 had some of the worst. 

I do wish they would have found a way to keep the eastbound exit at Ivanhoe. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎6‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 9:30 PM, Dean wormer said:

I think it’s important to remember that “just adding lanes” does not in the long run solve traffic problems. It’s called “induced demand”. I guess you could have made I4 6-7 lanes each direction if you wanted to. But all that would do is cause demand for the road to surge and then proceed to overwhelm the new interchanges and ramps  and increase suburban sprawl  (something we have quite enough of already)

Bad / old / short / clogged exit and entrance ramps cause quite a few highway backups and I4 had some of the worst. 

I do wish they would have found a way to keep the eastbound exit at Ivanhoe. 

I just wanted to say I like the reference in your nick.

 

Plus your comment is solid.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎5‎/‎31‎/‎2019 at 11:08 PM, aent said:

I'm pretty anti-tax and anti-toll, but I absolutely love this system. If only they'd convert 408 to have some free lanes and variable tolling on the paid ones....

I wanted to point out that my feelings for the express lanes on 528 (forever the BEE-line, Spense!  FOREVER!) and Florida's Turnpike are the exact opposite.  I hate this.  You're double-dipping on the toll?  A toll on top of the toll on the toll road?  What the?

http://floridaexpresslanes.com/centralfl/

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 6/7/2019 at 9:30 PM, Dean wormer said:

I think it’s important to remember that “just adding lanes” does not in the long run solve traffic problems. It’s called “induced demand”. I guess you could have made I4 6-7 lanes each direction if you wanted to.

Simply adding lanes also creates a lot more traffic as everyone wants to use the left lane until they’re half a mile from their exit and then have to cross over 6 lanes, and those just getting on want to cross those 6 lanes into the fast lane. It ends up making everything just as inefficient. 

The way they’re doing it is the right way. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, sethM said:

Simply adding lanes also creates a lot more traffic as everyone wants to use the left lane until they’re half a mile from their exit and then have to cross over 6 lanes, and those just getting on want to cross those 6 lanes into the fast lane. It ends up making everything just as inefficient. 

The way they’re doing it is the right way. 

This morning.  White minivan with New Jersey plates.  Merges onto I-4.  Immediately forcibly moves over to left lane, just butting in and not caring.  Speed limit is 60.  Traffic is going 70.  NJ fools are now going 45.  Two exits later they force their way over to the right and exit.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, HankStrong said:

This morning.  White minivan with New Jersey plates.  Merges onto I-4.  Immediately forcibly moves over to left lane, just butting in and not caring.  Speed limit is 60.  Traffic is going 70.  NJ fools are now going 45.  Two exits later they force their way over to the right and exit.

I’ve never been a violent sort but if I ever went to Jersey I suspect I might become so. It’s probably best I just have Springsteen on vinyl and stay away.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/7/2019 at 9:30 PM, Dean wormer said:

I think it’s important to remember that “just adding lanes” does not in the long run solve traffic problems. It’s called “induced demand”. I guess you could have made I4 6-7 lanes each direction if you wanted to. But all that would do is cause demand for the road to surge and then proceed to overwhelm the new interchanges and ramps  and increase suburban sprawl  (something we have quite enough of already)

Bad / old / short / clogged exit and entrance ramps cause quite a few highway backups and I4 had some of the worst. 

I do wish they would have found a way to keep the eastbound exit at Ivanhoe. 

Ok... I absolutely LOVE your screen name!  

10 hours ago, HankStrong said:

This morning.  White minivan with New Jersey plates.  Merges onto I-4.  Immediately forcibly moves over to left lane, just butting in and not caring.  Speed limit is 60.  Traffic is going 70.  NJ fools are now going 45.  Two exits later they force their way over to the right and exit.

I'll see your NJ fools and raise you:

I'm in the right lane on I-4 about to get into the exit lane for The Diz.  A-hole comes up behind me, passes me to the right.  I'm thinking he really needs to get to Diz Springs quickly.  No no… He passes me in the exit lane and then gets back in front of me...  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

^usually that means you were driving too slow and your minivan blocked his sightline... :tw_tounge_wink::tw_skull:

I just love it when cars in the merge lane think it gives them a pass to blatantly disregard ample opportunities to merge and overtake everyone at the last second while in the shoulder.

