Sign in to follow this  
westsider28

Highland Developments

I figured we should have a thread dedicated to the Highland neighborhood, since there will likely be a lot of change happening here soon.  The City has put out an RFQ for planning, architectural, and urban design services for the development of a transformation plan for the Highland neighborhood, so that will be moving forward over the next few months and years.

I also noticed today that the remainder of the old Cammie Claggett buildings have been fenced off, so demolition should be starting shortly.  Of course, the new Highland Crossing affordable apartments replaced one block of the old public housing units about 2 years ago.  Nothing has yet been planned to replace the remaining units.  But that's where the plan referenced above will come into play.

Finally, Macedonia Missionary Baptist Church is expanding their facility and looking to engage in more community outreach.

This is obviously a very challenged neighborhood, but I hope that improvements and positive investments in the area can help turn things around over time.

Edited by westsider28

Demolition of the remainder of Cammie Clagett Courts is underway and will be complete in June.  Then the property will be given to Habitat for Humanity of Spartanburg, Homes of Hope, Nehemiah Community Revitalization Corporation, Northside Development Group and ReGenesis Community Development Corporation (Upstate Housing Partnership).