Edited by nite owℓ
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, cwetteland said:

You guys do realize you are talking about 1-4 Ultimate.  This is the "Beyond the Ultimate" thread.  A whole different project.

Well that's confusing 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, cwetteland said:

You guys do realize you are talking about 1-4 Ultimate.  This is the "Beyond the Ultimate" thread.  A whole different project.

Is Beyond the project that deals with 528 to US 27, and SR 434 to SR 472 or SR 44?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

Is Beyond the project that deals with 528 to US 27, and SR 434 to SR 472 or SR 44?

Just call those “Lost In Space”

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Similar Content

    • By KJHburg
      Just went by the new RiverLights development off River Rd south of Wilmington. This is a great new master planned community over 1400 acres and with river access. They are building a great restaurant building right on the river and will have boardwalks and parks along the river. Plus there is some retail with apartments or condos above. Del Webb has started their age restricted community already in the community and I think other model homes are opening soon. Looks like a great new community. Could not find a master plan of it anywhere so if you know of one share it. Here is there webpage for the community http://www.riverlightsliving.com/




    • By pumphandle
      It looks like someone has created a Van Atta Connector page on wikipedia, but it's in danger of deletion within a few days if it can't be improved:
       
      https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Van_Atta_Connector
       
      I was sure that I had read about this before, but on searching the web for good sources, I came up surprisingly dry. Can somebody who follows this stuff edit that page to link out to a source or two, then remove the prime-for-deletion tag?
       
      Thanks in advance.
    • By US75Guy
      This article is several months old but gives a nice overview of the current project on I-25.   I kind of laugh at the "July 2013" completion date as I'm not sure they even have a chance of completion before the end of the year - but miracles can happen, right?
       
      http://www.bizjournals.com/denver/print-edition/2012/09/28/santa-fei-25-bridges-in-midst-of.html?page=all
       
             
    • By ucabear09
      Anyone have an idea what they're building behind the StudioPlus hotel at the intersection of Kanis Rd and Shackleford Rd? The lot was wooded but they have cleared it off and have put down a gravel base. Thanks!
    • By andremurra
      Statesboro seems to be bouncing back for some industry sectors - particularly multi-family construction as four major projects are now underway. One project is currently under construction, while three others are slated to begin construction in 2012. Hopefully these new projects will provide a multiplier effect for other industries to benefit as well. Several things have probably contributed to these new development - Georgia Southern University's explosive growth is definitely one obvious factor as the school has surpassed the 20,000 enrollment mark. Other local colleges have also surpasses previous enrollment records including East Georgia College which is currently building a new campus in Statesboro, as well as Ogeechee Technical College which is likely looking at major expansion soon as well (I understand they have broken their previous enrollment records).

      The Forum - 780 bedrooms - is a luxury apartment complex by Boca-Raton based Parkland Development Corporation currently under construction in on Old Register Road. The complex will feature 1/1, 2/2, 3/3, and 4/4 bedroom/bathroom layouts. This complex is obviously geared towards students and is expected to open in Summer 2012.

      I don't know much about The Monarch Douglas - 450 bedrooms, except that the name is very strange in my opinion.

      The Varsity Lodge - 500 bedrooms - sounds exciting to me because they will be demolishing a worn-down complex with the same name and rebuilding new 4-story units in the same location. Out with the old and in with the new. The current blighted property was foreclosed for good reason considering its terrible dis-repaired conditions. Personally, I think the location is the residences is a bit odd and would rather it be used for something else as its off the beaten path, but for the sake of density, I can complain.

      Aspen Heights - 800 bedrooms - sounds like its going to be a hott sprawled out mess, and future blight property from the layout as I understand it. I have not looked into this property (and I will later) but it seems like a terrible design just considering its dimensions. From what I understand there will be 213 separate buildings consisting of 2, 3, and 4 bedroom units - ughh.


      Other developments for Statesboro include a new Hampton Inn locating in the Market District. Some leaders are trying to create a TAD near the interstate for a new industrial park. There seems to be some undisclosed major development occurring on one of the already-congested highways. Georgia Southern is also getting a New York Pizzaria - Im not sure if that is a generic working name or the actual name of the eatery.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.